HybridZ

The whaletail produced 300 units of downforce. It's a tremendous device for generating rear downforce. The key is to couple it with the appropriate spoiler up front. We should have tested it with the MSA Type3 spoiler. That would have probably generated a combo similar to the APR rear wing data.

Mike

What jon says makes sense tom me, but I must be reading this chart wrong. Not that I doubt you, I just want to learn how to read this correctly for myself. Please point out my errors.

The legend states

"C LR rear lift neg # = lift, pos # = down force on rear end"

For test 10 the whaletail, I read column 4 (CLR) with a value of -.259, and column 12 ( rear lift) as ~-176.

It also looks like the other high downforce "spoilers" had the same negative number trends. Like I said I'm really getting lost.

positive #'s means a upward force (lift) is generated. -#'s means downforce. at the test speed, the ass end of the car got 176# heavier than it was standing still. equal to 2 bags of concrete sitting in the back. with that extra downforce (weight) it lifted up the nose of the car. this is where the air dam and ducting come in to bring the nose back down to level or there abouts. hope that helps

jimbo

positive #'s means a upward force (lift) is generated. -#'s means downforce. at the test speed, the ass end of the car got 176# heavier than it was standing still. equal to 2 bags of concrete sitting in the back. with that extra downforce (weight) it lifted up the nose of the car. this is where the air dam and ducting come in to bring the nose back down to level or there abouts. hope that helps

jimbo

So, I'm understanding the legend explaining the numbers wrong?

I just looked at the data again and it appears that the legend is backwards because the whale tail and wing all creat negative numbers where a stock rear end is a positive number. i think this is where the confusion stems from.

jimbo