HybridZ

Please Give Me Your Opinions........

mindcrime

I have the ability to purchase a 1972 240Z (I was born in 5/1972 :-D) that has NO rust, NO bondo, and is primo (I know the cars history too!) with only 67,000 miles. I can purchase that car, plus a donor '71 for a total of $4500. I know what you are thinking......JUMP ON IT!!!

However I am at a HUGE quandry. :confused:

First, I already have a '78 280Z that I am working on, and was going to be my "hot rod" with the addition of a V-8 or one of two turbo engines I have. So I have NO room for another "storage project car"---much less one more.

Secondly and most importantly, the car as it turns out was a car that was worked on regularily by my best High School's girl friend's father who is now deceased---he was the local legendary Datsun mechanic. With me being personal friends with the mechanic's family, AND the owner is a cousin, he would like it to remain mostly stock. SO out of honor for him, and the family I would like to keep it as stock as possible.

No problem. I only wanted triple DCOEs or the new Extrudabody FI setup (sneaking in a 3.1 stroker), retaining a more classic look, and to add a BW T-5 from a '83 Turbo, and new MSA front air dam, and a classic BRE styled spoiler. Unfortunately the car is a rare AUTOMATIC. The car is even WHITE for goodness sake, my favorite auto color!!! Even painted within the last three years, and under a carport.

PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR THOUGHTS ON THE MATTER, I am at a loss on this one:violin:.

If the car has good paint and a clean interior then it is well worth $4500. I don't think that is even a question. Especially with a second donor thrown in.

I am not really sure what you are asking. What is your quandry?

If nothing else it would make a good daily driver while you work on the 78.

Is the car a project? If it is running and good as it sits, then don't mess with it. Stick it in the garage and keep it clean. You still have one project and the second 240 to boot doesn't hurt. If you have no place to put it, find someone else to buy that one off you and recoupe some of your money.

If the car has good paint and a clean interior then it is well worth $4500. I don't think that is even a question. Especially with a second donor thrown in.

I am not really sure what you are asking. What is your quandry?

If nothing else it would make a good daily driver while you work on the 78.

Pop N Wood, my quandry was truly HOW could I take a pretty much pristene 240Z (from this area anyway.....not talking Arizona here), and do all the things that I want to with it. This car from the way it "sounds" deserves to kept bone stock.

Well, I went and checked out the "No Rust" '72 240Z and it had Z cancer in several places. Even my dad, who went along just to look, noted that it didn't look as good as the pics. There was even rust bubbles coming up from under the paint. I can see $2500, but not $4500. The donor car, was ROUGH, but with lots of money could be put back on the road. If the car had been as pristine as was noted in the add, I would have gladly given full NADA value but I was just not even close enough in my mind to make an offer......I figured I might insult the poor fella. I did give him a "tutorial" on WHERE and WHAT to look at when buying an early Z, and after showing him all his cars flaws (very graciously, I might add), he started seeing what I was talking about.

He truly seems to want ME to have the car, since I have connections to his extended family, and the deceased Datsun mechanic that was my friend's dad, so I think that I will just sit back and wait. If someone wants to pay him $4500, great for him, and I am happy that he got what he was asking. If he doesn't sell it, I have a gut feeling that he will call me and tell me to make him my best offer. Either or, my 280Z needs almost as much attention as the 240. Oh yeah, one last comment.....it was an AUTO tranny. YUCK.