HybridZ

Open the door it`s the 70`s calling!!!

660Z

Well maybe I have to explain for the younger or so members.

68 Nova on a 72 Chevy SLING BACK wrecker in front of a 1950`s house in 2007. Maybe you`ve seen this in your youth?....or like me stuck in the 70`s thru 80`s vortex.

Thanks everyone for the compliments on the Nova! Yes it is a 68 and the last year for the Chevy II name. I`ve owned this car for 20 yrs. and mothballed it when I got into 240z`s. It has a 396 and 4 speed combo and sounds NICE after not hearing it for a few years!

I`m in the process of freshing it up and getting it tagged for the street, which is the reason for the trial run of learning how to hook it up to the wrecker. Since the car still has to pass emissions (68 was the first year to have them, lucky me!) I have to really detune the car for it to pass. So much so it won`t rev pass 2k.

The wrecker I got 2 yrs ago. for $500 bucks. A local autobody shop bought it brand new in 72. It has 19,000 miles on it and was only used locally and apperantly not much over the years. It runs great and drives like a new car which is something you wouldn`t expect out of an old truck.

Since i`ve owned it I`ve updated the wheels from the original 2 piece deathtraps to a modern 1 piece rim, replaced the clutch and got the PTO to work again, repainted it and replaced the oddball wrecker only lights and turn signals.

Mark

The Wrecker rocks too. Everyone needs a wrecker as a 2nd car. Why didn't I think of that years ago? It would have saved me and my parents a lot of stress and dollars. It seems like I spent as much time attached to a tow strap as I did driving my 2000 roadster when I was in high school (so bad I carried the tow strap in the trunk and when I called my mom, she would often answer with..."OK where are you"...) That is a really rare and cool combination of vehicles.

• 2 weeks later...
The Wrecker rocks too. Everyone needs a wrecker as a 2nd car. Why didn't I think of that years ago? It would have saved me and my parents a lot of stress and dollars. It seems like I spent as much time attached to a tow strap as I did driving my 2000 roadster when I was in high school (so bad I carried the tow strap in the trunk and when I called my mom, she would often answer with..."OK where are you"...) That is a really rare and cool combination of vehicles.

I just put my Wife's 69 roadster in the classifieds... if you buy it I think you can forgo having a wrecker.:lol:

(But you could have all the fun of an open car again)

It's under 240Z as there's no category for other Datsuns/cars. Quite a few pictures.

<>

My 2000 was a 1970 and this was in 1975, so it was not an old clapped- out car, but it snapped timming chains constantly and always bent valves each time (5 times in 18 months). Then the jacksaft broke and finally the cam broke in half. It still ran on the 2 front cylinders and that time I drove it home. I sold it after that. I got a lot of experiance being towed...miles and miles...a tow truck would have made life simpler, but I would have lost the education in being the breakman on a runaway train (with my dad towing me).

I got a lot of experiance being towed...miles and miles...a tow truck would have made life simpler, but I would have lost the education in being the breakman on a runaway train (with my dad towing me).

Knowing how to be towed without rear ending the tow car is a valuable skill known to fewer people as time goes on. I once ran a red light while towing a friend's car... he said he'd been towed before and knew how to stop, but didn't apply the brakes. Last time I pulled him around.

The car my wife is selling shouldn't have your 2000's problems: It is running a JDM Toyota 18RG and the appropriate 5 speed.:-D

L front 8_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Even with a dolly, it helps to know what you are doing... One of the turbobuick guys destroyed a new "built" transmission towing with a dolly. He didn't pull the driveshaft, and took off across a couple states. IIRC, the driveshaft removed itself along with much of the tranny.

<>.

I bought a 64 Ranchero off a farm 60 miles from home a few years ago. Dad and I used a chain through a pipe as a towbar... Pipe keeps the two cars from hitting eeeeach other if you mess up.... We were on the interstate rolling right along about 60 when the floor gave way and the seat hit the highway... I had no lights, horn etc... Dad had settled in and wasnt paying much attention since the last 40 miles had been easy... So here I am, gripping the wheel with both feet braced on either side of whats left of the floorpan...seat dragging the highway and sparks flying out from under the ranchero. I'm waving one hand when I dare let go and screaming obscenities out of my half way down, stuck in place window!!!!

Finally a guy comes by us in the fast lane blowing the horn and gets Dads attention.... He hits the shoulder of the road and comes running back to the truck as the seat starts to smoke from all of the sparks with my half laying on it and the floor still cussing...

Now keep in mind, I am a BIG man, at that time ( 10yrs ago) like 360lbs...this had to be some funny $%iT to see!!! Dad had to help me up, then we had to finish ripping the seat and floor away and roll it into the ditch to pour muddy water on it so it wouldn't start a damn forest fire... all the while we didn't notice the wasps the smoke had pissed off pouring out of the defroster tubes until we walked back to the truck... If they had hit me too I might not have been able to hang on!!!!

I wish I had it on video... I'd be $100,000 richer for sure!!!

So now, I own a trailer!