HybridZ

G Nose, rear lift?

Alan (it is Alan isn't it?),

Do you have a Nissan G nose on the car in your avatar? I'm curious as to how the fit is on the underside of the G nose. Does the lower panel reach/mounted to the bottom of the radiator support? Also, are the hood hinges outside or inside the vertical pieces and if they are outside, are the torsion bars for the hood support removed? This looks like there was a lot of research done for this piece that gets lost in the aftermarket G noses.

Joe

Do you have a Nissan G nose on the car in your avatar?

rags,

Yes, the car is a genuine factory-built Fairlady 240ZG ( 'HS30-H' model ). Mine has the earliest type of lower front panel, without the 'air-con' ducts that you can see on the spare NOS lower panel in my pics.

110806112jp7.jpg

I'm curious as to how the fit is on the underside of the G nose. Does the lower panel reach/mounted to the bottom of the radiator support? Also, are the hood hinges outside or inside the vertical pieces and if they are outside, are the torsion bars for the hood support removed?

The bottom of the lower panel overlaps ( actually underlaps ) the radiator support crossmember, but it is not physically attached to it. There is a central stay coming up from the lower edge that attaches to the stock grille support bracket on the body ( see my third pic in previous post above ). The hood hinges bolt to the body in the stock location, but they are - of course - different to the stock short-nose type. The hinges are 'outside' of the vertical sides to the lower panel ( if I understand your question correctly ) and they do not aid in the mounting of the panels. The bumper bars are longer than stock short-nose type and sandwich the sides of the verticals on the lower panel to the body ( er - if I remember correctly that is! ). The stock short-nose torsion bars fit into the ZG hinges and are still present.

It is really hard to explain all this accurately, and a decent picture would tell much more than a thousand words. I just had a flip through saved pics on my computer and could not find a decent shot of that part of the engine bay and in front of the radiator. I shall have to take my camera over to the garages ( a few miles away from home I'm afraid - so you'll have to bear with me ) and see if I can get some proper photos to illustrate this a little better.

All who have seen the factory FRP G-nose panels and overfenders have commented on the high quality and excellent fit. It is all very thin, accurate, surprisingly strong and well finished.

Give me a couple of days and I'll try to get some shots to illustrate the fit. I'll post them here when I have them.

Cheers,

Alan T.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been struggling to get any shots worthy of posting here. My digital SLR turns out to be too big to fit into the 'mouth' of the car to take a decent close-up photo of the area.

Instead I have dug out some photos I took in Japan a few years ago of a factory 240ZG that was part-dismantled before going away to be restored. I think these photos illustrate the mounting areas a bit better because the bonnet ( hood ) extension panel and front bumper had been removed - showing what is not normally visible.

Hope they are of interest........

factorygnosestructure1ja2.th.jpg

factorygnosestructure2bl0.th.jpg

factorygnosestructure3be7.th.jpg

Well, with Alan's Posted Photos now others can see why I have been so 'down' on US Knockoff G-Noses. They all seem half the thickness of the cheaper JDM stuff, and if you get a GOOD JDM replica, they are as Alan has shown---near exact in every respect. And the parts they cut out for making a 'cheaper' nose are the things that really affect the aero as we have now seen. I have the exact same lower section hanging in one of my Conex Containers, as well as the left headlight bucket---which I bought out of a Junkyard off a car that had a mishap with a truck...running under the axle to be specific. Paid a whole 450 yen for the two pieces because it was 'incomplete'---the same price I ended up getting my JDM One-Piece for at another yard with slight cracks from parking bumps. Worth every yen!

And the new replicas from Japan are making me seriously consider a trip just to save on the shipping costs! I am unhappy with current offerings on this side of the pond to this date.