HybridZ

New CV Joint, Diff conversion, brake swap in the Works!

Techno Toy Tuning is working on a nifty new setup for the rear of the 240Z, 260Z, and 280Z!

Our shop 240Z has a Ford 302 in it and we've always wanted a "BETTER" solution for the CV joints and stub axles in the rear. In the past people have made CV joint conversions, but they all still retained the rather puny stub axles. With the HP and Torque that many of our cars are producing, they just don't hold up to the task.

We sat down and said to ourselves...."If I could have the dream setup, that would combine ALL the features we wish we could have, what would it be?"

We've been working on this setup for about 6 months on and off, and this is what we've com up with!

This setp will direct bolt in the following donor parts from these chassis cars: S13, S14, S15, R32, R34, Z32, Z32TT and Q45

1. Differential

2. Axles

3. Outer stub axles

4. Hubs (both 4 lug and 5 lug)

5. Brakes

It'll also have a strut casing attatched to our completely fabricated hub that will have camber adjustment built in as a feature. We'll be able to provide these rear strut casings fully loaded with coilovers, shocks, and upper mounts, or provide it ready to accept your coilovers and shocks.

The Z32TT and Q45 setup will have different axles, and is a bit overkill unless you are running 500+ HP.

It'll come with a front diff mount and a rear moustache bar with bushings.

This combines all the features of a rear disc brake conversion, diff conversion, CV Mount, axle, stub axle and hub conversion all in one! It will not affect offset of the rear wheels or affect rear suspension geometry.

And of course this is all blatant self promotion! But you guys have always been excellent supporters of our company, and I wanted to post up here a little ahead of time so that if anyone has any suggestions or input we can make changes before we put out the production parts.

Thanks as always for your time and feedback!

ZCV1.jpg

ZCV2.jpg

ZCV3.jpg

Guest 280ZForce

you must mean z32tt right? there is no z33tt in production unless of course a kit or custom job.

How does your setups affect the wheel offset or backspace? Not sure of the correct term, but obviously the hubs are in a new location?

Definitely food for though thought when I need to upgrade....which is...ummmm...NOW...lol

I think that plate looks a little thin. It'll probably break from flexing!

I"M KIDDING!!

I've had something like that in mind for a while but if I can't make it with a hammer and duct tape, I'm SOL.

Looking foward to more info and pics on this set up. WOW.

You won't be able to make them fast enough.

Yes, Z32TT, thank you for the correction. The axles are custom made from scratch.

280ZForce: This setup will not affect offset or backspacing of your wheels. The hub face ends up in the exact same place as it originally was.

The Q45 and Z32TT is the biggest diff/axle/hub and stub axle that we've found available. They are not quite as easy to find, and probably overkill, but we will have that setup as well.

The way we are making the backing plate it, will work with any of the e-brake setups, cable or internal rotor drum, from any year donor car listed.

If you'll look closely you'll also see our beefy rear lower control arm mounts. These will also have a reasonably thick connecting bar between them. I've seen pretty ones done up in aluminum, but I'm not too keen on using aluminum for parts that can see such a high side load on a road race car running Hoosiers!

can it maybe be made to center the rear wheel compared as to they are from the factory? you can really tell once big wheels are bolted up. makes them look too far forward.

cool stuff tho!

Oh crap. So I get punished for starting (and mostly finishing) my rear-end stuff early, eh? I'd have to flush my $$ and time spent already....

I'm sure JohnC et al will weigh in here momentarily, but, some comments:

(Looks like the photos show a work in progress, so I'm sure you'll address these points)

- Kind of a shame to see that killer work mounted to a stock LCA...

- Need a gusset from the spindle pin plate to the hub carrier plate, yes?

- Camber adjustment is way cool, but will require something more than the fricion of bolt/nut to keep it in place, no?

- Have you seen TerryO's (blueovalz) thread on redesigning the geom. of the rear strut housing? Might be something to at least consider.

I'm very impressed. I'm also happy to see that the S30 has an aftermarket that can support investment like this. Those pieces would look soooo nice with an anodized finish (I've read powder coating is a no-no for susp./chassis components since it impairs weld/corrosion inspection).

- Kind of a shame to see that killer work mounted to a stock LCA...

---->Hah...one thing at a time... we'll work on LCA's next :)

- Need a gusset from the spindle pin plate to the hub carrier plate, yes?

---->Yes, we'll probably gusset that. Thanks for the reminder!

- Camber adjustment is way cool, but will require something more than the fricion of bolt/nut to keep it in place, no?

---->Absolutely not. Nearly every car on the market with McPhearson struts now can use this camber adjustment. I use the same design on my 1991 MR2 Turbo with 245 front 285 rear Hoosiers. We use bolts and nuts with serrated heads and and impact wrench to tighten them and the likely hood of them slipping is very rare. I haven't slipped mine in the last 5 years.

- Have you seen TerryO's (blueovalz) thread on redesigning the geom. of the rear strut housing? Might be something to at least consider.

----->I'll look at that. Our main goal is to provide a short stroke option on the rear shocks that allows you to lower the car significantly without losing stroke on the shocks and bottoming them out.

I'm very impressed. I'm also happy to see that the S30 has an aftermarket that can support investment like this. Those pieces would look soooo nice with an anodized finish (I've read powder coating is a no-no for susp./chassis components since it impairs weld/corrosion inspection).

----->Serving small groups of enthusiastic owners is our speciality. The parts will be powdercoated, as you can not anodize steel, but have no fear, my business partner has 35 years welding experience and used to work on nuclear submarines. His welds will pass any X-Ray or stress test you can throw at them (plus they are pretty :)

DavyZ: I'm not sure what the weight difference will be. The factory stuff is pretty heave with the drums and all. I don't think we'll be any heavier but I'll have to weigh it loaded with the calipers, rotors and such.

Matt K: We probably won't be making this for the 280ZX, because there is like....only 6 guys in the known universe modding the 280ZX :wink:

Gabriel said: "We probably won't be making this for the 280ZX, because there is like....only 6 guys in the known universe modding the 280ZX.

----->Serving small groups of enthusiastic owners is our speciality."

Gabriel, now you've done it. Obviously we don't need to do a roll-call on 280ZX owners who are modding them, but your statement is so NOT true. There are ALOT of us, not only, but especially, on here who are modding 280ZX's.

(Can of worms officially opened, and not by me this time).

Oh, and I "CAN" speak up, as a customer of yours...

t3hats06.jpg

BTW, the top roller bearings you sell are NOT required for use on the ZX if you use the stock bearings and are not using coilovers. I now have a set that I can't use and can't return (had 'em too long). Maybe I'll just shelve them in case I ever do coilovers up front.

On a side note> If more aftermarket parts were available for the 280ZX, I'm sure alot more of them would be on the road instead of jack stands. There are actually quite a few of them sitting in garages, at a standstill, because of problems locating parts for desired mods that work on the S30 but not the S130, yet the 280ZX gets the shaft because they're being scavenged for their powertrains. Almost like we can't win for losing. (no flaming requested).

Warren

I actually had a part very similar made early last year to suit the exact same parts except it is one piece machined to shape not welded. Mine is made to suit a bolt on coilover though like a s13 front, or as im using, a GTiR pulsar rear (probably called something else in US) I hadnt mentioned it yet as I havnt done any of the other bits like control arms, axles and diff cradle. Good to see someone else on the same wave as me. It looks good by the way.

On the weight difference I havnt weighed either but although the stock setup is rather heavy I have lugged around many s13/14/r32/33/GTR/300zxtt brake and axle assembleys to be confident they are certainly heavier than the Z setup. But the other benefits outweigh the weight penalty in my opinion.

Warren, I totally understand what you are saying. We pretty much guage the number of people tuning a certain chassis by how many requests we get for parts from that group. For example... The S12 group says there are a ton of guys modding the cars, but in actuality there are only probably 10 core guys that keep the hype up on the forums. We made Bump Steer Spacers for the S12, but to date, we've sold maybe 3 pairs of them :(

With markets that are kind of "lean" like that, we are always glad to try and provide help in the way of interchangeable parts or individual components that might be able to be adapted to the specific car. Give us some specs and we'll see if we can come up with something that will fit!

Gabriel, do you know what the weight difference is or what you will expect it to be between the stock set up and your parts? Just curious.

Davy

I have the same question and look forward to the answer, Looks real good!

And as far as the S12 stuff goes, If I could ever find one reasonably priced I would snatch it up and buy some of those bump steet spacers from you! :lol: guess I wont have to worry about you selling out of them though :)

thanks for stepping up and making some kick arse Z car parts.

-S

very interested in this project. I was wondering when do you plan on having these ready for the public? I'm torn on doing something like this or putting the whole s14 rear susp under my s30.

big B: We've really only got a couple details left to sort out, I'm hoping to have about 10 sets ready in 3 weeks or so.

We considered swapping the whole S13/S14 subframe in, but it would require way too much hacking and slashing, plus it's pretty darn heavy!

big B: We've really only got a couple details left to sort out, I'm hoping to have about 10 sets ready in 3 weeks or so.

We considered swapping the whole S13/S14 subframe in, but it would require way too much hacking and slashing, plus it's pretty darn heavy!

I guess the next question is how much$? Very interested!