HybridZ

New CV Joint, Diff conversion, brake swap in the Works!

Good work!! Can't wait to see all the finished pic's! I am still tosing up weather i go with Gab's conversion (i already have R32 GT-R rear hubs etc) or the new improved MML extra spline stub axles/companion flanges.

???

I want to make something very clear about this R230 conversion. If I had gone with their Q45 standard set up, it would have been almost a straight bolt in installation and almost as strong. Gabe and Rick spent lots of time on the phone with me to complete this conversion. The quality of their product and support is amazing and they install the 1.2 inch Moser axles for you for free.

If you cannot weld or fabricate, their Q45 conversion is the best choice. I just happened to find a 90 TT R230 rear end and just had to see if it could be done and it can. My skill level is about like a red neck dirt tracker. I will add more pictures to photobucket soon.

BTW: their set up has camber adjustment built in the strut support without the need for an expensive and hard to install camber plate.

• 2 weeks later...

$2544 if you include the used TT R230 not show.

Backing Plates $550

Moustache bar $250

Front Diff Mount $150

Axles $480

Struts prepped for coilovers $240

Coilovers for rear strut casings $199

Shocks for rear strut casings $240

Nissan TT/Chevy 1310 Yoke - $85

Used Hubs, Axles, R230 Diff, backing plates less brakes - $300

Moser Installed Axles (FREE-Shipping to Cal $50.)

• 1 month later...
Bump! Who else has done this conversion? What size are the new strut tubes? I have a 280z and am worried that the ground control coilover kit won't work properly with the new rear strut tubes.

Justin

You said Z not ZX, correct? I have an early 260Z with the ground control coilovers. 70-78 should be the same. The only adjustments needed were spring height and camber (which is on the new strut). Call Gabe if you are concerned.

I am also waiting to see how the high hp tq guys make out with this conversion.

I will let you know. I have a Track session at Hallett Raceway and a Drag Race in Tulsa, OK labor day weekend. The R230 is supposed to be good to 600 horsepower. I am shy of that by 200. The early model Q45 R200 has the same axles and six bolt out put star but an inch smaller ring and opinion.

TTT kit is installed in my car. It is up on jackstands as i finish up loose ends. It should be back on the ground by the end of next week when I will begin tuning w/ the new engine management. I am using the Armada differential (2.94 ratio) with Z32 LSD installed. Pictures and updates will follow early in the week.

Regards,

Mike

Update on Parking Brake Conversion for the R230 TT differential: I removed the junction yoke from the original 90 model adjustment cable. I then drilled a 1/4 hole through its pivot joint. A 4 inch piece of 1/4 X 20 all thread with a nut was inserted through the pivot joint and into the 260Z original attachment/adjustment bracket and into another nut. I used the original 260Z chassis parking brake cable springs to hold the super long 90 model cables in place. All it takes is a 7/16 socket and flex handle to adjust the tension after you insert the cables into the slots provided by the 90 model yoke.

What diameter are the new strut tubes? Do I need to get a set of 240z threaded collars as my 280z has larger strut tubes?

Regards,

Justin

Check with with Gabriel Tyler at Techno Toy. I don't have a decent micrometer to measure that exactly. I did measure with an old tool and came up with 2 inches.

Will the Z32 brakes clear a 15X10 wheel?

Justin

When I was ordering calipers, the TT and non turbo were the same. The TT came with sixteens. With my 17 inch Cobra R wheels, there is only 1 and 1/4 inch between the wheel and tallest point of the stock caliper mounted on Techno Toy's strut. I doubt if 15's will clear although there are some wheel manufactures that take disc brake clearance into consideration such as Mickey Thompson. Consult the wheel manufacturer before you buy or try a buddies.

I realize that a 15 is better for drag racing and there are more selection of tire sizes. However, a 15 X 10 will require some serious fender cutting or rear end raising with a 26 to 28 inch tire and anything over a 245:50 tire assuming 5 inch backspacing. I ended up with a 9.5 X 17 with a 275:40 M/T drag radial and raised my ZG Flares and fender cuts two inches to keep a low ride height.

Thanks guys :-)

OK, have a little time sitting here at the airport...

The front diff mount is a tubular design with reinforcement plates welded to the subframe as well as the area inside the storage boxes behind the seats. I went with a top mount design for the diff, as the most force directed up from the nose of the diff. The storage bins were cut out and new metal welded in around the brace. The bolts drop through the floor in the hatch area to mount to the "ears" or the Armada differential. As far as the rear of the differential, the subframe was notched and boxed in to accomodate the rear of the R230. The "dogbone" which attaches the dropdown mounts had to be trimmed slightly as well to clear the rear cover, as I had asked Gabriel to drill the holes for the rear diff mount higher in the mustache bar to accomodate a "full squat" under launch, so some clearancing was required. In order to use the Arizona Zcar Wilwood kit, I had to take a deep breath and cut the lower "ears" of the TTT backing plate to accomodate the Wilwood caliper mounts. Other than that, everything bolted togather easily. I am looking forward to having the car back in the road and hope to be ready for the track by the end of September for some 1/4 mile results w/ the new setup. Pics of the new CCW's to come once the BAMF ZG's are mounted...

Regards,

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I just got back from the Midwest Z Fest in Tulsa, OK. The Techno Toy R230 conversion held up fine. The Hallett,OK track is a technical 1.9 mile road course with elevation changes and twists and turns. I took it easy the first lap at 1:54 and was able to get down to a personal best of 1:39 while dicing with an Ariel Atom. The scheduled drag race at Tulsa was delayed until 1AM by rain and I was too tired to go. I did burn the M/T's in the parking lot just to break them in. http://s273.photobucket.com/albums/jj232/Bowtie350V8/MidwestZFest%202008/?action=view&current=MidwestZFest2008003.jpg

icon_profile.gif icon_pm.gif