HybridZ

My new toy - need tow vehicle reccomendations

trwebb26

Here it is... a 2001 Mariah Diablo 180 w/ 190 horse 4.3L merc engine. Gotta admit - I'm pretty stoked to be picking it up tomorrow.

EkTfdKgVQB0Pi39ADzEuK0KPW8bP.jpg

My little S10 isn't stout enough to haul this thing around (2WD - small S10 w/ 4.3L motor). I'm lookin for reccomendations for a used 4x4 truck. It has to be an extended cab or "crew" cab that I can wire up for surge brakes. I'm hoping to be out the door for less than $15K. I don't do a lot of high mile driving - just looking for a good looking dependable truck that I can add some aftermarket fun to later.

I'm thinking:

Dodge Ram 1500

Ford F150

Nissan Frontier

???

What do you buy if you were in my shoes?

Don't forget you also need braking power as well as towing power. The V6 trucks "will" pull it and "will" stop it but to be safe you might want to think about a V8. I pulled my 18' boat with 4Runner and it was lacking at best and probably not real safe. If you are looking for just a tow vehicle look for an older Surburban (you will have more friends to haul now) they are getting cheaper every day as gas prices go up.

I got to thinking.... I have a 2000 V6 S-10. I can buy a class 3 hitch for ~$200. Do you think I would be safe to haul my 3600 lb boat and tailer around the flatlands of illinois?

My wife has an 06' Jeep wrangler w/ 4WD - If I got a hitch for that - do you think it would tow it?

I'm worried I may be compromising safety if I don't just pony up for a bigger rig - but my truck is paid for and I'm trying to keep some spending money freed up for the Z :-) .

F150 = best truck for lowest price w/good tow capacity and brakes. DO NOT BUY the 4.2 v6(junk) or the 5.4 v8(gashog) stick with the 4.6 v8.

I haul mine with a 91 Explorer 4x4 5spd 4.0 with no worries. I use 4x4 lowrange on ramps and it gives you good pull and good clutch control.