HybridZ

How To: RB series Igniter swap to Z32 Igniter

Booztd 3

Guys

I was suspecting that my igniter had a problem when I started developing a random miss on cylinder 4. I would get the miss sporadically and most of the time once the miss started, I could shut the car off, turn it back on and it would be gone. In adddition to that, the 6pin connector on my rb26 igniter was broken off, so the connection was a little 'loose'. I noticed when I played around with that connection my miss would sometimes go away.

I saw Carl H's post regarding swapping the J30 igniter so I knew it could be done, however he has mainly text documentation. I went through this process and took good thorough pictures with hopes of assisting others.

Through the years of working on Z32's I've acquired junk wiring harness and lots of spare parts. It just so happened that I had a good Z32 igniter (we call it a PTU) sitting around, as well as an old harness. I clipped the pigtails so I got good conditioned harnesses. Here is the assembly we'll be swapping in.

Igniter_Swap_01.JPG

Since I wanted to ease installation, I chose to use the old clips, as it would be more simple to transfer the wires 1 by 1 over to the new harness instead of depinning them all on the rb harness and risk mixing them up (i know its not rocket science but im all about logistics!)

Start by removing the yellow retainer clip

Igniter_Swap_02.JPG

Now that the clip is removed, you can begin de-pinning it. I used a pic tool (as shown below) to release the clips and then pull the wire out the backside

Igniter_Swap_03.JPG

Igniter_Swap_04.JPG

It should take literally 1 mintue to remove these safely

Igniter_Swap_05.JPG

Now do the same to the other harness

Igniter_Swap_06.JPG

Here we have both 6 and 7 pin harness clips and the Z32 igniter

Igniter_Swap_07.JPG

Here is the schematic for the Z32 igniter.

Igniter_Swap_08.JPG

Here is the stock RB configuration. Notice the 7 pin on the right, 6 pin on the left. The orientation is switched on the Z32 igniter. The 6 pin will be on the right and the 7 pin will be on the left.

Igniter_Swap_09.JPG

Here's a good picture of what I just previously referenced

Igniter_Swap_10.JPG

I started to work with the right side first, transitioning the wires from the 7-pin connector, to the new 6-pin connector. The first wire I removed was the ground. You can note which wire is ground by looking on the igniter itsself. It will be labeled "E". Notice coil wires 1 and 2 have already been moved from the 7pin to the 6pin connector

Igniter_Swap_11.JPG

Pictured below the new 6pin connector is now complete. You should have one wire left over that is black, which is the ground wire. The old connector is on top.

Igniter_Swap_12.JPG

Next you will need to extend that black ground wire to reach over to the other side of the igniter. About 6" will do. I soldered and shrink wrapped the connection

Igniter_Swap_13.JPG

Igniter_Swap_14.JPG

The first thing you can do now is take that ground wire and stick it in the new 7pin connector. It will go in the exact middle like below

Igniter_Swap_15.JPG

Now we will begin depinning the old 6pin connector and transfering wires over to the new 7pin connector. Here is the stock rb configuration

Igniter_Swap_16.JPG

In this next picture I have moved coil #1 wire over to the new harness. Do this with the remaining 5 coil wires. They stay in the same order (with the ground being the 4th from the left)

Igniter_Swap_17.JPG

Here we have the completed configuration.

Igniter_Swap_18.JPG

I am happy to report the car fired right up, but I havent yet tested to see if my miss is gone. The car will need to warm up and I'll need to take it for a spin.

Hope this helps some guys out, happy RB'ing!

It is for the RB....its to swap the RB ignitor with the Z32... Venus Auto decided to send me a motor with a Z32 ignitor on it. They also decided to cut the harness and wire it in...and last but not least they wired it wrong which caused me to fry ignitor and ECU. Sounds fun huh?? Id say this is worth a STICKY.

It is for the RB....its to swap the RB ignitor with the Z32... Venus Auto decided to send me a motor with a Z32 ignitor on it. They also decided to cut the harness and wire it in...and last but not least they wired it wrong which caused me to fry ignitor and ECU. Sounds fun huh?? Id say this is worth a STICKY.

hopefully venus sees this thread or gets forwarded to it, and pays their dues.

• 5 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...