HybridZ

Q45 Diff Swap, Axle Problem

LS1 Z

I thought I would run this by you guys. Get your opinions and see if anybody else is having this problem. The car 280Z LS2 T-56. Q45 diff, Ross's Moser axles, LS1FD's mustache bar and adapters at the stub axles. Arizonia Z car rear mount and lower control arms. MAS280 front diff mount. Everything is tight and looks to be in alignment. The body does not look twisted in anyway. Infact this car is drop dead gorgious!! The Z has been on the road for 6k and runs 10.8s in the quarter!! I pretty much have the same set up in my Z. Pretty easy to guess who's car this is (ULISES).

The car came to me for a clutch job. I took the car for a spin to feel the original clutch. I didn't abuse or romp on it at all!! I was making a left turn gave it a little gas (1/4 to 1/2) throttle, and a ton of noise came from the rear, like a broken axle! Limped the car back to the shop. What I found is the drivers outer C/V joint came out of the housing. Tore the axle down. The outer housing is broken and yes the retaining clip got pulled with the joint. Also noticed the cap on the inner joint also broken! I replaced the clutch, got another outer C/V. Go for a test drive and the same thing happens in the same part of the road. It was like a replay of the first time!!!!

I'm gonna pull out both axles and inspect. It seems the axle (drivers) and c/v joints are moving too much in the housings and being pushed towards the diff. Has anyone else had this problem? Or any ideas? The car is beautiful, but I don't want to marry it! And I don't want Ulises to miss his baby too much!!

Joey

I've had this happen several times. The axel will walk to the inside of the car and pull the outer CV apart. THe solution is a "stop" inside the end cap.

Ross has them. For what it's worth, I run them on both ends of the axel. I've had this happen with the inner CV on a road course. Once the end cap stops were placed, I've had no more problems with this. I beat the crap out of the car at open track days. LT 1 and t-56 with the Q diff and CV's.

Hey Mark!!! I agree with you 100%!! I was approached with welding a spacer to the inside joint cover. Butt, Wouldn't the cover still crack? I'm with CAL POLY. I cannot find it on Ross's website. I have 3 Z's at my shop with all the same swap!!!

Joey

Just found this on the site. It says one pair are include. Get two pair.

Includes:

pair of billet 4340 precision CNC machined steel R230 CV/Companion flange adaptors, heat treated, cryogenically treated, and double tempered!

one pair of precision CNC machined end stops, required to ensure appropriate CV travel

high grade hardware for mounting brackets, this includes OEM 280ZXT stub axle nuts which are preferred (no peening required) and all other high grade hardware for the install

optional choice below: custom high strength male male splined axles, engineered with this package

• 2 weeks later...

Update to this thread... First off ROSS ROCKS!!! Great person to deal with and got the stops to me very quickly!! The stops are the same as the pic. I installed 4 stops into Ulises's half shafts and..... No more problems!! The diff of before and after. Before I had around 3 inches of travel or movement of the axles. Now an inch at the most. Ross sent me 3 sets. I will be installing a set in my Z as well as my clean up kids Z (HEAVYZ's old Z).

Joey

• 4 months later...
Here is a pic of the unassembled parts from Ross (glad I took pics!) You can see the caps with built in stop on the lower right. Hope this helps.

8455DSCF00031.JPG

I guess I am fuzzy on where the end stops go. Do they get assembled with the CV's between the stock end caps and the end of the axles? Thanks for the help.

Update to this thread... First off ROSS ROCKS!!! Great person to deal with and got the stops to me very quickly!! The stops are the same as the pic. I installed 4 stops into Ulises's half shafts and..... No more problems!! The diff of before and after. Before I had around 3 inches of travel or movement of the axles. Now an inch at the most. Ross sent me 3 sets. I will be installing a set in my Z as well as my clean up kids Z (HEAVYZ's old Z).

Joey

How much were all 4 of the end stops?

Thanks!!

• 1 month later...
I guess I am fuzzy on where the end stops go. Do they get assembled with the CV's between the stock end caps and the end of the axles? Thanks for the help.

240Z2NV and I just exchanged notes.

The end stops essentially replace the OEM thin stamped end caps. Their raised center keeps the custom male male axles in their happy zone when you're pushing your foot thru your floorboard and thinking of other limits like your pucker factor :mrgreen:

Joey, thanks for your help keeping those Z's flying.

• 6 years later...

I know this thread is older but is this kit still available at all? Parts of it I'm assuming? Any recommendations on half shafts for a 75 280z as I plan on running the z32 Vlsd diff? I know techno toy tune sells the rear and front mount but after a lengthy conversation he basically told me good luck on your half shafts and flange fitting. Help or direction is much appreciated. Thanks. 75' 280z w Ls1 t56 r230 diff and 275 tires!