HybridZ

VG30DETT in 84 300zx

It has been done by Jim Wolf of Jim Wolf Technologies and he spent a small fortune on it.

Build your VG30E. Get the turbo equipment and have a blast, that swap is not for the faint of heart or those that have "budget" in their vocabulary. Don't be fooled by the cost of an engine pull-out; the tip of the iceberg hides everything that's still under the water.

what wiring?

Come on man, you are gonna have to do some research before you come here asking questions. So far you havent asked anything that hints you have any mechanical skills. A swap like a VG30DETT into a Z31 is going to require more than knowing how to change spark plugs.

Start your research here:

http://www.az-zbum.com/modification.engine.swap.shtml

If you are hard pressed for more power, do a search for Steve Mitchell's 300zx. Actually, after i typed the last sentence i went on a search and found it for you. http://z31.com/misc/articles/5/1.shtml

It sounds like you want to reinvent the wheel for no practical purpose whatsoever.

well obviously your still in Honda thinking mode about these engines also, so yeah do your research and realize this is an extensive swap that it not worth the cost. It really isnt even that big of a WOW factor swap unless you get everything to fit perfect and look stock. your still stuck with a stock vg30dett though and you can make that same power fi not more from the single cam for less money and time. thats just my .02, peace.

• 4 weeks later...

It sounds like loosing the restrictive muffler and increasing boost was a winner.

I have a 84 300ZXT, and a local race shop suggested a device that increases boost to 8-12 psi, and replacing the stock muffler. He says about $300 should take care of it.

if you want a TT 300 just save your self come cash and buy a Z32 you can find nice TT's all day for about $6000-8000 and really nice super clean ones for $10,000 - $14,000

Check out Z1 Motorsports in GA thier black 750WHP Z32 if for sale. and a bargain @ $45,000

sisnce it looks like you sticking W/ the good old VG30E-T your OEM Turbo MAXED out at 18PSI do NOT go past that the turbo will overheat the air and you'll most likely knoc. and the block can take every bit of it.

But go aheat and do your FMIC, 3" exhaust and and nice filter. then gram a boost controler and head to a DYNO that has air / fuel. and let them crank up the boost as far as they can take it without affecting you A/F ratio (probably 13-15PSI and then enjoy your new car, because it will feel like a new car.

Heck, I've been driving around a Z31 Turbo with a Maxima VG30E and the Z turbo setup on stock boost... that thing is an absolute blast. I can chirp third gear and that's not even at full power due to a boost leak. 15 psi, aftercooled, on a 9:1 engine would be absolutely awesome. I definitely agree, it'll feel like a completely new car.