HybridZ

Crank Position Sensor?

darkangel23

Hey guys I have a 1981 280zx Turbo, what happens is my car will start and then I am able to drive it about 500 feet before it just dies. I took the car to a nissan dealer and they are telling me that it is the crank position sensor. I was just wondering if that sounds like what it could be and how hard it is to change out and if any could give me some instructions on how to do it.

It's actually called a crankshaft position sensor here is a picture of what one looks like Click Here This is how one website describes what the crankshaft position sensor does

The CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR is used to detect engine speed It allows the computer to change injector openings with changes in engine rpm.

im pretty sure your way off

that is the pick-up for the ignition

when the little nubs on the chopper wheel go by it tells the computer where to put the spark

it has nothing to do with the injectors, its all for ignition control

i think your blinker fluid might be low JK hehe

well if that is the problem then allot of guys upgrade to the later model 82-83 distributor that has the CAS in the dizzy

do a search for 83 dizzy should set you in the right direction

i have an 81 as well and had nothing but problems

im going to go megasquirt and be done with all the old stuff

go through your wirering and make sure everything connected right these old cars have old wirering and can be tricky

The CPS on my nissan pathfinder is mounted at the top of the transmission bellhousing. I know because we broke it when we pulled the transmission. The only way you could get to it is by pulling the transmission, even then you cant see it until you have already broken it... lol.

I am not really sure what it would be for on your car. On some cars a CPS is used to electronically control the spark instead of a distributor, but I really dont think that is true on your car. The spark advance may be controlled by the CPS which could cause some running problems, not really sure though.

As far as replacing it yourself, it totally depends on where it is. No matter what it is not a technical job. You just have to find it, pull out the old one, and plug in the new one. Really shouldn't be too hard, but it might be a huge PITA to even get access to it.