HybridZ

My "other" project... the 510 wagon

Cruez

While the Z is on a hiatus for the moment... I thought I would post some updated pics of the wagon project... Should be doing to paint in the next week or so..

The day I picked it up

7-2.jpg

8-2.jpg

Engine pics (not finished yet.) Valve cover is a flip flop type powder of burnt orange and green...with polished lettering and all cleared..

All the engine parts minus the block are all coated.

eng1.jpg

eng2.jpg

eng3.jpg

eng4.jpg

eng5.jpg

Swaybar color

barcolor.jpg

Front parts..

frontparts.jpg

duringundercoat.jpg

swayb.jpg

frontsus.jpg

xmember.jpg

Rear parts.

rear.jpg

rearsusp.jpg

eng1.jpg

eng1.jpg

Original rear height

height1.jpg

Original rear end

rearend1.jpg

then and cleaned and coated and refurbed

rearend2.jpg

rearend3.jpg

rearend4.jpg

And the car as it stands

car1.jpg

car2.jpg

Hopefully it will be on the road sooner than I think...not much time in the day to get anything done..

What I am so happy about is the non existance of rust on this car... I can't stand repairing rust issues.

I'll be pulling the other two doors off and gutting them before it goes for its white basecoat..The paint will be a two tone.. I'll leave it at that until its actually shot.. :D

The little L18 will be staying in it for a while, I did get a dual SU intake setup for it and will be added shortly... I am working in Charlotte now and I was going to get some driving time in it when its complete. The 4 banger will be a little easier on fuel than the Maxima. Eventually it will get an engine swap .. but for now the Z 5 speed that is going in it with the L4 will suffice for a while.

The Z wheels have a little something extra.... The lips were polished, the centers were powdercoated in gunmetal and the small insets on each spoke have an illusion amber coating on them that shows up in direct sunlight, then they were powdercoated clear.. :D I'll try to get a good pic..

The original undercoating was scuffed and prepped with Xylene then got a coat of roll on Herculiner.... nasty stuff to put on, but its definately not going anywhere anytime soon. The entire underneath was done this way.

My buddy, Kelvin, is working away on his 510 wagon. It's his 3rd 510, first time with a wagon. It's far from finished, but you'll get an idea of where he's going with it.

His other 510s are here: http://www.datsun510.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=9&sl=k

Makes me miss my 510s a little bit, but I'm stoked to be getting closer to getting my Z done. http://www.datsun510.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=49

• 2 months later...

Finally... the car has gone to the paint jail..

All the doors have been welded up, epoxied, and primered, blocked and primered again.. Engine bay is next.

The new smoked E30 BMW projectors have been fabbed up (to get the engine bay ready to paint, the inner fenders needed a little persuasion. :) )

The car is actually progressing faster than I thought it would...especially for a complete teardown and buildup. I'll try to get some pics tomorrow..

.. with a torch... to help add to the hot ass day as it was...

The heat combined with the humidity makes it feel REALLY hot. I have been out in the desert of Sonora Mexico and it feels like it did today HAHA! I don't blame you. We're buying a house in Waxhaw and I may have to install A/C in the garage. It gets very uncomfortable in the garage during the heat of the day. I thought it was hot in my garage back in CA during the summer, but it has nothing on NC!

Davy