HybridZ

borg warner t5

ziggy408

hello every one i got a 73 240z. i got a 83 280zx turbo engine in it and im trying to change my transmission to a borg warner t5. oh stick of course!!!! dose any one know were i can get one? i looked for one on ebay but could find one... help:icon50:

thats what i got in it now. when i got it had hella pull to it and i let a friend borrow it and he would put it in reverse and let it cost a little then throw it in 1st gear and nail it. the gears in it chipped and broke.i dont know why he would do that stupid... so i had some one rebuild it and i dont know what gears he put in it but they suck... my car still hella fast but not like before. i use to chrip my tires up to 3rd gear a little squile in 4rh. any way my friend use to work on z's and he put the tranny together before i bought the car and he told me the best tranny to use is the borg waner t5. so thats why im tryin to get one. thanx

First, running the car in reverse and then throwing it into first gear will break ANY transmission if you do it enough times.

Second, the T5 in the Z cars is only rated at about 200 ft/lbs of torque.

Thirdly, since the T5 was only available in the '82 & '83 turbo's and a LOT of them were automatics, there's a very limited availability compared to the the standard 5-speed.

The stock non-turbo 5-speed will hold up just as well as the T5 given the use expected.

There are guys on here running the stock non-turbo 5-speed trannys on 200-300hp Z cars.

I always dread when that link comes up. There's so much misleading information and a bunch of it has turned out to be wrong. The fitting and fabrication information is fine, because it's what he built to make it work, but the information about the spec's of the T5 are way off.

The 4-speed in the early Z has an even shorter 1st gear than the T5:

http://zhome.com/ZCMnL/tech/GearRatios.html

The Non-world class T5 in the 280ZX Turbo is rated at 200 or less ft/lbs of torque.

There were 265 versions of the "1352" model T5 and ours was #4 as indicated by the tail shaft tag [1352-004] making it a VERY early production design even pre-dating the Mustang T5 used in the '83-'84 SVO:

http://www.kamikazeracing.org/dl/ZTech/BorgWarnerT5-applications.txt

Currently, I'm running an '83 280ZX 5-speed in my 240Z with a 3.70:1 LSD diff and 205/60/14 Kumhos.

The taller tranny gears are nicely off-set by the shorter diff:

'83 5-speed vs '72 4-speed

3.062 vs 3.592 = 15% taller

1.858 vs 2.246 = 17% taller

1.308 vs 1.415 = 7.5% taller

1.000 vs 1.000

R200 vs R180

3.70 vs 3.364 = 10% shorter

What rear-end gears are you running?

If it's got the stock R180 w/ 3.364 gears, you'll be better off with a non-turbo 5-speed tranny and swapping out the rear-end for an R200 out of another '80 to '83 280ZX. The automatic will get you a 3.545 rear end R180 so you won't have to change anything else on the back of your '73 240Z. The R200 requires some more work and a few extra parts to do it right.

• 14 years later...