HybridZ
proxlamus©

Exotic "SOUNDING", high revving V8! Read "ENTIRE" thread before posting!!!

This is a rough sketch based off the Ford Modular engines. I have bore spacing and journal specs, but I honestly had no clue how wide to make them. So I guess on some of the figures, but the overlap from the journals should be extremely close to what it would be in the real world with a 3" stroke.

FlatPlaneFordModular.jpg

Here's a better image without the rods

FlatPlaneFordModular2.jpg

Guest Zedintheshed

Just wondering if any Old CanAm Racing engines used Flat Plane Cranks with American V8's? Also didn't some Formula 5000 engines have flat plane cranks and if so are some of these cars still getting around today in historic racing with these same cranks? Surely these engines would occasionally need new cranks - so someone must make them and have done all the R&D?

There are engines out there......I have posted them before in previous threads.

DTM all use flat planes. Merc, Audi and opel(which uses a version of the northstar engine)

Every time i go to the local dirt track- not often- i hear at least one small block with a 180 crank.

Most of the IRL engine are flat plane.

SOMEONE MAKE CRANKS FOR THESE! Probably a case of how bigs your wallet, but they are out there.

There is an engineering co in the uk that I think makes these parts. Cant find there name right now but will keep looking. They seem to be able to make anything. Just need to check some back issuies of racecar engineering.

Douglas

No I havn't. I'll try to get something today or tomorrow posted for ya.

I kinda want that ground texture...

Anyways, I've already got another crank design on my computer, this time spec'ed to the SBF instead of the Mod motor. I'm getting better at this :-D

I'm kinda holding off on rendering a video though, since I'm considering starting over. I've been looking into multipiece crankshafts... I've been looking at too many F1 and other race car crank designs and I'm thinking I could design something much better.

Here's a picture of what I've currently got though:

ford5-0.jpg

OTM Here's a cut like you were saying.

FlatPlaneCriticalArea.jpg

Inventor is calculating an area on this plane of 1503mm^2, which is 59.1732 square inches.

Alright... now lets get rid of any stress risers(sharp corners...) and then maximize your critical section area. Use that information I gave you and plug some numbers to figure out if it will hold up to your expected horsepower levels.

Although 59in^2 sounds like you had an error somewhere in your conversion math. 6"X6" only yields an area of 36in^2 and your cross section isn't that big.

Just as a comparison, my design has a cross section of 2249.2mm^2.

Yea I thought that number was fishy too... guess that's what I get for just doing a basic mm to inch conversion... wooops.

Ok, I just checked my other crank (not seen in this thread) and I've got this:

"1876.846 (square millimeters) = 2.90911712 square inch"

That inch figure makes a bit more sense. Still not as much area as yours, but I'll try to figure out how much stress it'll take. Quick question though... in your picture there's quite a bit of material from the main journal in the critical plane. Am I wrong? Is this being calculated? Are you cheating me? :lol:

Ok, I'm off to try to figure this stuff out.

Quick question though... in your picture there's quite a bit of material from the main journal in the critical plane. Am I wrong? Is this being calculated? Are you cheating me? :lol:

Nope. The critical plane contacts the main and rod journals at one point each. Also mind you that I have 34mm for each cheek pad. Yours look offset to one side with different cheek pads. (I'm hoping that your motor is based like that)

It also looks like you cut into the main and rod journals too with your critical plane? What are the rounded parts at the upper and lower portions? Are they radii on the journal?

OTM

Yea, I cut slightly into the journals on that first slice. On the last one I did I made sure not to.

I really wish I had a crank in my hands to work off of. I've been basing my work on pictures and basic part specs on the parts availible. Through the parts catalog on summit I can get:

Main Journal Diameter

Rod Journal Diameter

Rod Width

Rod Big and Small end Diameter

Rod Length

And I know the bore spacing for the motor, so it becomes a guess work of the thickness of the main journal....

It's an educated guess, but still a guess. If I was going to be working on a "final" mockup before having it made I'd make sure to have the block in hand so my specs were perfect.

Yes I could. It's the matter of time to go to the junkyard to spend X amount of hours pulling a crankshaft for an "engineering excersize".

Realistically it would have to be on a weekend, and my weekends have been booked SOLID all summer. Maybe when fall rolls around I'll find some time to pick up a used crank.

Even if I had the dough I'm not sure I'd want to.

The beauty of the idea of putting a flat plane crank in a SBC or SBF is that so many of the parts are dirt cheap. Rebuild costs are next to nothing. Sure you'd be spending some extra change on the valve train and piston coatings and such, but not enough to make a real ferrari engine look cheap.

Even if I had the dough I'm not sure I'd want to.

The beauty of the idea of putting a flat plane crank in a SBC or SBF is that so many of the parts are dirt cheap. Rebuild costs are next to nothing. Sure you'd be spending some extra change on the valve train and piston coatings and such, but not enough to make a real ferrari engine look cheap.

We share similar sentiments. Yes an actual Ferrari engine would be uber cool, it possesses massive WOW factor, but the cost of the SBC/SBF, and to a greater degree, having had a hand in the transformation of a power plant on this level is a common primal male craving. It’s a guy thing, more of a power trip really. To have control over an inanimate object and harness the laws of physics in such a way to work in harmony, from the efforts of our own creativity, ideas and sweat, not just our bank account alone.