HybridZ

MegaSquirt Overview for Newbies

Zmanco

Cheapest Haltech is $854 - http://store.haltech.com/usastore/haltech-universal-ecu-kits/sprint.html

DIYAutotune is a real company and Matt Cramer seems to do much more than many.  Haven't seen any Haltech reps on the forum.

Directly from Haltech, new, yes. A used Haltech e6 is like $600.

I've got nothing but praise for DIYAutoTune. I'm referring to the hardware/firmware developers of Megasquirt itself.

MS3 is closed-hardware, non-GPL'd software. I'm not sure if the MS3 firmware source is even out in the open. MS1 and MS2 you could at least take a peak at the code.

So for $400 you get a MS3 that you have to rely on volunteer forums for support. For a few hundred more you have a real company behind it.

For most DIY people, MS1/2/3 is just fine with open or closed development.

But they're acting more and more like a for-profit company without giving the customer and benefits of it. No official support, no returns, etc.

The gap between them and a real company with a commercial product is getting smaller. That's all that I'm saying.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheapest Haltech is $854 - http://store.haltech.com/usastore/haltech-universal-ecu-kits/sprint.html

DIYAutotune is a real company and Matt Cramer seems to do much more than many. Haven't seen any Haltech reps on the forum.

I have been looking at the DIYAutotune site a good bit. If it's ok to PM him from here, do you have his user name. I will order my ms from him.

Bloz up,

I can see what your saying, and how easily that can be true. The ms still seems like a good bet, especially for the money. dIYAuto might be a good bet. I can see the probles on both sides of the fence. If you keep yor ms simple, it seems to work well for many people, at least that's what I have been reading.

Edited by Project1

You can contact him from the website. I'm not sure his username here, if he's even on here. He's on HybridZ.

Yeah you're right. You stick with the simple stuff and you'll be fine. MS on the VG is easy. Just kind of getting disappointed in where MS is headed. If I replaced my ECU it'd probably be Haltech. Tried their software and liked it a lot.

Too bad it doesn't work on Linux AFAIK.

• 3 weeks later...

A PS1000, probably.

I have been reading about this for a few weeks now. I think in general people on many forums are thinking the same thing you are. The thing that kerps bringing me back to MS is the price ( And I love the waterproof box. I have a jeep too)

MS3 firmware is publicly available.

http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=125&t=55011

The MS3 daughter card schematics were not released, but the MS3X expander board ones are. Unfortunately, we had a couple companies making unauthorized clones of MS2, and did not want to see the same happen to MS3.

The MS3-Pro is intended, straight up, as a commercial product with closed source hardware, although its source code is published just like the regular MS3.

While most of the releases you've seen lately have been on the commercial side of things, development on the DIY side hasn't been tied off either. We have recently put out a couple more kits (such as the TransStim in kit form) and there are other solder-it-yourself items in the pipeline.

But they're acting more and more like a for-profit company without giving the customer and benefits of it. No official support, no returns, etc.

I'm not sure I quite understand what complains you have about our support team and return policy, but if you believe we have any areas where we need improvement in that department, I would like to hear from you. If you do not want to post them here, you can email them to websales@diyautotune.com.

MS3 firmware is publicly available.

I'm not sure I quite understand what complains you have about our support team and return policy, but if you believe we have any areas where we need improvement in that department, I would like to hear from you. If you do not want to post them here, you can email them to websales@diyautotune.com.

First, I wasn't complaining about DIY at all, just the MS developers.

Second, my mistake. I was wrong about the MS3 code not being available.

Third, I've calmed down. MS is still a great a great ECU at a great price. I was just whining about being ignored on the MS forums. And I forgot that companies offer MS3 with support, so my points are somewhat moot.

Edited by BLOZ UP

@ BLOZ UP,

I love DIYAutotune, Megasquirt and Tunerstudio. The only thing lacking is phone support, and with so many users, and so many homebuilt kits of unknown build quality and installation, I can understand why they prefer to support (which they do very well) by email.

I also really like the Haltech stuff from Platinum 1000 (PS1000) and newer, software included. And the guys in tech support have been great there too, including by phone.

BUUUUT, when you mentioned buying an old used Haltech E6 as an option to a new MS, I laughed. That software is horrible, and those ECUs have been outclassed over time. You'll be miles ahead with a new MS2 or MS3X.