HybridZ

MegaSquirt Overview for Newbies

Zmanco

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you purchase an all options included prebuilt board and use what you have and add fans etc as you go or does everything have to recieve a signal in order for the whole thing to work?

DIYAutoTune.com sells prebuilt and complete boards.

And no, you don't have to have everything working and receiving a signal for the complete unit to function.

• 3 weeks later...

just a quick question. the Stock AFM tells the ECU the amount of air that is coming through. once you use megasquirt, the AFM is removed. What tells megasquirt the amount of air that comes in? the Manifold Absolute Pressor (MAP) sensor?

just a quick question. the Stock AFM tells the ECU the amount of air that is coming through. once you use megasquirt, the AFM is removed. What tells megasquirt the amount of air that comes in? the Manifold Absolute Pressor (MAP) sensor?

Correct. It has a table of how much fuel to inject based on MAP sensor readings and RPM.

• 1 month later...

Hopefully this is a fairly simple question to answer, and I wasn't sure it needed it's own thread.

I've got a megasquirt 2.2 sitting here unassembled. I'm planning on running ms'n's on it. I know this means I'll be sacrificing FIDLE, but what if any hardware modifications do I need to make from the instructions on building a stock unit as far as the mainboard and relay board?

I'm not planning on running EDIS, so I'll be keeping a distributor since that seems like that keeps things simpler (unless I'm wrong).

If there aren't any hardware modifications, then I can just build it up the way the instructions say, and then once I've got it done I just flash it with the new ms'n's code instead before it goes in the car, correct?

I think you'll find that very few of us will remember exactly how to modify a MS board within a few weeks after we've done it. Hence you should find the mod you're interested in on the MS site and use that to guide you. At times it can be a bit confusing to navigate, but the good news is that the site is much better now than it used to be in this regard and continues to improve.

Other than that, your approach is correct. Build the board with whatever mods you need for your setup, then download the correct firmware to it, and install.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Here is something that often gets overlooked by the MS newbies, and the people giving advice. Before you buy, or decide on a unit...

You CAN and you SHOULD go download the Megatune software, or tuning package, from DIY Autotune. It's FREE!

DO install it on your PC or Mac, print out the manual, and start playing with the software while you learn it. Tuning starts to make much more sense when you get your hands on the software, play with it, and read the manual to it.

You can't really tune without the MS unit and the Sim board attached, but you get to see the software run, and see how to enter values.

Edited by cygnusx1

Thanks Mario, I had no idea that there was a full version of Tuner Studio! I used the free one a little bit, but for some reason, my cheap laptop didn't get along with it that well. It chewed up some of my already good maps and left me scratching my head when the car wouldn't run all of a sudden, after a map change. If I ever get a better laptop, I'll try the full version.

Edited by cygnusx1

• 2 years later...

nbesheer asked a valid question about passing CA emission testing. Nobody answered.

I to am in process of choosing an EMS for my S30  I28ET swap. I live in a wonderful TN county that does not require emission testing but the next town over does. Someday I will move. Anyway.

Does the emission test need to pass for a 1970-73 car? Do they plug into the ECU while testing? I suppose all states/counties are different.

The big question--when tuned properly will the I28ETengine pass emission testing no matter where you live? If you can't license it what good is the project right?

Or can you right a MAP tune to just pass the test? Then reload the good tune.

A properly tuned and functioning L28 can be tuned to pass Federal emissions standards anywhere (for the model year).  If you are in California, then you have to have a California model with the California emissions equipment.

I am under the gun in Colorado; I have to test and pass by the end of September to keep my classic plate registration.  I have not had to meet emissions for 10 years, but now I have to again.  We shall see how well Megasquirt does.

Edited by SleeperZ

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

It's pretty out of date now.

Options now are:

MS2 - $300

MS3 - Cost $400+, closed-hardware.

MS3 w/MSX - $450+ allows sequential up to 12 cylinder and some other stuff

TunerStudio MS is the only thing supported anymore (MegaTunix still works IIRC). TunerStudio is great software.

Basically, for a few hundred more you can get a Haltech or other aftermarket ECU and have a real company to support you.

Disclaimer: Getting kind of sick of the MS community.

It's pretty out of date now.

Options now are:

MS2 - $300

MS3 - Cost $400+, closed-hardware.

MS3 w/MSX - $450+ allows sequential up to 12 cylinder and some other stuff

TunerStudio MS is the only thing supported anymore (MegaTunix still works IIRC). TunerStudio is great software.

Basically, for a few hundred more you can get a Haltech or other aftermarket ECU and have a real company to support you.

Disclaimer: Getting kind of sick of the MS community.

Thanks for the update. I'm new to aftermarket ECU's.  I look at Haltech.

Edit:  I looked at Haltech... not cheap. 

Edited by Project1