HybridZ

1970 240Z Dilema

Stealth-Z

Hi guys,

I have a slight dilema here. A few hours ago my friend and I bought a 1970 240Z parts car. The VIN is in the 12,000's and it has an automatic with a SU carbed L28.

The dilema is about cutting it up. Check out these photos.

http://www.fairladyzg.com/images/240z/index.htm

This has no major rust. There is not even minor rust we have found. Floor pans are intact along with the battery tray. The primer is showing surface rust. Would anyone be interested in the body? It would be a shame to cut it up.

By the way, the Blue 1975 280Z, funny thing there. I jacked it up and the rubber insulators were rotted away. Not something I have seen happen before.

Ultimately I need to stop looking at criagslist!

Yea I would if you would ship it! Just got my 2 to the shop both need alot of work. Dose this car have a title?

We have a bill of sale from the previous owner. It was last registered in 1995. Getting a CA title would not be a problem.

Tomorrow we will do more indepth checking of the body. We are going to jack it up and poke around.

why would people

spend time/money to look for a car with perfect body,

spend time/money to buy a car with a perfect body,

spend the time/money to cut it up,

spend the time/money to remove the bad body panels from a rotten car,

spend the time/money to weld the good body panels to the rotten car,

spend the time and money to cover up the welding seams on the rotten car, spend time/money to dispose of the cut-up car that used to have the perfect body?

Wouldn't it be easier to start over with the car with the perfect body or sell it to someone else?

The drivers side floor board in the first photos is with the tar mat removed by the previous owner. He started scraping off undercoating all over it. We took a wire wheel to common rust prone areas. There was a small pin hole in the passenger side dog leg. I took a grinder and cut out about the size of a quarter to look. That was the largest area of rust. The shell is very solid.

We will be parting it out. The shell is free to anyone that wants it. We have a bill of sale from the owner. It was last registered in California in 1995.