HybridZ

Welder Reel Tensioner

So I've been using my Powermate 225 amp mig for a while now. Must say, I love the way it welds.

I'm having a problem with the reel tension though. The guy who sold it to me gave it to me for dirt cheap because he knew it wasn't "perfect" in its current condition, and he had rigged up a wooden mechanism to put tension on the reel.

I removed that and made an equally efficient tensioner using two magnets, that the reel would swerve through, like an s turn, and huge against the edges of both.

Now that works too, but I want a real tensioning mechanism.

what works best, exactly? im not sure what this welder came with, and im not sure how most other welders i've used are built, because i only used them in short bursts, and never had to adjust anything myself.

some i see are just like a gas cap with a bolt through the top to hold the reel to the drive mechanism.

but im willing to bet this one is different. I went to the welders depot and he got some lincoln nozzle parts for me, which are perfect. But the rest of the stuff, he can't get. =(

any ideas? its a horizontal mount, so the roll sits flat. and it accepts those really big 25 lbs rolls (which i got for free with the welder :D), possibly more. right now im using a 10 lbs flux-cored until i get some gas.

Guest TeamNissan

My welder has a notched wheel stationary then flat wheel that pivets back and forth manualy with a srew and spring... With the wire in betwen. The spring keeps tention on it at all times and the screw adjusts for dif size wire and or grab. It looks like I could make it with home depot parts is need be. I can take a pic tomarow if you need it.

Hope that helps man.

Are you talking about the mechanisim that stops the roll from free-wheeling when you stop welding? If thats what you mean my Miller just uses a spring with a knob on top so you can make it tighter or looser to your liking. This simply applies adjustable pressure to the 'hub' of the roll. I am sure you could make this or just buy it from a welding shop. Let me know if you want pictures of machine or something. Good luck!

Are you talking about the mechanisim that stops the roll from free-wheeling when you stop welding? If thats what you mean my Miller just uses a spring with a knob on top so you can make it tighter or looser to your liking. This simply applies adjustable pressure to the 'hub' of the roll. I am sure you could make this or just buy it from a welding shop. Let me know if you want pictures of machine or something. Good luck!

Hey, another ontarian! :D

if you could take a couple of pics of the inside and outside of the roll tensioner, that'd be awesome.

I'll compare the size that I need and see if I can get it somewhere, or make it myself if unavailable.

Pop N Wood, nothing wrong with a hybrid welder. I'm thinking of turbocharging it with a fourth high-output capacitor, or upgrading the stock tri-setup to a big dual. If there's room in the engine bay, I could probably get away with a Y3K big single.

:lol: