HybridZ

I'm Lsx Less!!!

I figure I would do an update on the crappy luck I've been having. I've managed to wreck the motors in both my cars in a months time!! This is getting expensive! Heres the story's on the 2 cars and maybe someone can learn and avoid my mistakes.

95 RX7, LS2-402. I bought the long block used with probably 1500 miles. I put around another 500. The car is mainly road raced and driven on the street. The engine devloped tons of blow by. Like a small block chevy with 300k! Got the motor pulled and sent to my machine shop. The motor had 4 cracked pistons on the 2nd ring lands, Due to detonation. Friends, the machine shop and I came to some conclusions to aviod this again. The TEA stage 3 heads were cut down from 64cc to 56cc, Making my compression 12:1. A little on the high side for pump gas. I'm gonna put my AFR 205's off the Z, to bring compression down to 11:1. The factory Mazda wiring was only giving the Walbro 255 9.5 volts with the car running. I've switched out the pump for a TT Supra pump (280 gph). And corrected the wiring, now has charging system voltage. I'm adding catch cans to both sides of the pcv system. Sucking oil through the pcv system lowers the octane of fuel as well as raises the compression! Tuning... The car is speed dencity tuned w/o o2 sensors. I'm gonna go to a different tuner and add o2's. I believe the car could have been running lean under different conditions (road racing). The car will also now have a A/F ratio gauge. I was also told my plugs are the wrong heat range (t-55). I'll be going to a t-6 or 7 plug. I believe the combination of these things killed the motor!

Now for the Datsun.....

The Z is mainly drag raced and driven on the street. It has been the most reliable car the last 3 years!! A friend with a SRT-4, claiming 400 hp at the wheels and trapping at 130 wanted to do some pulls on the freeway. 40-120 or so. No! I'm not a fan of street racing! We went out very early last sunday. On our 6th pull (yes i was pulling on him) The Z devloped a very loud rod knock on hard accel. Pulled off the freeway, good oil pressure and temp. Oil was 1/2 qt low and clean. Idled fine but on even a light accel it was knocking!! I was 2 blocks from my house and the motor came apart! F*%K!! I talked to my tuner and he said it happens with the LS1 motors. I picked up a long block for 1k! From a friend and member here that I sold this motor to. I'm gonna put the TEA heads on the Z and have the car retuned. This is starting to get expensive!!!!

Besides the luck I've had with ULISES's car, See thread http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=122139 . I cannot win!!! All of this will work out and I will have 3 beasts back on the road and better than ever!!!

Joey