HybridZ

Carbon Fiber rear taillight panel

aziza z

As you guys have resurrected this thread, I just wanted to let you all know that I haven't gone under - the 240Z CF panels are still being made and are currently available through Motorsport and they are selling very well, thank you. I shall be going to their show at the end of the month and hope to see a few cars there with panels installed.

Personally, the 240Z CF panels I produce are a side of my business that has to be profitable like anything else - its not just about putting a bit of money in my pocket (its not a hobby). There are overheads to cover. CF production is costly and time consuming, and you have very little in the way of 'repair' if anything goes wrong - fiberglass can be patched in if there are defects during manufacture. CF has to come out the mold perfect first time, and as such any failures can be costly due to the high material costs and labor.

It's one thing to make a piece for yourself or a buddy - your not really concerned about what its costing and how hard it will be to repeat again & again if you had to. But when you decide to sell something to the public, its a whole different thing. I see it happen all the time - someone decides to make some stuff and sell them, thinking it going to be easy. But then reality steps in - orders are taken (perhaps even money is accepted), but production starts to get behind or it starts to become 'too much trouble', and they give up. Meanwhile everyone is left wondering what's going on - some may even be out of pocket.

Its relatively easy to knock out a mold of something and bang out some parts if you not too bothered about quality or fitment and unfortunately the aftermarket car styling industry (not just Z stuff) is full of this stuff. Everyone knows the stuff I'm talking about - the 'direct fit' parts that need hours of work at the bodyshop before they can even be painted, and some just don't even warrant the effort as their quality is just so bad.

But we have only ourselves to blame - the reason this stuff is out their is because we aren't prepared to pay a realistic price for quality product. Everyone was looking for the cheapest stuff, saying that the other stuff seems 'too high' .....

...... we get what we pay for!

I only meant to say a few words, but have ranted a little bit - my apologies. :roll:

Anyway, hope to see some of you at the Motorsport Show

Steve.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 6 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...