HybridZ

Changes are a comin' at the Kelly Garage...

Mikelly

So I'd been talking about expanding my shop and needing more space... The plan was to expand off the side of the existing garage. However, the little black car in my avitar came to be and those funds got diverted. Now I'm looking at other options... I have 24ft. 8 inches by 32ft. 10 inches interior space in my shop. I have 13ft. 10 inches ceiling height, but the truss design didn't allow me to be able to install the lift, which is all I really need. So yesterday evening a buddy of mine was over for a cook out and we migrated to the garage while the wives told tales about us.

Dennis was looking at the trusses, and drawing a few things out on a note pad and we've figured that we can redo the trusses, allowing me the space I need to install the lift with just enough room between the top of the lift and the modified truss braces. SO, it looks like I'll be doing this sometime in July, and then getting the power company out to run a separate 200 amp power service to the garage. The panel and meter base are already there...

NEXT, I'm gonna gutt the shelving that is there, remove EVERYTHING from within the garage, and paint the walls, and finish the ceilings and paint them as well. I may build a closet for the compressor, but otherwise, I'll be spending some coin on some smart storage solutions. If any of you guys have ideas in this area, I want to see them, which is the reason for starting this thread... What I want is something CLEAN and PROFESSIONAL looking...

Fun FUN FUN!!!

Mike

I second the idea of getting the compressor out of the garage. Do you have another shed that gets used for lawn tools? That's where I put my compressor. It wasn't easy and did require A LOT of piping and electric to get from the shed to the garage but it's worth it. No floor space used and no compressor noise. This guy is in my neighborhood. http://ultimategarage.com Not cheap but if you have the cash and want it done right I'd give him a call.

Joe

I need 12ft. 6 inches for this particular lift, but check with the lift manufacturer because they vary from 11-14ft. depending.

I'll just be tickled to get it back in service, and get those udly work benches out of there... I also SMELL a car parts yard sale coming...

Mike

If you have the hight, build some 'mezanean' (sp?) style shelving, about 8 feet above the floor, suspended from the celing, so as not to take up floor space... I'd say mainly in areas along the outside walls, where you could simply use a ladder to get to when you needed.. I'm goin to do this in my tiny 22x24 garage for parts/ect storage. I only have about 10 foot hight, but in a lot of areas, it's wasted space IMO. Obviosly, you want the full roof hight where the lift will be though..