HybridZ

Block damage for accident?

I'm thinking about buying this as a donor car for my 240Z/LS1 project. I am concerned about possible stress cracks in the crankcase/block around the engine mounts as a result of the impact/s.

Are there common crack/fracture points I should be looking for? Thanks

Ute1_thumb.jpg

Ute2_thumb.jpg

Ute4_thumb.jpg

i doesnt look that bad the front suppport isnt even touching the motor,

just open the hood inspect the motor and assories for any damage,

ive bougtha wrecked car a couple year age and the the whole front end was shoved about a foot back, some of the assries were damaged and i had to cut the motor out but the motor itself was fine

What the heck is that?! Is that an Ausie Ute?

Yep. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holden_Ute

Despite there being plenty of them around, V8s are well treasure down here and usually well looked after. It would be hard to find one cheap enough to justify just using the engine and gearbox. This one only has 20k miles on it.

In buying just the engine and gearbox from a Wreckers (salvage yard) you are probably buying them from a wrecked vehicle anyway, plus, the advantages of having a whole donor car are well documented on this site, i.e. it comes with all the little attachments that not only match but can also add up to significant additional cost.

I would check the pasn side engine mount to see if it has moved any. Are you buying the entire car or just a pull out? When I bought a 98 TA that hit a tree head on.....I found 2 very small stress cracks on the block. Everyone here at HBZ said it was an easy fix and another member here who has a LS2 in his Miata said his motor had almost the same exact crack. Also with the car tweeked like that, check the tranny cross memeber and where the input is for the driveshaft. Another thing to check which may sound weird but check the rearend for any signs of a crack. The 98 TA hit the tree so hard that it cracked the rearend case. Hope this helps. Also does the motor run?

I would check the pasn side engine mount to see if it has moved any. Are you buying the entire car or just a pull out? When I bought a 98 TA that hit a tree head on.....I found 2 very small stress cracks on the block. Everyone here at HBZ said it was an easy fix and another member here who has a LS2 in his Miata said his motor had almost the same exact crack. Also with the car tweeked like that, check the tranny cross memeber and where the input is for the driveshaft. Another thing to check which may sound weird but check the rearend for any signs of a crack. The 98 TA hit the tree so hard that it cracked the rearend case. Hope this helps. Also does the motor run?

Thanks for the comment. By 'passenger side' I assume you meant driver's side (it's RHD). I'm buying the whole car for reasons stated in the first post and selling the unused bits. I don't think its had too bad a hit head-on, in fact none at all so the issues you raised may not be there but I will certainly look. It's at a salvage auction so you don't get to start the engine. You are right about the tranny though but the impact is hopefully nearer the two-piece tailshaft which should have absorbed the impact.

These cars are basically half GTO-half pickup. There are literally tens of thousands of them down here. Ford make them as well. http://www.v8utes.com.au/