HybridZ

Future of the sports car.

Blackbob

Some would say the Z stopped being a Z in the 80's and other would argue change did not hurt the Z. However,after the recent comeback of the Z as the 350Z I can't say I'm to pleased with the direction of the Z or sports cars in general for that matter. I do like it's bottom end torque,handling,and SOME of the styling cues. What I don't like is it's massive weight and twitchy steering. To me it looks like sports cars ( perticularly the Z ) are getting more watered down and idiot proof. What happened to the agressive monster track machines that where hardly street legal from the past ?:flamedevi:icon56::burnout:

Safety laws made everything heavier. Not much way around that.

There isn't much in the way of lightweight cars with oversized motors, that is true. But engines today are much more potent then the muscle car era. Suspensions and aerodynamics are also a step above the 70's.

I feel there is a renewed emphasis on sports cars and high performanc motors these days. It could be argued that this generation of vette is the best Cheby has ever built. There are more and more manufactures coming out with 2 seat sports cars. They are just in such expensive vehicles that it puts them out of the price range of the average hobbist. And since the only people who can afford most of these machines are older, it only stands to reason they go away from the raw performance car and add comforts.

To me it looks like sports cars ( perticularly the Z ) are getting more watered down and idiot proof. What happened to the agressive monster track machines that where hardly street legal from the past ?:flamedevi:icon56::burnout:

Law suits from said idiots, maybe?

"Derrrrr... I was driving this car really fast and I buried it underneath a dump truck. Nissan, you didn't make the car safe enough... durrrr"

Nah,

the Caymen and the Z4 go back to the first posters response "They are just in such expensive vehicles that it puts them out of the price range of the average hobbist." What I want to see is more affordable balls to the wall sports cars for the price. I think the market is missing those cars. Sure I could go out and "buy" a 350Z but I wont exactly be able to eat or maintains my uniforms either...lol.Everything in my age groups price range is either used (nothing wrong their) or suited for young parents as if automakers are like "well they'll probably knock someone up before the get a chance to enjoy this one so will just throw them something lame..ROFLMAO.

BlackBob,

Welcome to real world man, "sports" cars have always been out of reach for the youngest generation they are introduced to. The newer cars perform better than the older ones and are more comfortable at the same time. I won't comment on the new design styles as I grew up in the 70s and 80s and prefer the cars from those years.

Wheelman

I already have my future sports car. I don't really care too much about the pseudo, facsimile, wannabe, un-affordable, exotic stuff, anymore. Don't get me wrong, I like some of them but they are no substitute for the smelly, bumpy, loud, hard-to-drive, monsters of the past.

Guest Death69
Im really startin to hate how cars are coming stock with like a million HP, what ever happend to starting with a normal car and making it fast ur self, thats wats makes cars fun, when YOU make it fast as crap, not the factory.

but thats the age we live in. why do americans love fast food? it takes all the trouble out of doing it yourself. I believe that cars will sooner or later get to the point where what comes out of the factory is what you get. Yes, that takes the fun out of it for us, but foreveryone else, just makes life easier.

There are only a handful of sports cars on the market right now that get my approval. I just cant stand these overweight sports cars with millions of features. Coming from a 16 year old that goes to a high school where there are kids with 2007 BMW's, Audi's, even Mercedes, I just cant stand the new "sports" cars. Sure my tiny 240z isn't as comfy as these new cars but its way more fun to drive, cheaper, gets more attention than any beemer out there(sorta hate how it does), and I can kill the sports cars the kids at my school drive with me behind the wheel. I don't want to sound like im bragging but these dumba$$ kids have these 300+hp sports cars and have no idea how to drive and use the car.

But I must admit that the amount of engineering these new sports cars get are quite impressive, even though most of it is unnecessary. I've driven one of my classmates 2007 335ci(see what i mean) and it is amazing how comfortable the drive is yet when you take a corner quick and floor it after the apex it just takes it and asks for more. But ya...my datsun is better. :-P

I already have my future sports car. I don't really care too much about the pseudo, facsimile, wannabe, un-affordable, exotic stuff, anymore. Don't get me wrong, I like some of them but they are no substitute for the smelly, bumpy, loud, hard-to-drive, monsters of the past.

That's why I love my MR2 :flamedevi:flamedevi

There are only a handful of sports cars on the market right now that get my approval. I just cant stand these overweight sports cars with millions of features. Coming from a 16 year old that goes to a high school where there are kids with 2007 BMW's, Audi's, even Mercedes, I just cant stand the new "sports" cars. Sure my tiny 240z isn't as comfy as these new cars but its way more fun to drive, cheaper, gets more attention than any beemer out there(sorta hate how it does), and I can kill the sports cars the kids at my school drive with me behind the wheel. I don't want to sound like im bragging but these dumba$$ kids have these 300+hp sports cars and have no idea how to drive and use the car.

But I must admit that the amount of engineering these new sports cars get are quite impressive, even though most of it is unnecessary. I've driven one of my classmates 2007 335ci(see what i mean) and it is amazing how comfortable the drive is yet when you take a corner quick and floor it after the apex it just takes it and asks for more. But ya...my datsun is better. :-P

I know how you feel man almost every 2nd and 1st class on my base drives either an EVO,STI,05 style stang or something. Now my measily old MR2 will not take them off the line or from a roll from that matter. BUT,with a good driver and a cornering advantage it makes for a good show.

the problem is that quite frankly, the market does NOT exist for lightweight cars. Too many people think that a miata is a matchbox that will only get you killed.. The Mazda Miata has been, until recent model years, the exact definition of what you are looking for, except that in stockish form they didnt have a great deal of power. My biggest problem with them was always in the gearing, but unless you turbocharge a small engine like that making real torque is VERY expensive (build wise.) Hpowever, my brother's AutoX prepped Miata has beaten Corvettes and Porsches.. those were usually poor drivers, granted; a decent driver in a vette usually beat him.. BUT the competition was there in an autoX circuit.

My point is, the Miata sold well, but not incredibly well. Sports cars in general dont actually seem to be a paying proposition to the manufacturers.. because we all want to get them cheap, used.. not enough of us like to foot the bill for the new ones. Until more new car buyers are buying "real and lean" sports cars, there will be none on the market.

The market rules everything; thats what capitalism is.