HybridZ

Lt1 into 1981 280zxt

I am new to the forum. I have an 81 280zxt that I am going to install an LT1 with the 700r4 tranny. Just curious if there were any major problems that someone that has done the swap before has run into, or if there is a member here that makes engine mounts for the kit. I will use the search here too and see what info I can come up with to help me along with my project.

The prior motor in the car was the factory turbo, that I have done some mods to, like an intercooler, injectors, the usual stuff. Along with an old Haltec F7B that used to control 2 extra injectors that allowed me to run 17psi, that is until the old turbo died.

I got a deal on a complete car with the LT1 and all the goodies, so I bought it and would like to go V8 this time.

thanks for any help and wisdom.

the only thing i can tell you to watch out for is if your car is equipped with the powersteering gear box thing on the driver side by the o2 sensor. you might have to either make custom headers to wrap around that or swap the entire system for one that does not have the box. also u might want to check if the jags that run kit will fit a 280zx i know on my s130 i wanted to put in an ls2 but i couldnt because the kit wouldnt fit, and at the time i didnt have a welder. so check that about the kit.

You can buy mounts that will work with the LT1/700r4 transmission from www.zcarparts.com. The only real issue with the V8 swap is the header clearance on the drivers side if you have the reciprocating ball type steering system(big gear box on the drivers frame rail). If you have a power rack and pinion you can buy a set of headers from www.stealthconversions.com (JTR). Other than that its a pretty straight forward swap.

Guy

the only thing i can tell you to watch out for is if your car is equipped with the powersteering gear box thing on the driver side by the o2 sensor. you might have to either make custom headers to wrap around that or swap the entire system for one that does not have the box. also u might want to check if the jags that run kit will fit a 280zx i know on my s130 i wanted to put in an ls2 but i couldnt because the kit wouldnt fit, and at the time i didnt have a welder. so check that about the kit.

from what i have learned on this site, the LT1 works with the jtr mounts, but not ls1/2 etc.

My Z has the rack and pinion so there should not be a problem there with the clearance issues. I also found on this site a guy that sells the kit to relocate the alternator down low and get rid of the a/c and ps pumps. That should work also as well as to help clean up the engine bay.

• 2 weeks later...
My Z has the rack and pinion so there should not be a problem there with the clearance issues. I also found on this site a guy that sells the kit to relocate the alternator down low and get rid of the a/c and ps pumps. That should work also as well as to help clean up the engine bay.

Make sure that kit will work in your car. The ZX may be different but I have a 280Z with an LT1 and the alternator would hit the rack if you try to mount it low.

I did purchase the JTR mount kit as well as a few other things from them. I am using a wire harness from painless wiring as well. It all looks really good as far as the kit and parts go. I will work on something later that will move the alternator down lower, but for now I will just live with it up high.

so the car wouldnt be capable of using A/C with that engine?

I have a 383 SBC in my 83ZXT. Clearing the steering hardware was a real issue on running the full-flow headers. I ended up having to convert to a manual rack steering and give up the A/C system.

If you have the power rack it is nice to try to salvage that if you can. Driveability really changes, especially at low traffic speeds, when you give up the power rack. I had a speed shop assist with the conversion so I'm not sure how hard they tried to work around the problem. We didn't consider the JTR headers at the time. It might be best to locate someone that has actually installed the JTR header on the driver's side in the ZX and see what issues they still had to overcome. I know on my conversion it was the biggest hurdle in the fabrication.

You can see from the attached photo how the steering rod was custom-fitted through the fabricated headers.

DanJ

Header, Steering Rod_thumb.JPG

I have the power rack in my car. The JTR Headers clear the steering shaft pretty easy, as well as I am going to have lines made at a shop here thats the best I think for making custom lines, that will join the chevy p/s pump to the Z rack. It should make things nice as far as driving, and low speed stuff goes. I am not worried about the a/c. I really never use it, even living here in Texas. My daily driver go-cart (1990 CRX with b-18 swap) does not have a/c either. I will just take the t-tops off the Z and cruise, thats enough a/c for me. Right now I am getting the engine and engine bay ready, just a little cleaning and come paint, this week the motor should be in its new home and the wiring will begin.

turbo81racer:

I have an 83 with a SBC/700R4 combination putting-out an honest 430 Lbs of Torque and 430 H.P. that has been running since 2001. After the initial sort-out I've had zero problems.... and a lot of fun. I made a post of various piece-parts dated 5/17/2001 (ZX SBC Conversion using MSA mounts). If you have any questions of would like some photos just ask..

Good Luck

Dan