HybridZ

o-ring vs. HKS

datz280

No, they are not.

But I know plenty of L-Engine people running HKS and no O-Ring.

They really are a stopgap...If you misfuel and detonate, something is going to break.

If you O-Ring, it will be your pistons, regardless of what super-duty unit you have. With just the HKS, you might blow the head gasket, but unlikely---JeffP sunk the ring lands in five pistons without ever hearing any detonation whatsoever...plain old HKS Gasket.

So it's more overkill than anything else.

Properly fuel your engine, clamp it to the block properly with good fasteners, and either setup will provide yoeman service.

Detonate, and it doesn't matter what you have, something is breaking, likely expensive pistons. Personally, I'll prefer to blow the head gasket and save my $100 per pistons! LOL

I blew a steel o-ring with copper head gasket. The gasket shoved right out past the o-ring and the o-ring fell into the combustion chamber. This was all on stock turbo pistons. I swapped to the steel hks gasket and am still using those same pistons.

I chose to o-ring my block and use an OEM Nissan head gasket. I have JE pistons and so far the engine has held up to as much as 25lb boost, one overheating and some abuse early on when I didn't have an intercooler. I agree that nothing will make your engine detonation proof. Better components will probably take the abuse longer but still will eventually fail with poor tuning.

No one has mentioned it yet but using studs rather than head bolts will make a HUGE difference in keeping the head gasket in place.

je.jpg