HybridZ

LS1 MegaSquirt Install

mobythevan

I am very close to having this running correctly. I have spent the last two weeks working out issues with the new 029y4 code and the LS1 sensors. The car has been running, but the trigger inputs are not decoded correctly so RPM is not steady and therefore it doesn't run very good.

I finally completed experiments last night that are very promising, so I am building a little extra circuitry and should be running 100%.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fixed 3 things and now I get steady rpm and the car is running pretty good. I am working on tuning now. I updated the settings in this thread to reflect what I found.

1. I had a bad opto transistor, it finally quit all together.

2. I had some settings wrong in megatune.

3. I had a bunch of higher frequency noise all over my MS setup. I added bypassing caps to the following wires on the relay board (.01uF and .22uF): battery 12volt, switched 12v, crank sensor input, cam sensor input, injector bank 1 control, injector bank 2 control.

Now I am going to install the knocksense module to monitor while tuning.

Also, I get a little bit of popping out the pipe at about 80kpa and 2000rpm. Could that happen if I'm too rich, it is definitely rich right now as I am just starting tuning.

• 9 months later...

An update to the LS1 megasquirt notes was that the .01uf cap needs to be installed directly on pin 11 of the processor (to gnd). The tach input pin (14) already has a .01uf cap on it from the original circuit.

• 9 months later...

OK, I'll try the attachement feature here. This zip files has two msq files, both work with HiRes10e code. That is what I run on all my cars right now. One msq is for gas, the other for e85. My car has 150lb injectors so you will need to change virtually all of the settings to make this files work. Warmups, accell, ASE, cranking PW, required fuel, etc. But at least it will give people a starting point.

EDIT: I can't get the zip file to attach, the manager says upload failed every time.

Ha ha, it worked today. Let me know if you can download them and view them.

Also, I will be making some updates to the LS1 writeup soon. I am doing a second setup and I will refine the instructions and give some more details about the board mods I did and wiring harness color codes. This second setup is a v3.0 board so I will be able to provide instructions for both v2.2 and v3.0 mods.

msqfiles.zip

files opened perfectly

are those really your AFR targets?????????????/ jeez

and how much boost are you running.. your maps are only scaled to 7psi?

Thanks for all your help. That writeup for the hardware assembly for v.30 board would save me A LOT of research and headaches.

I'm not running any boost, my turbo is bad. That was the AFR targets I entered to begin tuning, but never got to tuning yet because the turbo took a dump. What you don't like 11.0 everywhere? :icon52: ha ha. That is why I never posted msq files before because they are in such a state of no tuning that somebody that doesn't know better is going to have problems.

I am in the process of updating this thread because I have received a bunch of emails lately about megasquirt on the LS1. I moved the installation write up to the top post and also put the msq files in the top post. I will be updating for v3.0 board mods shortly. I also stuck this thread because I had more than one copy and I am just linking everyone here now.

• 2 weeks later...

No, it is too small and does not move enough air. I have had good luck with air valves from an rx7 that are as big as the brake booster line.

Also, I am verifying the correct spark setup and trigger return tomorrow morning to remove the last quirks from my write up. I will update after the tests.

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

No updates, these instructions should still work for v2.2 and v3.0 MSI installs. I am waiting for my money situation to be right before drag racing my rx7 with LSx engine. I still run my car routinely to make sure everything is working, no other problems so far.

• 1 year later...

I am in the process of building an LS1 setup for a MS2. Reason is that we have drivability problems on the turbo/LSxRX7 that I believe are related to a lack of ignition resolution. My configuration is pin compatible with the MS1 version covered here.

Questions for Bryan: is the trigger angle between the LS1's cam signal and the desired trigger tooth 60 degrees? And should I continue to use rising and falling on the second trigger setup? MS2 doesn't have the trigger/return settings of the MS1.

I have the LS1 MS2 setup with all outputs correct running on my Jim Stim - will be trying to get it going on the car in the next few days. When I get it working I'll post the V3.0 upgrade process from MS1 to MS2 and my msq.

• 7 months later...