HybridZ

n/a tranny swap for t5

az240z

I Have a 1982 280zxt with a bad tranny. I have found a 1979 motor and tranny that will cost next to nothing. The question is can I put the 79 tranny into the 280zxt and will it work with the turbo motor? What else would I need to make this work? Will the 79 tranny work with the turbo flywheel or will that have to changed? I know I would need an n/a drive shaft but what about the cross member? will the n/a clutch hold up?

Any and all comments are greatly appreciated.

az240z

Something like that has been done before so I dont see why not. From what I hear some people prefer swapping the non T5. I have a T5 borg in my 240Z and I am never going back to NA tranny :D. I just know that the transmission mount will be different. I could be wrong.

Search , this has been discussed a million times before. Yes it can be done. You would want to keep the Turbo flywheel and plate. Use the Na Drive shaft.

NA driveshaft *might* not fit (mine didn't). The pinion flange was different on my turbo car then on the 82 NA ZX donor.

Mario

• 5 weeks later...

If your turbo car is a 2-seater, then you'll need a 2-seater non-turbo driveshaft and the corrisponding flange off the differential. Your turbo Z has an R200 diff. A non-turbo R180 flange might not work so look for any R200 (maybe a 2+2 NA 5-speed).

Keep the rear transmission crossmember from your turbo car. Turn it 180 deg and reinstall it in the car. It'll all bolt up.

If you have a 2+2 turbo then just make sure you find a 2+2 non-turbo driveshaft. I did the opposite swap in my car. NA 5-speed to T5. I later swapped for a turbo engine.

The clutch setup will be fine.

• 3 years later...