HybridZ

LS1 / T56 in a 280Z

I'm looking for past experience advice on the pro's and con's of swapping my L28 for a late model LS1 with a Borg Warner T56 transmission. I have bought and read the JTR manual....just looking for real world testamony from someone who's either done it or seen it done.

The chasis is a '76 280Z ex Texas.....I also have thoughts about a glass body conversion - but that's another topic!

Guest RyalC

The LS1 is a great engine. It is light (all aluminum with the block weighing around 50lbs less than the SBC) and makes a ton of HP. GM has consistently underated it - stock 1999 f-bodies made around 345hp. I believe there are just a couple of complicating issues for a swap. The engine is wider than a traditional (or LT1) SBC, parts availability is limited but growing rapidly, and re-programming the computer is VERY expensive since so few folks have the software thus far. All in all - a pretty cool swap smile.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Just FWIW I know of a few local LS1's that bit the bullet from underclearanced rod bearings, tick tick poof. I have no idea if their are any more or less % failures among Lt1's (of which I've heard of no OE failures) or LS1's (of which I've heard of a few). Just wanted to pass on the odd one has had some troubles and at $8k or so new OE that's a lot of conversion work to have it tick tick poof.