HybridZ

Eric's 280Z (Lexus V8)

I don't think it's going to be too much of a problem with the springs. The 1UZ is a relatively light motor (aluminum alloy, plus only running an alt. on it). Even if it is a screwup and ends up being a waste of money, I'm not too downhearted about it. Live and learn (I'll just keep a positive attitude about it).

I've decided that I want to get in on the Sportmax 002 group buy before it runs out. I'm going to get gunmetal grey (car will be painted a silver color).

Then I'm going to try out these tires:

General Exclaim UHP 225/50ZR16 93W

ge_exclaim_uhp_ci2_l.jpg

They're quite a deal (80 bucks a pop on tirerack.com) and have great reviews. I'm really looking for a cheap summer tire that has good traction. They seem to fit the bill.

If someone has a better suggestion of tire to go with (sub 140 per tire), please let me know.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The R154 won't have a problem with a n/a 1uz or even a lightly boosted one. People do break the thrust washers but you have to beat on them hard with alot of power. I would put the trans you want in it now. If you put the auto in now and later swap it later it will cost more. You might have to redo the trans mount and the exhaust and deffinatly the driveshaft.

Here's a bunch of 1uz link http://1uzfe.com/hp_links.htm

Yeah, I'm looking at custom exhaust (2x probably, turbo'ing it later), custom driveshaft at least once, fixing the trans. computer to accept a standard trans., bellhousing and other trans. costs. There is very little aftermarket for this motor, but that's what makes it unique.

The more I think about it, the more I know I should do it right the first time. My original plan was to get it on the road ASAP and do the mods I want as I go, but that doesn't look like the most money efficient way to do it.

Since the UZ blocks all share the same exhaust flange, I could go with SSAutochrome tundra headers ($175/set) while I leave it NA (quite some time... FI is over 5 years and countless lessons away).

I've got to do more research on the different transmission options now, so I'll get back to y'all later on that one.

I was under the impression that the R154 could handle over 1K horsepower. Guess I was wrong.

I'm a regular at lextreme.com as well as HybridZ.

R154 is rated around 500hp most them break because of week a thrust washers in the tranny like clifton said it can be fix by chryo"ing" it . But i was saying go with tremec because Thorracing sells a kit with all you need to hook up the TKO man. 5 speed to it its nearly bullet proof .

I've been looking around for a cheap Tremec transmission since yesterday. I found one about 5 hours from me for 500 bucks obo (Tremec T56). I don't know much about these transmissions, except for the fact that they've been used in many high power applications. Only problem I see with them is most of them have incredibly low 6th gear (0.62 or 0.5), which would be nearly unusable at highway speeds.... Even if I was going for top speed, I don't think my little V8 would be able to push it. Not really a big deal, the 6th gear would be nice to have for the flat plains of west Texas.

EDIT: Found quite a few TKO-500's near me, sub-500 bucks (Ford version). Can someone give me an idea of a decent price for one?

I've been looking around for a cheap Tremec transmission since yesterday. I found one about 5 hours from me for 500 bucks obo (Tremec T56). I don't know much about these transmissions, except for the fact that they've been used in many high power applications. Only problem I see with them is most of them have incredibly low 6th gear (0.62 or 0.5), which would be nearly unusable at highway speeds.... Even if I was going for top speed, I don't think my little V8 would be able to push it. Not really a big deal, the 6th gear would be nice to have for the flat plains of west Texas.

EDIT: Found quite a few TKO-500's near me, sub-500 bucks (Ford version). Can someone give me an idea of a decent price for one?

It has to be a Chevy one to work with the 1UZFE or the the input shaft wont be of the right dimension .

• 4 months later...

Small and pitiful update:

After about 6 months and 5 real hours of labor, I pulled the engine, computer, and harness (uncut).

I ordered a complete top end rebuild kit with pretty much every gasket and seal available. (325 bucks) I should start disassembling and swapping stuff out this coming weekend if I can come up with some time.

From there, it's time to wheel out the Lexus donor and wheel in the Z.

Moving along slowly...

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't bought them yet as I have just begun my engine rebuild.

Also, I started talking with a friend of mine the other evening and he has started a plan on building his own car (80's camaro).

It looks like it is going to be a horsepower shootout between the two of us. The only way I can beat him is FI. For the time being, I am going to use the stock exhaust manifolds with side exits (uses less pipe).

I settled on the T-56 transmission for the double overdrive and as I doubt I could make enough power to break one. (If anyone has one for sale in TX, let me know). Some folks at Lextreme are having a custom bellhousing/flywheel/clutch kit made.

Here's some initial teardown pics:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/trainman235/1UZ/IMG_1211.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/trainman235/1UZ/IMG_1218.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/trainman235/1UZ/IMG_1225.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/trainman235/1UZ/IMG_1226.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/trainman235/1UZ/IMG_1236.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/trainman235/1UZ/IMG_1243.jpg

Sometime around Christmas I plan on buying new rims (and I've got credit for tires). I'm only going to be putting about 200hp to the wheels at first, but I don't want to upgrade to wider rims when I start putting more power down (won't be going over 500hp, ever). I'd like recommendations for rim/tire size.

My current idea is 16x7 (0 offset) and 225 55 16's. Ideally, I'd like to find the compromise between low drag and ability to put power to the ground.

I wouldn't worry about low drag, it's an S30 not a Honda insight:mrgreen:. Having a narrow (streetable) tire and getting power down doesn't happen, I'm sure others on here with big power will agree with that. If you are planning 500 hp with a turbo, your torque will be high and there will be more of a traction problem than a 500 hp n/a motor. Go as wide as you can and hopefully you can use a street compound.

I completely agree with you that a narrow tire won't get alot of power to the ground. Lets say though that I keep the stock setup for a year or two, do I really need a huge set of tires? I think not. I figure that I'll put 35K miles on between the initial setup and the turbo'd setup, so that's one set of tires down (depending on tread life).

So for my stock 1UZ (generous guess, 200hp to the wheels), do you think that 225 55 16's will suffice? That's roughly 25.7" tall and 8.9" wide.

It's the torque that's the problem. A stock 1U shouldn't make too much to the wheels. Tread wear is a good indication of traction. A tread wear rating of 340 won't be nearly as soft as a tire with a TW or 180, the lower the number the better it will stick but the less tire mileage. If your stock for now I would run what you have.