HybridZ

Eric's 280Z (Lexus V8)

On Saturday after work, I decided to finally ditch the SC (which later turned into taking it to our farm). After exhausting all methods of loading it back onto the trailer, we decided to lift it up with the engine hoist and back the trailer under it. Aside from being an incredibly stupid idea, it worked quite well. For reference, you can sort of see why I got such a sweet deal on the SC in the second picture, it has excessive wheel travel. :wink: Moreso, it has a strut that was literally sheered off, a damaged inner fender, and a broken a-arm.

IMG00005.jpg

IMG00007.jpg

Once we got it to the farm, unloading it was as simple as chaining it up and pulling it off.

IMG00008.jpg

And finally, getting the Z out of the barn and onto the trailer. It took a while due to approach/departure angles, but we finally managed to do it.

IMG00009.jpg

My dad lent me one of his old Optima batteries to see if anything in the car still worked. Lo and behold, it actually cranked over (yes, I checked the oil and coolant first, both were clear). Even the dome light functions. Hopefully this coming weekend I'll have time to drop the gas tank, clean it out, install a new fuel pump and start it up.

Also, after a more in-depth inspection, rust is a bit worse than I remember. Several holes under the battery tray, tons along the rocker panels, and some beginning along the hood. Oh well, it will be one fast rustbucket. I'm going to start searching for a rust-free chassis to work on once I get everything going in this pile.

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thread revival:

I've started gathering more and more parts. I've purchased both a front and rear brake kit ("Stage 4") from bajaracer as well as an energy suspension bushing kit. As of this moment, I've got all four strut/spring assemblies pulled and ready to be rebuilt. I've got both front control arms torn apart and in the process of being torn down, painted, and put back together.

It looks like I'm going to need LCA ball joints in the front, but I can't decide where to get them from. I've seen as cheap as 35 bucks from rockauto.com, and I could order my outer spindle bearings while I was at it, but is there a cheaper place?

While I'm at it, I need new u-joints. From the 4x4 world, the best seem to be Spicers. Any recommendations? I'll put up some pictures tomorrow or something. I've already come in for the evening.

Here are some of the pictures that I took this evening:

I hope nobody tries to steal my car and drive off with it :wink:

DSCN0025.jpg

Clear left:

DSCN0016.jpg

Clear right:

DSCN0020.jpg

Clear to taxi:

DSCN0017.jpg

New rust formation.... it's almost like its own ecosystem!

DSCN0024.jpg

If you look off to the left on the bench, you can see my painted but unassembled strut assembly... it must be the best looking part.... off the car:

DSCN0026.jpg

Rear end hiding under the table, waiting to be tackled.

DSCN0027.jpg

Bolt collection table... mostly from the front; some from the back:

DSCN0028.jpg

Cleaning table... two spindles complete with shot bearings.

DSCN0029.jpg

Comments? If you look down the center of the tunnel, you can see that one of the bolts holding the control arm sheared off.... it should be fun getting that out. While I'm at it though, I can remove the bolt that sheared off on the opposite side, holding the sway bar..... GRRR

• 3 weeks later...

Well, my 280Z is progessing nicely. By the end of today, I'll have the entire front suspension painted and together.... I'm STILL waiting for my front brake parts from bajaracer (UPS's fault), but then they'll be going back on. I'll be starting the rear suspension this afternoon... This car has cost me much more than I originally anticipated (somewhere in the neighborhood of 5K?)...

Perhaps I'll get some more pics up soon.

Well, my 280Z is progessing nicely. By the end of today, I'll have the entire front suspension painted and together.... I'm STILL waiting for my front brake parts from bajaracer (UPS's fault), but then they'll be going back on. I'll be starting the rear suspension this afternoon... This car has cost me much more than I originally anticipated (somewhere in the neighborhood of 5K?)...

Perhaps I'll get some more pics up soon.

If you're already over-budget, what's a little more?

1200038700la.jpg

http://www.race-cars.com/engsales/other/1200038700/1200038700ss.htm

Now there's a 1UZ you can be proud of!

Yup... seen it on Lextreme.com.

Alot of engineering went into that motor; alot more even in the car. That motor doesn't have much balls below 5K (still more than mine), but tons all the way to the redline.

Speaking of the 1UZ, there's a guy on Lextreme with an unopened 1UZ running 22psi....

http://lextreme.com///forums/showthread.php?t=1238&page=11&highlight=st185

Edit: Forgot to mention the fact that it was 22psi with a 10:1 compression ratio.... Thought that was neat.

So my plan was to fix the L28 and drive it while I saved up enough money for the swap. I was planning to swap the spare 5-speed I had instead of leaving the 4-speed in that I had. Turns out, it was a really great idea.

I started pulling the 4-speed out this afternoon. As soon as I lowered it some, it just started gushing trans. fluid out of the rear of the transmission. At least 2 quarts. If I don't go partying tonight, I'll put the 5-speed in. Otherwise... it's going to wait until Monday.

Haha. The only things that stand between me and driving my car are:

Front strut assemblies need to be bolted on

Rear struts/springs need replacement still

Waiting on front brakes from bajaracer (STILL, damn UPS)

Bolt on rear disc brakes

Need to remove broken bolt from frame (one that holds the A-arm)

Need to remove broken bolt from rear sway bar mount

Rear Strut assemblies need to be rebuilt/bolted on

U-joints need to be replaced

Rear driveline needs to be bolted back on

Fuel rail needs to be unclogged and bolted back on

Transmission needs new fluid

Transmission needs to be put back on

Starter needs to be bolted back on

Battery needs to go back in

Replace 90% of the bushings

New tires for my Rotas....

The list has some things missing from it surely... All in good time I guess. After the next few days, I won't be able to touch it 'till Christmas most likely...

I started pulling the 4-speed out this afternoon. As soon as I lowered it some, it just started gushing trans. fluid out of the rear of the transmission. At least 2 quarts. If I don't go partying tonight, I'll put the 5-speed in. Otherwise... it's going to wait until Monday.

Looks like you parked it and started taking the suspension off. The driveshaft was off in the one pic and then you started taking the trans down.

I'm thinking it was gushing fluid because you didn't drain it first!! :-D

You seriously need to consider some additional Jack stands. I'd be very uncomfortable under that.

I felt the same way about the jackstands at first, but its actually quite stable (knock on wood). I've shaken it quite a bit and given it some big pushes and impulse hits (falling against it) and it still hasn't moved...

But essentially yes, I parked it, pulled suspension, pulled drivetrain, and pulled the transmission. Are you telling me that the rear of the transmission isn't a sealed unit? I didn't drain it because I figured it was all sealed (like most transmissions?). That means I'll have to use a damn pump to fill the other.... jesus.

This whole project kinda just sprung out of nothing... At first, the plan was buy the car, replace struts/springs and drive it. Then, after leaving it at the farm for a while, the rear drums locked. I figured while I'm at it, upgrade. So I bought rear discs. I looked at the front brakes as well, rusted and barely able to turn... upgrade that too. No biggie to replace it since I'm going to do the springs/struts. While its apart, I might as well do some rust prevention... paint everything and get new bushings....

It just keeps adding on every time I work on the car. That "while I'm at it" thing.

But essentially yes, I parked it, pulled suspension, pulled drivetrain, and pulled the transmission. Are you telling me that the rear of the transmission isn't a sealed unit? I didn't drain it because I figured it was all sealed (like most transmissions?). That means I'll have to use a damn pump to fill the other.... jesus

No it is not a sealed system. It is very easy to drain and refill.

If nothing else I'd feel better if you added some jackstands. Do it for me! ;).

No, I'm not gay just concerned.

I'd love to add some jackstands, but I don't own any more. Otherwise, I would.

It has been sitting that way since I brought it back from our farm. I don't think its going anywhere.

When it comes to refilling it, whats the easiest way? While the transmission is down, when its up, etc. I don't want to fill it and then dump out 20 bucks in fluid when I'm putting it in :P

I'd love to add some jackstands, but I don't own any more. Otherwise, I would.

It has been sitting that way since I brought it back from our farm. I don't think its going anywhere.

When it comes to refilling it, whats the easiest way? While the transmission is down, when its up, etc. I don't want to fill it and then dump out 20 bucks in fluid when I'm putting it in :P

Most trannies will leak if they don't have the propshaft pushed into them or if they aren't tipped forward quite a bit. Some tranny shops will fill difficult trannies with fluid on the bench with a spare propshaft yoke stuck in it and swap it out quickly for the propshaft once it's installed.