HybridZ

Eric's 280Z (Lexus V8)

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So while I'm up here in college (170 miles from my car), I'm trying to decide what to do with it.

I really want to run Megasquirt on it, but I'm not sure what I should purchase. I'm going to get it running with the stock EFI for a while, then convert it to MS, then hopefully run boost later down the road. I'm thinking that I'd almost rather just go all out with the MS II system just so I'm never limited by table sizes or anything. I'm thinking EDIS for ignition, LC-1 wideband, etc.

I already purchased a laptop for school and tuning (gonna run Megatunix).

I know there's more to it than what I know of right now, but what am I missing and overall, what do I need?

did you ever get the transmission?i took some measurements, and unless your going to have some serious power out of the engine, use the 1uz auto transmission bellhousing, and get an adapter plate to bolt it to a mark3 N.A. W58.i got the trans at the junk yard for 100, and the plate for 250 shipped. it SEEMS that mathematically it the shifter should line up with the trans tunnel hole. i was also wondering if you have taken any measurements, or had any idea of the motor mounts?

there's a member on ..clublexus or lextreme that lives in new zealand thats makes them.we ordered 3 or 4 at the same time, but it only saved us about 20-40 dollars each. i'll try to get his name and i'll send it to you. its nice too, the way its made. there is a welded part that will help align the trans and the bellhousing.btw, are you thinking of putting a cage in your z?

• 7 months later...

I've passed one year and 8 months on my project now. A car that I bought for 800 bucks turned into a multi-thousand dollar project that will probably never end. The initial phase of "get back onto the ground with a few new things" is done.

Summary:

Suspension, brakes and drivetrain (including all mounts) have been stripped down to the metal and repainted with a bunch of parts replaced in-between.

Issues:

One of my bolts is broken that holds the rear A-arm to the chassis. I'm going to borrow a buddy's tap set today and fix that up since a screw extractor is nowhere near strong enough to get the job done.

Here's a few more photos. It sure doesn't look like alots been done, but man I've poured some sweat and blood into this car's underbody...

17x8.5 Rota RB-R's with Yokohoma S.drive 225/45R17's

DSCN0495.jpg

Stuffing the tire with the floor jack to check clearances (looks like it clears by about a 1/2 inch)

DSCN0496.jpg

My enthusiasm in 100 degree weather... (The calipers were installed just after)

DSCN0501.jpg

Glamour shot:

DSCN0502.jpg

First time she's had a shoe on since I bought her...

DSCN0504.jpg

I'll take some photos of the drivetrain and suspension in a bit. The progress sure doesn't show from the outside of the vehicle :P Hope y'all like it...

No doubt. I had a pretty rough evening yesterday though. I bought a set of rear disks that came with a bolt on bracket... Unfortunately, I put the bracket on backwards and can only get to the bolts with the stub axles off. Removing the stub axles again doesn't bother me (I already did one of 'em), but I'm ruining the locking stub axle nuts when I take them off (at $8/each from Nissan).

Being poor and stupid sucks...

On the brighter side of things, stub axles aside, I may have the rear drivetrain and suspension all put together by this evening....

LOL! There is no such thing as a cheap rebuild. Getting it running is the easy part, getting it running right takes time and money. It took me exactly a year to do my LT1 swap. As I said to one of my buddy's "I am now in my 8th month of my 2 month project"! Much of that time was those while I'm at it stuff. Brakes, lowered suspension, baddog frames, custom dash, custom fuel tank. Am I done...hell no. I doubt this car will ever be really done.

Stick with it, the rush of that first ride will make all these hassles worth while. And when you're done and people ask where you got it you can truly say "I built it".

I am also interested in doing a lexus conversion in my 280z. Can you tell me how you decided on your engine as opposed to say the chev 350? I am concerned that there doesnt seem to be much technical info on the lexus conversion, so im looking toward the LS1. However it does seem that the lexus would be a great engine being light and powerful. Are you just gonna face the engine fitting problems as they arise or do you have some help?

Brakes are installed and plumbed on all 4 corners now. This thing should stop like a mother...

Things to do:

Fix/install half-shafts (redrilling the holes a $hit-o-meter bigger... must've been from an R180?)

Get transmission filler plug un-stuck and fill it. (PITA)

Fill differential with fluid

Bleed brakes

Recheck torque on all underbody bolts

Hook the exhaust back up

Bleed clutch slave cylinder

Install the flywheel "lower shield" piece

Fix the wiring on the fuel pump

Once that crap is done, I just need to drop the car on the ground and fix the engine...

I am also interested in doing a lexus conversion in my 280z. Can you tell me how you decided on your engine as opposed to say the chev 350? I am concerned that there doesnt seem to be much technical info on the lexus conversion, so im looking toward the LS1. However it does seem that the lexus would be a great engine being light and powerful. Are you just gonna face the engine fitting problems as they arise or do you have some help?

Well, the 1UZ probably wasn't/isn't the best choice for the power-to-weight ratio... Almost every Chevy block will make alot more power for alot less cash than the 1UZ.

However, the 1UZ is a Toyota engine. The only maintenance it'll ever need is a timing belt every 90K and an oil change. The 1UZ block has alot of technology and overbuilding packed into it. Over on Lextreme, there's a number of guys running 500 HP on unopened blocks.

Sturdy? I think so.

Reliable? Yes.

Easy to install, fit, and make power? No.

Aftermarket support? Nonexistant.

There are always trade-offs for every situation. I like the 1UZ alot. It sounds superb and has lots of room for growing.

Today has to be one of the best days I've had since I bought my car. For the first time, she got off the jackstands and stood on all fours. With her rebuilt suspension, new brakes and Yokohama shoes. There's still alot more to be done, even under the car, but man, I don't think she's ever looked better. Mmmmmmmmmmmm...... Pics to follow...

The painted underside that nobody will ever see...

DSCN0507.jpg

The suspension that nobody will ever see...

DSCN0508.jpg

The view that everyone WILL see... Some guy with a huge damn grin....

DSCN0517.jpg

Glamor shot...

DSCN0520.jpg

Highlight on the Rota's...

DSCN0521.jpg

Nice @ss...

DSCN0523.jpg

Hope y'all like 'em...

Your Z is looking pretty good now. How is the fit on the Wheels? I know mine were a tight fit. But damn they look good!! Your pics make me want to go out in my garage and clean up all the brake dust on them right now!! haha.

I see that view with a guy with a huge grin all the time. (When I pull up next to SUVs with shiney reflective paint, glass buildings, etc!!!)

Thanks man... As it turns out, I do have a slight issue with rubbing the front lower valence panels when the wheels are turned. It doesn't seem like it'll take more than a half inch of grinding to fix, but its just another thing to do.

I went with 225/45R17 tires with these rims. In retrospect, I would've almost rather had a little bit taller tire. These rims look mean with some real rubber around 'em.

Regardless of the aforementioned, I almost couldn't be any happier with my suspension/brake/wheel rebuild....

EDIT:

I should also mention that today marked the second time that I've ever sat in a Z that was on the ground (the previous being when I bought mine). It feels spectacular. I'm looking forward to my first time driving a Z more than ever.

Edited by 91_4x4runner
Addition