HybridZ

Building a scale windtunnel

Seems to me that "Mythbusters" tv show did a piece on whether or not a passing train would develop "suction" to pull a passenger off the dock onto the track. They built a scale windtunnel complete with smoke injection to test model trains a different "speeds". Their tunnel looked to be about 3 feet square and used packs of large straws to "straighten" the air flow. I think they used a "high speed" video camera to slow down the movement of the smoke to the point that one could see a vortec at the end of a rail car. There might be something of interest there.

g

Hmm. Thanks for the heads up. I think they also did a pickup liftgate in a water tunnel. In any case I am talking to my brothers ex girlfriend via email. She has built a 1200mph windtunnel which refracts a laser on a turbine for some reason. Not sure about it all yet as we are just starting to talk. She said she will take me to see her tunnels though, so that is cool.