HybridZ

Drove it today !!!VIDEO!!!

Hey Darius..my son said you were at his work the other day looking to buy some race gas (im assuming maybe for the Z's first outing?) and they were out. He should have told you to stop by our house for some. You better stay out of Concord with that car, as after our one episode with Concord cops and our Z we dont go through there anymore!

Man that video is awesome to say the least and gives me some inspiration to get going on my own stuff. We have the 240z, Z06 and SD-455 all waiting for engine and/or blower additions now and just dont have the time. Id rather be goofing off traveling rather than working on cars right now.

it worked, i saw the vid, OOOOOHHHHH MMYYYYYYY GGOOOOOOD, great, awesome, fantastic, cool, sexy, i might run out of words to discribe this beast, Darius, i'm sure not regretting painting my Z black after yours.

i love it, tune the beast and burn some rubber :)

good luck and awesome work

I'm sure I could fab something up, but with the blower on the left side, and the intake tube for the air filter up the right there really isn't room for a pump.

Have you considered an electric power steering pump? I believe the 2nd gen MR2 used one. I would never drive a rig with 285s or more on the street without power steering, would wear out before reaching the destination. lol Just a thought for you.

• 4 months later...

wow man im sorry to do this to ya guys but let me be the first to say i dont like the new z...i was inspired from day one by the original d-1 powered lt1...hey what ya doin with that motor supercharger combo by the way p/m me with answers!!!! im just old fashioned i guess srry fellas but i totally like the ole sleeper version better than the hey every look at at wat i got thing i know im gonna get a thousand boo's and im preppared for that but by no means am i disrespecting the time and effort and thought that went into the new one i just LOVE the older version but hey thats what makes custom building a car exactly that and when ya have the money behind you to do different thing then i guess i could see the point in change but AH im gonna miss the SLEEPER!!! best of luck with the new one though im sure ill come around to likin it as much as the old 1 one of these days

It's still not tuned at all so I didn't go more than half throttle. It feels like driving a go kart. Hard car to drive, no power steering with 285's is a bitch to turn at slow speeds.

I am running the 285 A6 Hoosiers on the front, I can attest to it being tough at low speeds. You need arms like Popeye.

I checked in to electric power...very cool. Check out this link.

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/11/03/sema-flaming-river-electric-power-steering/

The unit is very small, and has a variable assist control knob. I was in till I saw the price...at $4000.00, I figured my arms could use the work out!

Just thought of something. If you have the quick ratio steering arms, that'll make it tougher too.

Darius, nice work man. I know the feeling...it is just like a big freakin go kart!! As for your lack of power steering try running an aftermarket set-up like I did on my Z. It is an Appleton power rack, not too expensive, easy to mount, and a bunch of ratios to chose. I went with the 2.0 lock to lock and I'm running 305's in the front and it works great. Anyway, impressive work dude.

Rack 001_thumb.jpg

Rack 002_thumb.jpg

Rack 003_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Twistit

Wow, very nice. Some other people here called that body kit the YZ kit. I've seen a lot of z's and the only other similiar one is Jay Hitchcocks. Are these kits in production? I'd be very interested in finding it.

Darius is a young guy - he'll just have to hit the gym more often to get some huge arms and chest muscles to make up for the absence of PS! LoL!

Darius - Awesome looking and sounding! I can't wait to see some vids of you punishing that thing under full throttle!