HybridZ

brace between tranny and diff

I posted that idea over 10 years ago when the Internet was just a place for email and ftp. It was on the email list now known as the IZCC list and Paul Richer (a member here) took that idea and many others of his own, mine, etc. and made up what you see now as the V8 faq on the IZCC web page, www.zhome.com.

Anyway, it was a brain fart. There's no room to do it, without alot of tunnel surgery. I wasn't up for that, so I left it alone. I still think it'd be a good idea, and would tie in well with a Lotus-type "spine" chassis configuration. If you're up for modding the tunnel to make room, it could be done, but you'd be encroaching on the interior space in the seat area, where width is already a scarce commodity.

There's a bit of history anyway...

Guest Anonymous

I agree, if you did some tunnel surgery a torque arm from the front diff mount to the tranny mount would probably just about end front mount breakage issues and the torque arm could have a rubber front mount so it would still be relatively quiet, you may even be able to incorporate a driveline hoop into the deal, (course probably wouldn't help halfshafts and stub axles with the additional torque now hitting them). :D

Regards,

Lone

Always the issue of room under there, well I was just curious what the thought was. I'll think it over when I'm staring under there at the minimal space. If I end up with side pipes, which I think looks nice on Z's (except for the clearence issues), then maybe it will free up a small amout of room near the tunnel.

Bryan

Bryan, thanks for letting me re-think this (old-to-me) problem.

Without the stock diff front crossmember (use a pinion snubber arrangment instead, or maybe none at all), and with no exhaust taking up room, you could build an arm to go from the front of the diff housing, underneath and to the side of the driveshaft, to the tranny. Those two things being out of the way opens up alot of room under the driveshaft for this sort of thing.

Make it a tall arm (in cross-section), like a 2x3, with the 3" side vertical, attached (welded) to a bracket that captures the front of the diff housing using the 4 vertical bolt bosses, and a bracket under the transmission mount pad and any other mounting points, with the mount under that to the tranny crossmember. That might just work. Transmitting the torque from the back of the tranny is the tough part. I'd be concerned about reacting all the torque rigidly through just the tranny tail housing. The 3rd gen F-body T-5s had a few lugs on the tail housing for a torque arm, that'd help. But I'd like to see it maybe carried forward to where the trans case splits also.

Hmm.. Just another brain fart, but maybe there's some merit there still...

They introduced it on the C4 IRS in '84 and I considered using it, but the C4's is a massive aluminum unit shaped like a u-channel and about 10" tall at the diff and narrowing down towards the tranny end. It is a work of art but just no room in the tunnel and it required extensive mods to the tranny tailhousing since the TH2004R does not have the mount points. It would also have interfered with the driveshaft hoop and tranny x-member.

I had planned to fab my own mount for the front of the diff. I have the LSD diff and it has the 300z input flange which doesn't work with the front diff mount. I could just swap out that front flange, but if I am making new mounts whats the difference. Unless that limits my options on u-joint compatibility for the driveshaft??

I've seen mention on a website about installing braces from the tranny to the diff in order to reduce body twisting. Is anyone running braces like this? Could this kind of bracing be used instead of heavier framerails for "daily driving"? Just looking for ideas since this seems like more of a bolt on solution vs a welding adventure with the frame rails, sub frame connectors. I didn't dig up much searching for this and have not seen many other people mention it.

Bryan

I've heard a few horror stories about gear whine and bearing failure from simpling bolting and unbolting the pinion flange to make the swap - so leaving the 300ZX flange on makes good sense. I haven't looked, but there's a spicer page at:

http://www2.dana.com/expert/wc.dll?DSD~dedsec~2~2~

where you might be able to find a flange yoke that will take a 1310 or 1350 series joint to make a driveshaft for.

Instead of a box section arm, perhaps consider a tube coaxial to the driveshaft. I'm thinking something just large enough to enclose the u-joints, with fittments at either end to fasten to the tranny & diff. Sectioned longitudinally for installation, fairly thin-walled, possibly aluminum. At the front you'd need to fasten to the extension housing bolts with a fairly heavy-gauge assembly, at the rear - ummm, how about welding something to the diff box? Dunno, it's still early.