HybridZ

To make a Z "rust resistant"...

I just finished restoring the body of my 78 280Z from the the ground up, removed all the rust, everything. Now this car will be driving on salted roads, because I go to school at Rhode Island. I want to make this car as resistant to rust as possible. Someone said to use Rhino Paint, I think that's what its called which is the paint-on truck bed liners under the car and wheel wells. Anyone heard of this or tried it before?

I just finished restoring the body of my 78 280Z from the the ground up, removed all the rust, everything. Now this car will be driving on salted roads, because I go to school at Rhode Island. I want to make this car as resistant to rust as possible. Someone said to use Rhino Paint, I think that's what its called which is the paint-on truck bed liners under the car and wheel wells. Anyone heard of this or tried it before?

its heavy, and if not grinded down, the texture will grab dirt. it is durable, but the other downside to that is, you can't see if is rusting from the bottom.

just pointing some things out.

Yeah I wouldn't say it's the best for preventing rust, but it is a good start. I would go with a good solid epoxy primer ensuring all little cracks and spaces are filled so theres no place for moisture to hide. Then go over the under body with rhino liner. That will ensure that rocks and things that bounce up don't chip the paint and allow moisture in.

Buy a second car and drive that in the winter.

Either that or just plan on restoring the car a second time once you finish school.

Z cars and salted roads simply do not mix.

This is good advice. The other thing I'd suggest if you absolutely have to drive on salted roads is what the Canadians do. They have shops that drill holes in inconspicuous locations in doors and frame rails and they spray oil into these areas. That apparently helps a LOT. Krown is one place that does it. http://www.krown.com/

I really don't think the Krown treatment is going to save your Z from salty roads, but you might get an extra couple years before you can do a Flintstone style stop with your feet through the floorboards...

A good, quality epoxy primer liberally applied followed by a high quality paint job will do a lot to keep rust at bay. Making sure all the drain holes are unplugged, all the drain tubes are in place, and periodically washing the underside of the car helps too.

Here's an advice from a true rustmaster... I AM CANADIAN and I'm from the province of Quebec, we get the worst winters in North America and we also are the heaviest road salt spreaders.

First and best advice is Pop N Wood`s! No matter how much you spend, THE CAR WILL RUST AGAIN! You better save and buy a $500 shitbox instead of investing those same $500 for something that will only SLOW DOWN the cancer.

Epoxy primer IS THE BEST base you can put under the car AND everywhere else for the matter.

If you use truck bed liner, try to use a spray on instead of roll on as it will give you a smoother finish. It's not a bad thing but as was stated above, you will have to be very meticulous about inspecting the bottom of your car as the thick stuff can hide many things.

If you use rust proofing, you MUST use something that runs and drips.

The thick crusty stuff is for NEW CARS ONLY which have never seen rust yet. As stated by jmortensen, krown IS THE BEST rust proofing.

The sad thing is that rustproofing makes working on the car a bitch, as everything gets greasy and sticky.

Wash the car as often as you can but, DO NOT GARAGE THE CAR.

The reason for this is that the salt mixed with water is frozen and thus way less prone to get into all nooks and crannys. If you garage the car, this will melt with the heat and will just chew away at your car.

Hope it helped.

chaosdrifter06, ...Think about it for a minute. You worked so hard as to have your Z rust free, ...Please save it! I'm from Minnesota, we too get the Worst of Nuclear Winters. I know the deal.

Repeating others as to drive home the idea here....

No matter how much washing primer process bs, POR and or "rust proofing" it will NOT be able to keep salted water bath and airborne roadspray from killing it while corroding every part, every zinc plated fastener, everything.... Period! Not like over a few seasons, like one winter it will pop rust again and you will be mad at yourself for doing so. Been there too many times.... You can't get the rust proofing in the areas you need it.

Not to mention if someone hits you on an icy day. Not to mention you will easily be run over in traffic by 30 year newer FWD drive cars and SUVs. You'll be a sitting duck to say the least.

Get in the race, get a winter beater. If it only lasts though one winter, it worth every penny. Even if you have to buy one every winter, worth it. Even if you have to fix the brakes, Worth it.

Brian

I'm going to agree with you guys that are saying buy a winter beater.

Last year I bought a (slightly rusty) festiva for $250, drove it through the winter, then sold it for $350. :ass:

2 of the 4 winter beaters I bought are out of commission due to people crashing into me during the winter. Which is worse: losing 2x $500 economy cars (great gas mileage before they were wrecked), or losing a classic Z car at $1000 - $10,000?

My current winter car is a nice little AWD Impreza that I got off ebay for $850(us). A couple hundred into winter tires and I not only spare the Z, but actually ENJOY driving in the snow and ice.

It's not a bad idea to put a little effort into making your Z more rust resistant, especially if you live in a rainy area, but DO NOT drive it in the winter. If you MUST drive it all year around, move to Texas.

POR-15 anybody???

The guy said that $500 is a lot for is college student budget.

POR 15 is insanely expensive and to get the whole underside of even a small car like the Z, he's probably going to hit that mark.

You say $500 is a lot for you... How much time and money have you spent to get the Z in the condition it is today???

How much would it cost you if you run it off the road or get hit by an overconfident SUV driving soccer mom??? Way more than 500 cause, lets face it, Zs are not renowned for there sturdiness in the even of a collision.

Do yourself a favor and brake the budget, buy a beater or otherwise you might and probably will end up with NOTHING at all to drive around.

I know the truth hurts but, you asked for advice and this is the best you'll get.

Alexideways, please don't be offended by what I am about to say, but I am aware of the Z being a death trap and not being the safest car out there. But the thing about being run off the road or getting smashed by another car can happen no matter what car you're driving. If I had to work to get that five hundred to protect my Z, I would work for it because now that I think of it, $500 (or lower) for a beater every winter, it would be more expensive than $500 one time around or every few years. :)

Por-15 is a pain in the ass and spendy. Only a touch better than a good paint job.

Masterseries Coatings. It wil even stop rust from advancing with out removing the rust. It has been protecting bridges for years. And you can paint on it like a regular primer surface. It is awesome stuff.

Just dont get any on your paws. You will be wearing it for days!

http://masterseriesct.com/

I got a gallon of RUSTBULLET I did the whole inside of the 240z the bottom, the inside of the doors, i also used etching primer as a base for the rustbullet and i used PPG epoxy primer. and i used GATOR GUARD as my under coating, and for the inside of my front fenders.. Rustbullet was about $100 a gallon i used 1.