HybridZ

Sign in if you own an s130!

007max

The engine side AFM clamp looks loose. Nice shiny new AFM though. :-D

Yeah it was loose... I just ripped the whole engine out as it has 232,*** miles on it and I am sure the previous owner did not maintain it as well as he thought. It had compression of 120psi on 5 of 6 cylinders and cylinder 4 had 90psi. It is getting a full rebuild. While I am at it I think I will upgrade the fuel rail and some other crap too, why not right.

why not. had it for a few years, why not post SOMETHING about it.

82 Turbo Automatic car to start i guess

83 Motor

Z28 Camaro T5 - dont ask me how, was my dads project back in its heyday.

pallnet fuel rail

Evo intercooler

z31 ecu/maf run as blow through

corbeau fx1 pro seat

rjs racing harness

momo steering hub / ebay for the lulz drift steering wheel. (loved the feel, cant wait to get my grip royal wheel)

begi RRFPR

240SX coilovers/camber plates, etc

welded r180 (LOL) ;)

itsproper acrylic 6" shift knobby

some stupid 17x10 cheap wheels with horrid offsets - no care, drift spare.

83 dash and tails

240sx rear discs

ISIS hydro ebrake

broke **** racing full drift 12 pt roll cage (got about 6 points in so far lol)

lotus yellow exterior (need to repaint) black painted and stripped interior with teal cage

Still a glorious work in progress. basically retaining what i can in terms of datsun for drifting. i cant see myself sliding anything else and i love how the car handles. from what it was to where i'm getting it, what a ride. as much of a car as it is mine, i'd love to keep it as a tribute for my father as it was his old ride that he put together in his old shop. having him see my progress everyday, i see the cringing when the car slides into walls and taps goofy 240's while tandem runs (slammed a curb at about 45 in a 4 car train, was absolute magic LOL) , but i also see a bit of happiness in there, that his old beast is just getting romped. :)

maybe i'll have vids, drift pics soon. waiting on our resident drift film bros to get it done.

bring on the purists. as a quick little thank you note here: purepontiacdude - saw pictures of your steering knuckle stuff somewhere, helped me out a ton. obvious easy was obvious.

post-12636-087455700 1346434809_thumb.jpg

post-12636-093215700 1346434816_thumb.jpg

post-12636-048529300 1346434823_thumb.jpg

Edited by bsmuwk

^ Awesoeme. Would like to see more pictures of those wheels with the 280zx.

i dont like them that much really. they're just a cheap wheel for me to destroy. just waiting on my new front wheels to come in. coilover friendly offset and a 3.5" lip. cant wait. :)

I'd like to see they hydro setup. and just pics of the interior in general

what interior? LOL

Anybody need a MINT black carpet kit that was purchased NEW in 94 for $80 shipped? rather, the rest of the black interior as well.

Now their going after my beloved s130 chassis. :( What is a Nissan lover to do?

count your blessings and be happy your car is just getting THAT much more rare.

i dont like them that much really. they're just a cheap wheel for me to destroy. just waiting on my new front wheels to come in. coilover friendly offset and a 3.5" lip. cant wait. :)

Thats just it. Beyond the old snowflakes, I haven't seen many wheels on a zx that were concave instead of lipped.

count your blessings and be happy your car is just getting THAT much more rare.

I guess, but I never sought the s130 to be a particularly rare car. There are some rarities like late slicktops with few options, but that has never been what I appreciate about these cars. The affordability, strong chassis, better rustproofing than the s30's, decent aero, light weight, large engine bay, adaptability, etc... are some of my favorite things about these cars. Unfortunately the very first one, affordability, along with rwd has volunteered the car to the drifters, even though its performance of the fuction leaves much to be desired. But then again "performance" and "function" are words that do not properly translate to the language of the drifter. I digress

Edited by roger280zx

trust me, your chassis is safe from being a consumable by drifters. in short, the chassis sucks. alot of time has to be put into the chassis before its even somewhat considered competitive in drifting.

regardless, i'll put up some picture of the interior, etc in a few days. i have to finish and paint the interior first. :)

this is my 280zx, from perth western australia. the car is a jap import

021.JPG

, photos are from about 18 months ago when it was still on the road....

its currently not road registered (stickered/cancelled rego by the police state @#$!!!)

the motor is out, have a new ($75 from a newspaper ad, some guys were building a track z and didnt need it. has a brand new clutch- yay!)

the body is reasonable, esp compared to the the occasional other 280's i see around

the interior is immaculate but doesnt have orig steering wheel, drivers seat and centre guages which have been replaced with rubbish ones that have changeable backlighting

i bought it off a mate who had it for about a year but is worryingly obsessed by his 1600 and didnt want it. its the first nissan ive owned and i have to say that one drive and i was smitten. its my baby and some day it will be back on the road, hopefully as a historic tarmac rally car.....

• 2 weeks later...

My first 280zx and its a 1981. Just bought it two days ago. Mostly stock has aftermarket exhaust, not sure of brand bc i didnt do it. Its got ALOT of work that needs to be done to make it nice, but it runs and drives amazing for the year, and without having been restored or upgraded already. It might have actually been "downgraded" from turbo to non-turbo. Not sure really how to check. I mean yah the engine says turbo in big letters on it but its not hard to replace the head or covers or any badges that say "TURBO" on the car just to make it look cooler to some. ANYWAYS I love it!! I have always like the classic Z's since i was a kid, but never got into cars until recently.I have always been a motorcycle/truck guy, and still am. I am also a motorcycle mechaninc. I do have alot of interior and exerior work that needs to be done so if anyone has anything they recomend starting with any and all info/guidelines/do's & donts/or random facts of knowledge are greatly appreciated!!

I have been thinking about doing ColdAir Intake first, then an HID conversion. Mainly just bc they both help with the daily driving aspect and the performance aspect!! RECOMENDATIONS for both PLZZ & Thank you!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I picked up my Z back in May of '12, it is in very good condition, the previous owner was also the original owner who took extraordinary care for it. Here are a couple pics, there will be some more when I finish some of the work I am doing now...

datsun1.jpg

datsun2.jpg

Oh yeah... Forgot to mention it is a 1982 Turbo... It was picked over other options such as Porsche 928 or Chevy Corvette (I was only looking at '82 model year).

Edited by EvMcMan

why not. had it for a few years, why not post SOMETHING about it.

82 Turbo Automatic car to start i guess

83 Motor

Z28 Camaro T5 - dont ask me how, was my dads project back in its heyday.

pallnet fuel rail

Evo intercooler

z31 ecu/maf run as blow through

corbeau fx1 pro seat

rjs racing harness

momo steering hub / ebay for the lulz drift steering wheel. (loved the feel, cant wait to get my grip royal wheel)

begi RRFPR

240SX coilovers/camber plates, etc

welded r180 (LOL) ;)

itsproper acrylic 6" shift knobby

some stupid 17x10 cheap wheels with horrid offsets - no care, drift spare.

83 dash and tails

240sx rear discs

ISIS hydro ebrake

broke **** racing full drift 12 pt roll cage (got about 6 points in so far lol)

lotus yellow exterior (need to repaint) black painted and stripped interior with teal cage

Still a glorious work in progress. basically retaining what i can in terms of datsun for drifting. i cant see myself sliding anything else and i love how the car handles. from what it was to where i'm getting it, what a ride. as much of a car as it is mine, i'd love to keep it as a tribute for my father as it was his old ride that he put together in his old shop. having him see my progress everyday, i see the cringing when the car slides into walls and taps goofy 240's while tandem runs (slammed a curb at about 45 in a 4 car train, was absolute magic LOL) , but i also see a bit of happiness in there, that his old beast is just getting romped. :)

maybe i'll have vids, drift pics soon. waiting on our resident drift film bros to get it done.

bring on the purists. as a quick little thank you note here: purepontiacdude - saw pictures of your steering knuckle stuff somewhere, helped me out a ton. obvious easy was obvious.

You might think the wheels suck but it's a nice fitment - more info please!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i am finally at a point in my car build that i am ready to show some pics! i have a 79 2+2. i traded my 89 Honda crx for it and feel like i did all right on the trade. of course i did occasionally have traders remourse since i traded away my autocross car. but i really enjoy the build of the project so no big deal. i started by super cleaning the car and trying to get the heavy smoker smell from the car. the headliner was drooping so i tackled it first. then i started noticing the rust poping through on the lower doors and front fenders. and the crushed rails under the floors... and the horribly heat checked paint and dents in the fenders from the last engine swap. so... i attacked. cut out and repaired the rust in the doors and fenders, removed and welded closed the holes from the body trim and emblems. and re constructed the floor support rails. during the bodywork phase i got creative and added a small tail to the rear and a splitter to the front. all steel and welded up. here's a couple pics of where it was when i got it, where i went with it, and where it is now. next is suspension work to get it autocross worthy and some good tires and wheels. i also have a mega squirt set up ready to go in. the engine is from an 83. i am also considering a t5 swap in for a smoother, faster shift. btw, this forum is a great resource!!!

post-27252-0-06753600-1356012879_thumb.jpg

post-27252-0-24513900-1356012967_thumb.jpg

post-27252-0-33406800-1356013107_thumb.jpg

I finally had a chance to make a top speed run in my SR20DET 280zx 2+2.  The turbo, cams, intake, exhaust manifolds are all stock and I was running 93 octane at 11 psi.  I have a lightweight flywheel and underdrive pulleys.  GPS showed 145 mph and climbing strong when the ECU decided to cut fuel and end the momentum.  I found this wierd since I don't have the transmission sender hooked up to the ECU (running a mechanical sender) and the ECU is not in safe mode.  Oh well when I switch to the Power FC and other injectors this issue will go away.  What a great little motor.  Oh yeah I run 255/40/17's and have the factory 3.70 gearing.

i am finally at a point in my car build that i am ready to show some pics! i have a 79 2+2. i traded my 89 Honda crx for it and feel like i did all right on the trade. of course i did occasionally have traders remourse since i traded away my autocross car. but i really enjoy the build of the project so no big deal. i started by super cleaning the car and trying to get the heavy smoker smell from the car. the headliner was drooping so i tackled it first. then i started noticing the rust poping through on the lower doors and front fenders. and the crushed rails under the floors... and the horribly heat checked paint and dents in the fenders from the last engine swap. so... i attacked. cut out and repaired the rust in the doors and fenders, removed and welded closed the holes from the body trim and emblems. and re constructed the floor support rails. during the bodywork phase i got creative and added a small tail to the rear and a splitter to the front. all steel and welded up. here's a couple pics of where it was when i got it, where i went with it, and where it is now. next is suspension work to get it autocross worthy and some good tires and wheels. i also have a mega squirt set up ready to go in. the engine is from an 83. i am also considering a t5 swap in for a smoother, faster shift. btw, this forum is a great resource!!!

Don't get all hung up on the T5.  If you want to upgrade from the stock NA 5sp the S13 is a fairly easy swap or go for the ultimate and swap in a Z32 tranny.

I finally had a chance to make a top speed run in my SR20DET 280zx 2+2.  The turbo, cams, intake, exhaust manifolds are all stock and I was running 93 octane at 11 psi.  I have a lightweight flywheel and underdrive pulleys.  GPS showed 145 mph and climbing strong when the ECU decided to cut fuel and end the momentum.  I found this wierd since I don't have the transmission sender hooked up to the ECU (running a mechanical sender) and the ECU is not in safe mode.  Oh well when I switch to the Power FC and other injectors this issue will go away.  What a great little motor.  Oh yeah I run 255/40/17's and have the factory 3.70 gearing.

Pics!  Haven't seen an SR swap in an S130 before ;)