HybridZ

Sign in if you own an s130!

007max

i am also considering a t5 swap in for a smoother, faster shift.

Have you driven fox body mustangs? The T5 is by no means a real "winner" of a trans. Ford guys use it because it's what's available, that's it! Any guys out there doing serious racing either dump the T5 or go with completely different gear sets, making it not so much of a T5 anymore, basically in box name only. They shift terribly, and you have to be careful setting stops on aftermarket shifters otherwise you can ruin them quickly.

Considering that I've seen plenty of guys put 300+ to the wheels on the S130 NA Manual trans, and that I've seen plenty of 300whp mustangs blow up T5 transmissions, I'd say the benefit is hardly worth it. If you're going to do an upgrade, look at the Z32 trans. It's a hell of a lot better through and through. Better case and bearing design that's not going to flex as much, beefier gears through and through, much better syncros that will last through much more abuse.

Don't get all hung up on the T5.  If you want to upgrade from the stock NA 5sp the S13 is a fairly easy swap or go for the ultimate and swap in a Z32 tranny.

I think the main reason for the thought of the t5 is the abundance of cheap units available.  I have no plans to run a gazzillion horsepower.  I would use the transmission that is in the car if someone could tell me how to smooth up the shifts,  I tinkered a little with the throw of the shifter, trying to shorten it a bit, but that isnt that important to me if i could just get to third gear without having so much hesitation and hunting.   I have read that the stock 5 speed is fairly durable, so my main concern is just smoothing things up.   Any suggestions?? and if anyone has managed to shorten the shift throw some, i would be interested in knowing how.  I monkeyed with the length of the fulcrum below the pivot.   I like the length of the shifter so the easy cheat of hacking the length of the upper isnt an option.

Your transmission needs work. If it feels sloppy then I'd first look at the bushings at the shifter pivot. I've driven some sloppy shifting Z cars and found that the bushings were just plain GONE. If the bushings are there and in good shape, then syncros might be in order. Or you can do what a lot of us do, just go find another trans. There's at least 2 or 3 S130's in my local yard every time I go, so they're always in supply. Another reason I don't personally want to convert to the T5.

Colorado junkyards are scarceon s130's also, I feel your pain. I had one guy laugh at me when I called ahead to ask if they had any Z cars in there. He spoke as if I was asking if they had scrap Ferrari F40s lying around, "those things are rare as hell and a gold mine if you find one." About a month later I picked my running 82 turbo for 900 bucks. Whatever.

i actually have another option. i have another engine and transmission that may end up in there. i have a well built small block chevy and a Richmond t10. i am kinda leaning that way eventually but it will be a ways off. i plan to use aluminum heads instead of my old school steel heads for a little weight loss and modernization. my only concern is the weight difference. i know there is a bit of difference. not really sure what that will do to the balance. the plus side is i know the trans is light and i know its tough. thoughts???

The weight difference is not a big one, especially with aluminum heads and intake. If you are using a small block and four speed I'm gonna take a leap and say you want to drag race? To counter the weight difference, (although unnecessary in my opinion) you can move your battery to the back, use a fiberglass hood, remove the front bumper, run some lightweight 15x3.5" drag wheels in the front, or any combination of those things. I've driven a couple V8 z's with SBC swaps and I'll admit, you dont notice the weight, you notice the torque, and the dependability.

you notice the dependability.

...or lack thereof? lol

L series is way more reliable than a V8 any day of the week.

I've run my motor out of oil a couple times, daily drive it, drift the piss out of it on weekends, and just beat the shit out of it in general, and it just takes it without giving one single **** about it.

I have had excellent luck with small block chevies.  I have used and abused them the same way as purepontiackid.  nothing against the Nissan 6, the sbc is just way more familiar to me and I think cheaper and easier to build horsepower from.  just my opinion.  any swap I do would not happen for quite a while.  cash flow being what it is will be cause for gaining familiarity with the 6 and the 5 speed.  for now I am just looking at options.  

• 2 weeks later...

I've got one! Ha. (in addition to my '76) Trying to get her running now. Seems no matter what she doesn't want to run right. I've tried 5 different ECU's and 2 o2's and they all make her run differently; not perfect but some better than others. Just ordered a maf so hopefully that will get her running correctly.

Fully refinished interior, digital dash, lowering springs, header and full exhaust. nothing much else.

Side note: I went to a junkyard in the NC mountains and found a complete turbo model sitting up there. Complete from trans to head to oil cooler. If anyone is close and wants to make the trip its at a place called "Rustys pic-a-part". Kinda cool; only one I've ever seen in a junkyard ever.

Edited by R3VO 3VOM

...or lack thereof? lol

L series is way more reliable than a V8 any day of the week.

I've run my motor out of oil a couple times, daily drive it, drift the piss out of it on weekends, and just beat the shit out of it in general, and it just takes it without giving one single **** about it.

None of my v8 Zs ever leaked oil, so, yea I would say they are more dependable than your particular L... faster too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...