HybridZ

Sign in if you own an s130!

007max

OK, here's mine. I just did the paint this past christmas. I've owned it since 2000. I just couldnt find time to get the paint done because I was to busy painting everyone elses car! I'm making time now :mrgreen:.

I'm building a shop at my house right now and the first car I'm doing is my 130. It's an 83 with no real engine mods (YET) I've been making a one off body kit for it piece by piece for a long time now so it's time to put it on. I'm making my own because I havn't seen a body kit for the 130 that does it any justice. I'm sure all you 130 owners know what I mean. I have more pics but they need to be resized and its late so I'll put some more up tomorrow. Hope you all like it.

resized z pic_thumb.JPG

resize z2_thumb.JPG

resize z3_thumb.JPG

Man I wish I could airbrush! Thats really a cool look I dig the color choices it really pops. From the flash on the paint I asume that is a large flack metalic paint job? I bet it looks even better in the sun. Nice job.

There are about 6 different steps to this spray job. Starting with the sealer coat then the black (three coats),then the flames are done in white and transparent white. After wich you highlight the flames with whatever color candy you want the flames to be. (I chose blue but you can make them any color.) Then you put a couple of coats of the blue candy over the whole thing, let it tack up and start in with the clear. Start to finish took about three hours, not including prep. If you have about $500.00 and some paitience you can learn to air brush pretty easily. Thanks for the compliment on the car. here are some more pics of the car after some clear was applied. I included one of me replacing the heater core and evaporator just to show how well I know my car...lol Almost forgot. There is also two coats of blue metal flake added in with the candy coats!

resize 5_thumb.JPG

resize 4_thumb.JPG

resize 6_thumb.JPG

resize 7_thumb.JPG

rearcompressed280.jpg

front280compressed.jpg

Heres my 82' 280zx N/A. Stock so far. Installed Suspension technique sway bars (front and rear). This weekend I should be installing my tokico shocks/springs, and a cool air intake from MSA :D This is my first car, Gotta love those S130s

Now there is a first car to remember!! Dont ever let it go man. Simply a clean and beautiful car:mrgreen:

Drftn280zxt...nice ZX, I like both yours and the white one. I doesn't look too bad with that big exhuast in the back, I'm sure others will disagree, but I like it! I'm used to seeing that on Z's being I was in Okinawa for eight years. :D What kind is it? Nice shot by the way...I posted my ZX on here too.

Drftn280zxt...nice ZX, I like both yours and the white one. I doesn't look too bad with that big exhuast in the back, I'm sure others will disagree, but I like it! I'm used to seeing that on Z's being I was in Okinawa for eight years. :D What kind is it? Nice shot by the way...I posted my ZX on here too.

It is a custom mandrel bent 3" exhaust. It has a 3" Magnaflow high flow catalytic converter and an APEXi N1 muffler (also 3").

Here's my current project Z: 1983 280zx n/a to turbo swap. Basically, a while back I found a 280zxt donor that I bought for $250 - the owner didn't know anything about Datsuns and couldn't get it running. I went over there, bought the car from him, spent a few hours doing a basic tune-up, cleaned all the connectors, corrected the wiring on the TPS, tweaked with the AFM, and she fired right up. She still had to be trailered home, though, because after driving about 8 miles the LF wheel flew off - it was rainy, midnight, and I didn't trust the spare donut, so I called my uncle to help me get her home.

The turbo body was pretty shot, so I was searching for another shell. That brought me to the n/a. It was owned by a 19 year old girl (she picked it out too, imagine that!). Every feature works, clean interior, minimal rust, but will need some bodywork and a paintjob. Only one problem: the n/a had a hole in the block (as seen in my sig). The dad said it was from running without oil. I asked her how 5 qts dissapeared out of the engine, and she began to explain to me that she took it to Jiffy Lube...I stopped her right there. From her story, what I was able to gather was she saw them drain the oil out, and when they lowered the car down the worker (I refuse to call them techs)called the other workers over there to check out the engine. They were hovering over the engine bay when the manager walked over there. Seconds later they scattered back to work and shut the hood. So, it was my assumption that the guy working on her car forgot about the oil. She asked her boyfriend what the red light meant on the oil pressure gauge, and his reply was, "It means you need to change your oil soon." :rolleyesg She drove it for a month with that light on, and she was 20 miles from home after returning from a 300 mile trip when the engine coughed out a rod. After I tore it apart, I saw that two rods actually broke - #4 and #5, only the #5 managed to plow its exit out of the block.

holeinblock-1.jpg

Here's some pics of the n/a:

280zx1.jpg

280zx2.jpg

280zx3.jpg

280zx6.jpg

So, I bought it, trailered it to work, and swapped the L28et into the n/a shell. Since we had one tech on vacation that week, I decided to take advantage of the open lift :-)

redsoldwheels.jpg

I'm still having some wiring issues, but as a bandaid I have the fuel pump wired to a 12v switched source. Anyways, both the turbo and the n/a 280zxs were automatics, but I wanted a stick, and I had a spare T5 in the shop. I bought a 240mm flywheel and clutch assembly, slapped it all together, and couldn't find the driveshaft that came with the T5. Sooo, I took the turbo automatic driveshaft, cut the collar down to where there was approx. 1.5 inches of it left, and slid it into the transmission only to find out that the n/a had an R180 differential. So I traded some parts with a local guy for an R200 and halfshafts. Installing that was more of a pain in the butt than I had expected (hence my write-up on it in the drivetrain forum). I'll have to find another R200, though, because when I decelarate, you can watch the companion flange slide way out of the differential, and it makes a horrible whining/roaring noise.

As of now, I've installed Konig Monsoon wheels on her and drove her home. Sorry for the dark picture - better ones will be edited in later.

redsnewwheels.jpg

Future plans: I just received a BRE-type rear spoiler that I bought on eBay (same one as KTM - very nice car BTW), I should be receiving a set of tokico hp struts/springs this Wednesday. I'll be adding a front air dam, smoked headlight covers, and will repaint it with a black/red paint scheme (a little different then the current scheme). The biggest driveability issue I'm having right now is she feels very underpowered right now. I bought a boost gauge for her, and she's hitting 7 psi pretty quickly, but she just makes a lot of noise - doesn't really go anywhere. It almost seems like the cam timing is retarded, like it jumped a tooth back or something. I noticed there was some slack in the chain, so I'm going to look into that a bit further. Ignition timing is at 20* and a compression test showed 145 on all cylinders. So that's where I'm at right now. This isn't a technical post, but if anyone wants to chime in about the lack of power, feel free to.

Guest grayfox

Hey guys! First time poster, long time lurker. Here is a pic of my 81 280zx. Just rolled 46,000 original miles. As far as mods go it's mainly suspension and other little stuff like exhaust, powdercoated valve cover, and other incidentals.

2.jpg

I'm gonna start by sayin theres some beautiful S-130s in here and I hope mine will eventually reach that point.

about 4 years ago now I rescued this little gem from a local salvage yard literally while it was en'route to the crusher

ZXRMullet.jpg

after a bath she cleaned up fairly nicely

682335_4_full.jpg

Alas the wing was ripped from its perch before I could save it

682335_3_full.jpg

682335_24_full.jpg

ZXR1.jpg

682335_20_full.jpg

(some of you may have seen this picture in the back of Sport Z magazine a couple years back)

and here it is after I received what I was told was the LAST OEM ZXR wing in Nissan's inventory

ZXR2.jpg

and tearin up autoX

zxrDrift.jpg

the original motor spun bearings at 300,Xxx+ after giving me 2 years of daily driving (rebuilding said engine) it was replaced temporarily by a half built L28 out of an ex SCCA track car wich proved to be a devastatingly overpowered engine for the stock trany as I broke 2nd gear into multiple fragments at the dragstrip, I'm probably a weeks work away from having it operational again.

also its been riding on Tokico shocks and springs for the last 3 years

Guest grayfox
grayfox: Beautiful! I think I've seen this car before on another forum...zdriver? The wheels set the Z off great. Love it!

Thanks for the complement, and to everyone else for that matter! Yea you have seen it on Zdriver, but the boards here are much better. I really don't post there much.