HybridZ

Sign in if you own an s130!

007max

This is my 280ZX. It's a 1979 GL model. When I picked it up it looked pretty bad, shifted bad clutch, bad brakes,... come to find out later the stuff that was still good on the car made a very short list. I see now very few people would have rescued this car from the state it was in like I did. It had a good body, very little rust somehow. Now it has a brand new interior down to the carpet and upholstery. The engine is tuned up, all new ignition system from the switch to the plugs. Well without further ado here are the pics (none of the new interior yet but use your imagination, all clean shiny black...).

7_thumb.jpg

6_thumb.jpg

9_thumb.jpg

1_thumb.jpg

2_thumb.jpg

3_thumb.jpg

This is my project Z that I picked up for $500.00 in Fresno California November 2005. Its the first left hand S-130 Z car I have owned. I have owned several right hand Z cars in the course of the 16 years I had lived and served overseas in Japan (1989-2005). This particular Z had wiring issues, electrical system charging issues, water intrusion, an automatic transmission, tired interior, poor exterior and paint job. On the positive side, it was made in Oct of 1978, had just over 80,000 original miles, already has the 130mph speedometer and no evidence in the body or frame that it had ever had an accident. two of the enclosed pictures show the car and pictures of its engine bay a week after I picked it up and did a quick exterior cleaning. Since then I have invested lots of time and effort in this old gal converting it to a home built 280ZX turbo. Today I am awaiting a few more parts to complete the 5-speed conversion and fuel injection conversion to blow through Demon 4-barrel carburator. The pictures enclosed show the stock fuel injection utilized for the turbo conversion (temporary). The final product will also utilize a Paxton Novi 1000 supercharger to boost it on the low end and the T04e to boost it on the higher end. I recently installed another engine utilizing P90 head, ARP head bolts, nismo steel head gasket, bosch boost rising fuel pressure regulator, a/f ratio, Exh temp and boost gages to monitor engine behavior. Having a few issues with wiring the msd universal boost timing master PN: 5462 (no spark to the plugs) so its mounted but not connected. A work in progress that I work on when I'm not serving in the Persian Gulf or other places on deployment keeping the fighter jets running strong. I'm glad to see a forum for S-130 280zx enthusiests I believe we can learn a lot from each other's experiences. I hope the pictures I am trying to enclose post. Still getting used to the in's and outs and familiarization to this website.

5-speed conversion done, installed better and lighter seats. Finally have all the parts and mocked them up on the engine and they fit with some modifications to the TO4e internal wastegate bracket mounting. Looking forward to a test fire, tune, drive, tune, drive, tune until the bugs are worked out of the Demon blow through carb turbo set up. Looking to do a test run at Top Gun raceway in Fallon to see what she will do on October 17th if all goes well....

16845_thumb.attach

16846_thumb.attach

16847_thumb.attach

16848_thumb.attach

16849_thumb.attach

I have the exact same car. What paint manufacture was it, do you have the numbers for the paint too?? How close of a exact match was it? I am currently in the process of swapping the automatic with my other z's 5 speed. Expect to have that done this month.

I'll have to check with my bodyshop guy for the paint code I'm not sure which one it was. All the materials were Dupont. The match is pretty good. He sprayed the jambs and hatch so the only spot thats still original is the engine compartment. I'll try to snap a couple of shots of it. Good luck with the swap. I toyed with it but with the low miles on mine a didn't want risk it so I decided to build a 77 280 and swap in a turbo engine.

hello all!

Seeing as I'm new to this forum and this was one of the first threads I came across, I figured I'd introduce myself here. I'm the proud owner of a (currently) non-road worthy 1980 280zx 2+2. It's got a 5 speed with pretty much everything bone stock right now. I'm just diving into the work after scoring her for $200 bucks with a *supposedly* bad fuel pump. I put some gas in her, kicked it a few times, and she started right up. So I parked it till a more fitting time (like now) to start working on her. Enough of this rant, here's some pics!

~280zx80

ladyjane1_thumb.jpg

ladyjane2_thumb.jpg

ladyjaneint1_thumb.jpg

Hello im 18 I just thought I would finally join this site since ive been looking on it for sometime. I have a 1980 280zx with 123000 miles I bought in april of 09 and I only paid 300 dollars for it and heres the before and after pic just with a lil washing and waxing. it sat around at my house for some time til I finally found out what was wrong with it and it turned out to be the ECU was fried.

100_0415.jpg

100_0418.jpg

100_0442.jpg

100_0443.jpg

Hello im 18 I just thought I would finally join this site since ive been looking on it for sometime. I have a 1980 280zx with 123000 miles I bought in april of 09 and I only paid 300 dollars for it and heres the before and after pic just with a lil washing and waxing. it sat around at my house for some time til I finally found out what was wrong with it and it turned out to be the ECU was fried.

abc,

Damn, that is like night and day. Come down to Beaches at PIR this Wednesday, I have to check our your ZX.

We have a NorthwestZ.org meeting 1st Wednesdays of the month at the Golden Touch Resturaunt on Barbur blvd in SW Portland.

All these z owners coming out of the woodworks in PDX. Awesome!

Really? that would be really cool ive looked for z clubs here in the northwest for the longest time and have never had any kind of luck im leterally 10 minutes away if that from that resurant. and I have yet to run it and do you mean as in tomorrow?. I have a couple other buddies with them too. and ya the car is very solid minus the hatch it just needs the rust taken out of it, it sat outside with the hatch window sprayer off so water got into it but very restorable.

Edited by abc_was_here
adding

Sweet. There is also Ratsun.net where they are mostly 510 / truck guys, but there are a few of us S30 / S130 people on there.

We started up our weekly PDX Ratsun meets in Beaverton again. It's really cool, come check it out. Skib (Rob) and Z_Rac3r (Megan) are about your age too.

I've got a '79 280zx.

I've become quite attached to my s130.

I got her earlier this year from the original owners who let it sit for about 15 years after it suddenly died one day.

After a lot of diagnosing and wrenching I got her to breathe once again just a few days ago!

I'll try to post some pics up here soon!