HybridZ

Will r200 live with turbo V8 and auto tranny?

lesd

I was thinking that even a non CV r200 would be OK as long as the 'slack' is taken up with an auto transmission. But would it take the shock of full throttle 2nd to 3rd shifts ?

What's it like having a U joint seperate at 80 mph? It could be rather dangerous I would imagine, with a shaft flapping around, etc !

I have only broken 1 U-joint halfshaft since I've owned my Z and it was not a fun experience, basically the whole car pulled hard to the right and I started hearing a KA-THUNK,KA-THUNK,KA-THUNK,KA-THUNK every second or so luckily I wasn't going but 20 or so but it still sucked and beat the tar out of the floorpan, granted mine was due to it being old and tired but I wouldn't chance it with a turbo V8 even with an auto source a Q45 R200 those are an LSD anyway IIRC and their cheap.

That situation, pulling to the right , ( due to a locked wheel ? ) is what I'm scared of.

I get this horrible vision of that happening at high speed, the car veers off the road, flips several times, etc.

I'm getting conflicting info on the r230. I read that the Q45 has an r200, then I read that it is a good source for the r230. If I go searching the local wreckers, what would be my best target car?

Other than the parts from Modern and mounting structure, what else do I need to replace my R200 with the r230?

Thanks guys!

-Les

I have only broken 1 U-joint halfshaft since I've owned my Z and it was not a fun experience, basically the whole car pulled hard to the right and I started hearing a KA-THUNK,KA-THUNK,KA-THUNK,KA-THUNK every second or so luckily I wasn't going but 20 or so but it still sucked and beat the tar out of the floorpan, granted mine was due to it being old and tired but I wouldn't chance it with a turbo V8 even with an auto source a Q45 R200 those are an LSD anyway IIRC and their cheap.

• Administrators

I have also heard that the Q came with the R-230, though I’m not sure what years or models. I do know that the ’96 model year Q-45 has the R-200-V. My ’96 Q-45 has the R-200 V and according to my factory Infiniti Q-45 service manual, all ’96 Q’s have the same R-200-V.