HybridZ

240z, 260z or 280z, chassis/body differences

70-73 240z had 16mm front sway bars, 74 had 18mm front 20mm rear (weird) All 2+2's had 20mm front and rear

IF you want to put a rear sway bar in a 240z only a 260 bar will fit, Its got an extra bend in the middle. Did it...

73 got a vapor tank, collapsible steering wheel and non flammable interior!! yay! and 240z also have 3 different choke nobbs

sometime between 74 and 75 there was a change from a 45amp gauge + shunt as an all in one, to a 60amp gauge and big box in the engine bay

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've noticed that some of the later Z models (260 and 280) have physical body lines, and some don't. Do they all have them and some people just take them off? I don't usually post because the answer's always somewhere in these forums, but I still haven't seen a definitive answer on this...

post-10815-12687233770229_thumb.jpg

I want to fit a roll cage to my 280z, i rang a company and got a good price but they said its for the 240z not the 280z. Surely if it fits the 240 it will fit the 280 right?

Why will no one answer this question?

• 3 weeks later...

I've noticed that some of the later Z models (260 and 280) have physical body lines, and some don't. Do they all have them and some people just take them off? I don't usually post because the answer's always somewhere in these forums, but I still haven't seen a definitive answer on this...

That is a dealer/aftermarket installed accessory, mostly so the dealer could make a bigger profit by loading up the car.

I personaly don't like them. :angry:

Edited by jasper

Why will no one answer this question?

There are interior differences between the 240 and 280 that could make a cage model specific.  For example, the 280Z strut towers are taller in the hatch area.  77 and 78 280Z's have a raised full wooden deck under the hatch carpeting.

Edited by cygnusx1

Here's a question to add:

Why is it that the 280 weighs SO much more? Is it more than just the bumpers? Beefier frame??

Heavier sheet metal in many places, bigger dash, sound insulation, more wiring, thicker carpeting, larger frame rails, thicker interior plastic panels, more parts, bumpers, exhaust, EFI, steering rack is iron, and more...

Did anyone mention that the 240Z has a quicker steering ratio in the rack? (yes Paul did!)  I feel a huge difference between the two.

Edited by cygnusx1

• 3 weeks later...

I thought the only weight difference from the 240z,260z and the 280z was that most of the weight difference came from the heaver front and rear bumbers that were alot bigger on the 280 compared to the 240 and 260?

• 4 weeks later...

I thought the only weight difference from the 240z,260z and the 280z was that most of the weight difference came from the heaver front and rear bumbers that were alot bigger on the 280 compared to the 240 and 260?

I'm not sure what you are asking here or are you just thinking out-loud?

If your question is indeed a question, it was answered in this thread already, starting on page 1. :blink:

If commenting for the sake of commenting with a rhetorical question that serves no point, I don't understand? :unsure:

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Is it possible to fit an earlier bumper/indicators to a Late 260Z? I don't like the indicators in the centre, I want them under the headlights like on the earlier models so I'd like to know if I can change this.

From this look:

datsun-260z-coupe-1890925015-640x480.jpg

To This:

wats071.jpg

• 11 months later...

Nope, it's impossible. Never been done.

....aww come on, I had to. :-P

Yes it can be done, but will require some grinding on the chassis to make things fit nicely, and if I recall correctly might require making some custom brackets. The main issue is that the front nose area of the chassis itself was changed, not just the bumper design and such. They added serious reinforcement to hold that heavy bumper way out there, and in the process made changes that make it difficult to just slap a 240Z bumper and lights on there.

But yes, it's definitely doable. There's hundreds, if not thousands of people that have done it.

• 1 year later...

The 280 is undoubtedly heavier. If you strip the car down just to the shell (as I have) I think you will find that it is still heavier for the reasons listed above (longer frame rails, thicker metal, reinforced firewall at pedals, etc.). If you run a track car, I would assert that most of that (marginal) weight difference is in things that are an advantage. The balance of the weight difference is in powertrain (EFI, etc.), bumpers (most remove them), etc. If you are going to have a bone stock car, you probably don't worry about the weight. Otherwise most of the weight can be either removed or components can be substituted for lighter versions (steering rack). The 280 shell can easily be lifted by three guys. One of the only big issues I have had is the doors themselves are heavily reinforced. If you cage it, it'd be good to strip them down.

Edited by WizardBlack

Wizard, ever had a chance to compare early 280Z to late 280Z doors? After gutting the windows mine are pretty damn light, even though they do have a pretty serious reinforcement channel that runs the length. It's just interesting how we get obsessed with little details that then lead to blanket statements. 

Even as you said, a bare 280Z chassis can easily be moved around by three people. I'd venture to guess it's somewhere around 500-650 lbs or so, possible even under 500. I know I can shimmy around a S130 bare chassis by myself if I don't mind scratching the car or ground... So what's the big deal? We're talking about weight differences on a portion of the car that's roughly somewhere between 1/3 to 1/4 of the total weight depending on what trim you're running from full street to full race.

And in the case of the doors, the weight of the glass and crank arm mechanism are a much larger difference then I could see any difference between years being. Maybe I'm wrong, but again, it's getting overly concerned about something that's 1. Not unchangeable, and 2. Not a huge percentage of overall weight.

Like engine weights, car weights can be largely subjective to what trim it's in, and what requirements there are. I hope to get my '75 down as close to 2200 lbs as I can, and I'm betting I'm probably within 150lbs now, and I'm still running a steel hood...

• 1 month later...

The doors changed from flat to slightly swoopy in 73. i'm referring to the top of the door were the window trim rests. So i imagine the theres a slight difference in the body to match as well. 

• 2 months later...

The strut tubes on 280s are larger diameter, thicker material and also longer in the rear.  It always amazes me how much the bumpers, rubber bits,filler trim, bumper shocks and fluid, brackets, and all the bolts weight, on the big park bench bumper system.