HybridZ

My Complete LS1 Install Documemtation with Pics

Guest Grenade300

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey Grenade 300,

I noticed that you had used a fuel cell with your conversion. Was this a Summit Racing unit? What model? Also you mentioned a EZ Wire harness kit. Can you provide a little direction there also. Thanks for all the help you have already provided.

Guest Grenade300

I cannot provide too much info on the wiring harness. There is too much info for me to convey in a post (at the risk of sounding like a snobby jerk).

I don't have tha part number off hand (middle of moving to Germany right now) but I used the 16 gal polyureuothane fuel cell from Summit Racing... I do not recommend this unit because the fuel runs away from the pick-up under hard braking with less than 1/3 tank. If I had to do it again; I would use a tank without a sump and weld my own sump on with 3 small holes drilled between the tank and sump to prevent the fuel from running away from the pick-up.

Hey,

Thanks for the reply. I plan to begin my conversion in the month of

October. The more I read it seems that most coversions are leaning towards the sump idea. This is my frist Z car, so everything is new territory. Good luck with your move and take care.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

I was the lucky one that purchased Grenade300's car before he headed out to Germany. I have ton's of pics from his conversion work and can take new ones if there is something you need to see from a different angle. Grenade is still the knowledge source as I just got the car, but I may be able to help as well. The John's Cars kit used to install the motor and tranny where developed on my Dad's car (Phantom) several years ago, so I do know a bit about this.

The install work and parts on this car are phenominal, but as Grenade said the fuel cell is an issue and the pump is LOUD! I have a solution I am working on for the tank and will post the info on it once complete. There is a trap door set up that can be worked in around the sump to prevent run off and if you have an aluminum tank you can have walls welded in accross the tank forming a grid pattern through it with holes at the bottom of each section to allow flow through, but prevent sloshing. No fuel sloshing = a less abrupt weight shift in cornering/braking and would limit the fuel from running away from the sump.

I started a photobucket that I will start posting pics at. Just let me know if there is anything you want posted and I will try to assist.

http://photobucket.com/DarthZ

I notice a lot of discussion about fuel cells and I question the need - especially on the 280Z conversions. My car is running it's original tank and a single electric pump in the same location as the original one. The only time I've seen any starvation problems with it was when I had less than 1/8th tank and was going through some of the tight infield curves at Texas Motor Speedway. It also allows me to not worry about or smell fuel leaks/smells inside the car. I realize it means having to route the passenger side exhaust over to the drivers side but that also worked out well in my car.

• 4 weeks later...
wow man good info, what year ls1 did you use, what was the donor car, read the whole document, i think i missed it. would it be pretty much the same for like a pontiac gto engine?

I bought the car from Grenade300 and I am not sure how much he is still in the Z scene since he just went to Germany. Scott, let me know if it seems like:hijack: to you.

The motor and tranny are out of a 2002 Camaro SS. Yes a GTO engine would be about the same. Make sure you buy from a reputable source and the engine comes with the original wiring harness and ECU.

• 2 weeks later...

I added some pictures of the tunnel area's that needed modifying to the document. The pictures were absent from the original document.

I am also in the process of adding the wiring changes that I am doing to the LS1 wiring harness. This way with pictures it might make it easier for others.

http://www.4moores.com/280z/files/JCI Install Update 2.doc

http://www.4moores.com/280z/files

• 3 months later...

Great info man I have been looking for a post like this one!!! but I got a question did you buy the whole donor car or did you just buy the motor,trans and radiator pulled out all ready to go for you?? If so what else did you use external to these main parts??

Edited by kenwood guy

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...