HybridZ

Rota RB/RB-R, 4x114.3, 17", Z-Offset Wheels

rudypoochris

What would you prefer?  

191 members have voted

1. 1. What would you prefer?

• 17x9.5" -19 On all four corners (as the group buy has been)
    • 17x9" -13 Front and 17x9.5" -19 Rear even if it costs an extra $200 ($950 shipped)
    • 17x9" -13 Front and 17x9.5" -19 Rear at the same price ($750 shipped)

Though they'd "look" better with a slightly rolled lip, I don't think there's a clearence issue. I jumped on the bumpers and there's was enough camber gain to get the tire inside the lip. I'd only be worried about possible rubbing if the car was supper low (like more than 2" lower than stock).

Front tires were 255, rears were 275.

If you just got the 9" rims all the way around they'd look perfectly balanced.

I'm still kinda amazed, because the stock rims and tires seemed to fill the same space pretty well and didn't seem like they left a lot of room for wider tires...

If someone made an aftermarket lower control arm for these cars, you could gain quite a bit of clearence there. I could fit my entire fist between the tire and the strut, but there was about 2 fingers of gap between the tire and the control arm. I have no doubt that with the right offset you could fit 275 with zero possible problems, but I'd guess that with a custom control arm 305 might fit under the stock wheel well, and with a stock shock at that.

Are these wheels avaliable with this offset only in 17X9?

Which offset? There are two wheel sizes in two styles. The sizes are:

17x9" -13 front

17x9.5" -19 rear

The two styles are the RB (as pictured on the 280zx and way back in this thread on a 280z) and the up and coming RB-R which will have a slightly different spoke design. The RB's are available for order NOW. The RB-R's will be available for order any day now depending on how testing goes at the factory.

So, to answer what I think your question is. Yes, you can order a set of just four 17x9's -13 if you like. Or you can order a set of four 17x9.5" -19 if you like. It is up to you. The configuration we tested was 9" front and 9.5" rear, 9" all around should be no problem. 9.5" front would possibly require a little trimming/fitting/rolling, I honestly haven't tried it. What you cannot do is order a 9.5" in -13 though since this requires completely new molds. Hope that helps!

If you are just wondering the sizes that Rota RB's come in, in 17" there is a 7.5" and an 8.5" as well. I don't think the 8.5" or 7.5" are offered with an offset below +4. Not sure if the 7.5" is even offered with the +4, you would have to ask.

wow they fit really well on a 280zx, where can I sign up for these wheels?

PM me your email address and I will send you the information. :)

Please do explain? You ordered your wheels, told him the color, size, and what not that you would like. And then? He just didn't order them? We are talking about the 17x9 or 17x9.5 correct?

yeah.. i ordered a set of RB 17X9.5 (4) in royal black, with polished lip.. he's been giving me an eta out a month (every month:rolleyesg).. the final eta was this month, and now he is telling me, that he only has flat black and gunmetal. the royal black with take another 4-8 weeks.. not to happy about that. He just replied with the eta. No explination or anything. I haven't been a hard ass about the wait or the constant movement of eta's, mostly because my car isnt in condition to even use the wheels yet, but going back and forth with this is becoming a headache. I just want to fill out an order, pay for em, and have them shipped to me.

at this point, i may just do that.. they had a wheel to my liking already..I was told that I could order them a certain way, i was told they'd be ready in june, now I"m told, after the fact, that i have to wait 2 more months for what I ordered. I would have like to have been told what was available upfront. Its not the end of the world, but a little bit of customer service would have been greatly appreciated here. After all this, i'm just hoping I actually GET my wheels after i send payment.

I agree. Fortunately for some reason I seem to be able to 'decode' what Kim says a bit better than most. I shouldn't have to do this, but unfortunately there is no such thing as a free, or in this case cheap, lunch.

I just spoke with the representative. Basically he has RB's in RGM w/ polished lip and flat black. In his warehouse now, he can ship them out within two days or so (Yes you can switch color orders now). The availability of other colors right now for the RB's is a bit iffy. If you do order another color, you may very well end up waiting weeks to get it. This is due to a combination of manufacturing minimums as well as the launch of the up and coming RB-R which Kim believes will be, "[a] much better [wheel]". Basically the representative realizes he is going to be in deep doo doo if he orders a minimum of say 5 sets each in 7 different colors only to have 1 set of each sell. At the end of the day though, that really should not be our problem. The rep SHOULD of said, only these two colors will be available until further notice. Alas he didn't say that and we are where we are now. If I could run the entire thing from manufacturing to distribution, believe me I would and I would do it different. I can't though unfortunately and this being my first group buy, I am mainly just wising up to the depentability and time estimates I get from above. :-(

For those of you who are indeed time constrained and want the RB's in a different color I SUGGEST you attempt to pay with money order as apparently that has knocked the price down to $700 shipped for some, then get them painted or powder coated whatever color you please. This is not ideal, this is not perfect, and it is not what you all were told you would get. That is unfortunate, but beyond that there really isn't much I can do. I am sorry. :(

As for the RB-R's. I have been told that a pair of samples shall be arriving at the warehouse hopefully by the end of the month, maybe a week later (we all know by now though that this could very well drag a week or so). We have an option here. Wait it out for the samples, or tell them to go straight to production. I am inclined to see the samples first, just to make sure there isn't something drastically wrong with them. Thoughts on this?

I hope this helps alleviate some of the issues. I realize fully that conditions are not ideal and not what people necessarily expected. Time delays are not good. On the flip side, a lot IS being done. Molds are being made, wheels have been shipped, etc. etc. At least there is communication happening between manufacturing, distribution, me, and ultimately you all. Do not worry about wheels not showing up, money taken, etc. etc. That simply is not going to happen under my watch by any stretch of the imagination. For now though, if you want these wheels unfortunately your going to have to suck it up a bit, as this is what it takes with this manufacturer and this representative. It has been almost, if not already, a year now. I think we are close and around the last hurdles, that does not make it any easier or less frustrating, I know, but hopefully when the wheels DO come you all will appreciate them. :)

well, Kim emailed me, and said the factory decided to make my Royal Black wheels in the RBR style.. they figured those would be more popular.. but I honestly prefer the RBR over the RB.. he said he would notify me when they were done.

Rudy...

You have a future in sales management.

Keep up the good work man. THANKS!!!!

Thank you. :)

well, Kim emailed me, and said the factory decided to make my Royal Black wheels in the RBR style.. they figured those would be more popular.. but I honestly prefer the RBR over the RB.. he said he would notify me when they were done.

As long is that is what you wanted then that is perfect. If it is not what you wanted to have happen, let me know. I also believe the RB-R will be a superior wheel aesthetically, and hopefully a smidgen lighter (can always hope, right?). I will be calling the representative tomorrow just to keep on top of things and see where we are at. :)

could you ask him what if anything happened to mine...and if/when i will get them 9front 9.5back bronze with polished lip...thanks

I suppose so. PM me the name you used to contact him with. Additionally where did you guys leave it, did you call back after you hung up on him? Did you give him any money or payment information? Thanks.

To update you all and answer a couple of questions:

1. The representative has both RGM and flat black RB's ready to ship from California. The RGM supplies are starting to run a little low though.

2. Colors other than RGM and flat black for the RB's are not available at this time. If you wish to wait it out, by all means you can, but he needs to place a minimum order of 10 sets per color, thus making it difficult to obtain any color in the RB with the up and coming RB-R looming over head. For those wanting other colors, the RB-R's should be available in quite a bit more choices; including bronze.

3. Shipping to Australia ($200 extra) is by air.

4. I have been told, the sample wheels should be shipping out this week and in to California within the next 2 weeks.

Hope that answers any inquiries! Feel free to PM me with additional questions. :)

So now everyone is moving on to a different style than what this GB was started on and there's a new rule of TEN set minimum to get a particular color???

Translation: My time was wasted and I'll evidently have to look elsewhere. GG Rota. :icon56:

The original intent of the group buy was to obtain a wheel in 17x9.5" that looked like a Watanabe R-Type and duplicated it as much as possible. The RB looks like a Panasport, not the R-Type. I was originally unaware that there was a difference between the RB and the RB-R style. I am sorry in that regard.

In all honesty, if the RB's did not fit right out of the box, most likely they would of been dropped for the RB-R styling entirely. Fortunately the molds were made and they fit. The few that prefer the RB's could thus order them. I am sorry it is a 10 order minimum per color on the RB. It is not that way on the RB-R fortunately as the representative is willing to suck up the expense of ordering multiple sets with only a certain number of confirmed buyers. It has always been a 10 order minimum to have them made at the factory, the only difference is where the representative is willing to stick his own neck out. Unfortunately he does not feel like the RB's are the right place to do it with the up and coming RB-R's. I can't blame him in all honesty. He has ordered 20 sets of the RB and would probably want to have moved at least 75% of those before ordering any more colors. This hasn't happened as the demand simply isn't there. The RB-R he has more confidence in.

I am sorry you have to look elsewhere and your time was wasted. If you are still interested in ordering RB's I suggest as a possibility saving $50 by paying money order, then having them powder coated or painted locally. I realize this costs more. Look elsewhere for wheels by all means, but if you realize it is still more economical and easier to go this route, we would love to have you. :)

I'm stoked. The wheels did come with center cap. (although I think they look cheezy) I was impressed with the overall quality of the wheels. The only thing I can complain about is that you can see that they didn't paint 100% of the wheels like all inside the lug holes. Nothing major though. I'm using Tuner style lugnuts even though I didnt have to because they did in fact bore the lug holes larger.

I'm also using 255/40/17 all around and they fit perfectly straight on the front and a tiny bit stretched on the rear. I had to trim my front valence a bit and fender but then again my wheel is pretty far forward ( +6 or higher caster). Surprisingly, that's all that rubbed for me. However, keep in mind that my suspension isn't stock and i'm able to move everything around a bit.

I still have to adjust a million things but i'll have more pictures if you guys want.

They look fantastic. I am very happy you like the look, sorry about the paint in the lug holes. Hmmm. I feel historically that the center caps from Rota are cheesy looking as well. I think I will end up seeing if I can machine my own or something, but that might come out worse. :P

So 9.5" won't fit in the front, correct? Is it limited by flares, or something else. (sorry if this is addressed earlier)

It SHOULD fit the front if you have removed the lower valance and are running an air damn that flows down and to the front (like the Xenon). Just barely it should fit. Might take a little 'finaggling' to get it to fit though in some cases. A lot of this depends on the settings of the suspension as well (caster, stiffness, ride height, etc.).

You could do a mild flare on the rear and fit the 17x9 just as easily as a 17x9.5" as the back spacing is identical. You will need spacers for the front 17x8.5" +4 though. As for exactly how far it will stick out. Well .5" less than EMWHYR0HEN's and the 17x9.5" rear, but beyond that I personally don't have the exact measurement. Maybe EMWHYR0HEN can chime in.