HybridZ

Rota RB/RB-R, 4x114.3, 17", Z-Offset Wheels

rudypoochris

What would you prefer?  

191 members have voted

1. 1. What would you prefer?

• 17x9.5" -19 On all four corners (as the group buy has been)
    • 17x9" -13 Front and 17x9.5" -19 Rear even if it costs an extra $200 ($950 shipped)
    • 17x9" -13 Front and 17x9.5" -19 Rear at the same price ($750 shipped)

I thought I would post pics of these 8.5's since there has been many questions regarding fitment of various sizes. Chris, I hope you don't mind since they aren't the group buy size, but I maybe it will help answer some of the questions.

If you notice the lip is about the same size if not exactly the same size, but the spokes are curved. Kim calls these a rbr on the site, but they are definitely the curved spoke like the rb. These wheels will fit without any fender cutting or rolling as long as you stay under a 235 tire. I am running the 245 and I had to trim a lot off the rear lip and the front is very tight on the strut with a little modification needed.

The pics are showing the fit with 235 tires, so it actually got a little tighter with my 245's. The front strut perch was hammered flat on the tire side to gain a 1/4", so the spacing actually remained the same for the tire sizes. I hope this helps answer some questions.

11094_thumb.attach

front strut_thumb.jpg

rear strut_thumb.jpg

Guest coyboy510
I thought I would post pics of these 8.5's since there has been many questions regarding fitment of various sizes. Chris, I hope you don't mind since they aren't the group buy size, but I maybe it will help answer some of the questions.

If you notice the lip is about the same size if not exactly the same size, but the spokes are curved. Kim calls these a rbr on the site, but they are definitely the curved spoke like the rb. These wheels will fit without any fender cutting or rolling as long as you stay under a 235 tire. I am running the 245 and I had to trim a lot off the rear lip and the front is very tight on the strut with a little modification needed.

The pics are showing the fit with 235 tires, so it actually got a little tighter with my 245's. The front strut perch was hammered flat on the tire side to gain a 1/4", so the spacing actually remained the same for the tire sizes. I hope this helps answer some questions.

Glad to see that the 8.5J wheels clear the strut assemblies. Can you post images of the Fender clearance as well? I am thinking of getting a set for my Z with stock fenders.

So, just to follow up on my order, I finally received my second set of 17x9.5 blk wheels. However, UPS didn't deliver 1 of the remaining 4 boxes un till 4 days after due to snow up here in WA. Needless to say, I was nervous about the wait but it finally came through. Im glad I didn't panic and ping Kim.

• 2 weeks later...

It isn't so much a 'group buy' anymore. The wheels are simply available now. Order them if you want them. I do not know how long they will be available for. That is anyones best guess.

As dsommer mentioned though... as long as there is a significant demand there shall naturally be a supply.

• 2 weeks later...

Appears that the wheels are now avaliable on Rota's website. Might be close to time to lock this thread?

Many thanks to Rudypoochris for his tremendous effort putting this whole GB together. My hat's off to you bud, two sets of wheels change of runs, productiion changes, working with Kim, the communicatioins, the fitment tests... All that you have done, THANKYOU!!!!!!!!!!!

PM me and I'll swing a few paypal dollars your way as promised, everybody else that benefited from this, I ask that you do the same for this young mans tireless efforts.

Thanks again,

David

I agree 100% about the comments regarding rudypoo's effort in this group buy. I had two cars test fitted with rims (once of which with two sets) and Chris was very good about working around my schedule and still getting it DONE. On one occasion I actually had to just give him the keys to my car and he test fit the rims himself because I wasn't available.

But regarding the thread being closed, I think we should wait until we hear that Kim isn't giving HybridZ members a discount. As long as we're getting a special price of sorts, this thread should remain open.

• 3 weeks later...

hahah im in the same boat just waiting on my tax return. Im sure its been covered but there are way to many pages to lookover so i emailed Kim the north american distributor. he told me this-

"Hi Matt,

That will only for our group buy only, we do not sell on the market yet. I can put you on the list.

Our mail order price.

$ 750 for credit card / paypall.

$ 700 Money order.

Let me know what color.

Kim"

• 2 weeks later...
Guest eighties
NewImage2.jpg

Can anyone measure the Rota decal on the centercap surface? I want to make some customize stickers/decal to go in place when I get my wheels.

okay, i read through the thread and couldnt find what i was looking for. I email Kim about order wheels (though im #5 on the original list, ive been deployed so im just not getting to order). Anyway, when i emailed him, i got a response saying i could send paypal to cherry@curesure.com now, this seems weird since when you go to curesure its some weirdass home remedy site. whats the deal?

I did not know until recently that Kim was accepting paypal. I have been told though by another group buyer who talked over the phone with Kim that that indeed IS the correct email address for paypal. It does seem strange and unprofessional, but apparently that is it.

Going off memory the front RB-R's have a 2.5" lip, the rear 3" the RB's have a 3" lip all around. In reality the RB-R's appear to have more lip than the RB's due to the spoke design.

As far as wondering how long the 'group buy' will go on. The group buy is basically over, but these wheels are in production, you can order them with out the necessity of a 'group' purchase. I do not know how long the price of the wheels will stay the same though. So far I still believe a set of four is only $700 including shipping if one pays with a postal MO. This is a steal in my opinion. Hope that helps!

Lastly, sorry guys for not being so easily accessible... My PM box just went full since my 1 year donating subscription expired... I have been having a real tough time with Mechanical Engineering in college and basically just need to devote 24/7 to that right now. I have fixed my PM box and will continue to reply to the more important questions in this thread. Thanks to everyone else for covering my behind on the little questions. It is greatly appreciated!

-Chris

Guest primovera

not trying to make any problems but when i emailed rota i recieved no response and my many attempts to contact them did not work so I felt maybe i wasn't alone in my search and frustration. Don't care where or who you get them from or even if you do just wanted to help others. good luck and try to have fun with your rides

• 1 month later...
So I think I'm going to pull the trigger on these. However, I cant figure out the difference between the RB and the RBR. Been looking at pics and reading descriptions in this thread and even asked Kim but still it does not stand out to me. Anyone have a good side-by-side or clear description w/ pics. I wanted flat black but they only have RB where if RBRs are that much better I'ld have to go with Gunmetal, black , silver, gold or bronze. Did anyone ever determine if the RBRs were lighter like the earlier speculation?

Thanks

Cameron

I think the only difference between RB and RBR is that the RBR's are staggered. 9(-13offset) up front and 9.5(-19 offset) in the back. RB's are same width on all 4 corners.

RB has the spokes curve from the hub outward then back to the center line again. RB-R has the spokes radiating straight out. They look very similar. But I know a lot of us prefer the RB-R look a little more.

RB:

11LoadedGap.jpg

RB-R:

c-4.jpg

That information is on page 22 post #433... It would be easier to just look at it here though. I do not know what size or offsets the wheels in this picture are, but the RB-R is ont he right and the RB on the left. RB-R has sunken in spokes. RB has spokes that curve out a bit then go back in.

Differance.jpg