HybridZ

Rota RB/RB-R, 4x114.3, 17", Z-Offset Wheels

rudypoochris

What would you prefer?  

191 members have voted

1. 1. What would you prefer?

• 17x9.5" -19 On all four corners (as the group buy has been)
    • 17x9" -13 Front and 17x9.5" -19 Rear even if it costs an extra $200 ($950 shipped)
    • 17x9" -13 Front and 17x9.5" -19 Rear at the same price ($750 shipped)

This is my follow up post, as I had posted my discontent with contact and professionalism on the part of Kim @ Rota. I have received my wheels, and am more than impressed with the product, and its packaging. I have spent more than 4.5 times the amount on 22" rims and have never received them with the fronts shrunk wrapped and a fabric hairnet stretched over for added lip protection, simply...appreciated.

As for the lack of communication, to some degree, my fault as 2 of my emails asking for confirmation were sent to the address that I sent paypal payment (cherrycure@whatever) He obviously doesn't use it??

That leaves an email and a phone message unresponded to?

Not acceptable as per my standards of doing business. period.

Is the product worth the money, absolutely.

If there was another source, and they were $850, and answered emails promptly, answered emailed inquiries after 4 days completely, I would give them my money over Kim....hands down.

Maybe just me...price isn't everything.

My last email described my failed attempts at hearing from him, made comments to the point of answering emails promptly would result in reduced email amounts, and my response after 9 days was that of.....

Here is your tracking number

So, your money your choice.

My opinion is that of; product thumbs up, service thumbs down

---> Edited because I am an idiot

Oh and Sparks, you are right there is a 4 day lag when sending emails to Canada, so don't use my experience as relevant feedback :) Nice ride for an American

The wheel width is not measured to the outermost edge of the wheel, AFAIK, but rather to the point the tyre is mounting, as indicated here:

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=95

I believe the generally accepted difference is ~1 inch, so:

Fact....a 17x9 with 4.5" bs would be an offset of 0, not -13

Is not so much a fact as seemingly incorrect.

17x9 measured = 17x10 physical width. Meaning 5" is centreline, -4.5" back spacing = 12.5 (13)mm offset.

Dave

The wheel width is not measured to the outermost edge of the wheel, AFAIK, but rather to the point the tyre is mounting, as indicated here:

17x9 measured = 17x10 physical width. Meaning 5" is centreline, -4.5" back spacing = 12.5 (13)mm offset.

Dave

Right on. Here's a chart to help out.

tech-wheeloffset.gif

IMDSLY1's one post wonder demonstrated a fundamental misunderstanding of wheel measurements. :ass:

This is my follow up post, as I had posted my discontent with contact and professionalism on the part of Kim @ Rota. I have received my wheels, and am more than impressed with the product, and its packaging. I have spent more than 4.5 times the amount on 22" rims and have never received them with the fronts shrunk wrapped and a fabric hairnet stretched over for added lip protection, simply...appreciated.

As for the lack of communication, to some degree, my fault as 2 of my emails asking for confirmation were sent to the address that I sent paypal payment (cherrycure@whatever) He obviously doesn't use it??

That leaves an email and a phone message unresponded to?

Not acceptable as per my standards of doing business. period.

Is the product worth the money, absolutely.

If there was another source, and they were $850, and answered emails promptly, answered emailed inquiries after 4 days completely, I would give them my money over Kim....hands down.

Maybe just me...price isn't everything.

My last email described my failed attempts at hearing from him, made comments to the point of answering emails promptly would result in reduced email amounts, and my response after 9 days was that of.....

Here is your tracking number

So, your money your choice.

My opinion is that of; product thumbs up, service thumbs down

Wrong....the rims are 4" of back spacing both front and back. You are correct in stating that they are the same backspacing. I have to clarify for a few people that do not understand backspacing, or offsets on rims. I have heard everything from; "all that matters is that the rim has 4.5" of bs and it will fit" NOT TRUE would a 17x11 with 4.5" bs fit? NO

would a 16x7.5 with 4.5" bs fit? sure, but they will be pushed an inch inside the fender lips.

Fact....a 17x9 with 4.5" bs would be an offset of 0, not -13

offset is the measurement of difference off of dead centre, meaning that a + offset advances the mounting face towards the outside of the rim. higher positive (+) offset equals less lip and sending more rim inward on the vehicle. negative (-) offset increases lip and sends the rim outwards on the car.

There are good websites that will help you determine correct offsets for preferred fitment. It helps when you have decided that a 16x8 with 0 offset fits how you like at the fenders and you are entertaining a set of 17x9's that the offset would change to +13 to maintain the same placement at fenders and push the extra inch inward(provided you have the clearance) Pictures showing how this changes placement helps!!

Oh and Sparks, you are right there is a 4 day lag when sending emails to Canada, so don't use my experience as relevant feedback :) Nice ride for an American

Dave

Your statements are correct, sorry, I am an idiot

The rim also has 9.5" of backspacing if placed on top of beer cans and measured to the floor :)

So, I'm reading all of this and getting most of it, but still scratching my head as I don't know exactly what size option would fit my subtle z kit. As I stated, the subtle z offers 1.5" flare more than stock, and if I can recall correctly, the zg is 2.5" over stock. I have ground control/10" Hypercoils and am hoping for the widest rim to fit without having to really stretch a tire. I guess if worst comes to worst maybe I could (convince/compensate for time, energy) a local hybridz member to let me fit a 17"x9-13, and 17X8.5+4 to see in person.

From my first hand experience fitting these rims, even the ZG are a tight fit unless you do it perfectly. Ideally you'll be lowering the car an inch, allowing you to raise the flare up a bit, pushing it outward giving it more clearance.

If you mount the ZG flare too low, then you're still gonna rub. Nothing an almighty hammer can't fix though.

With the 9" in the back everything changes though. 9" is much easier to fit, and although wouldn't fit under the stock wheel well, it might fit with just some serious hammering.

I'd assuming with the subtle Z flares most of your fitment work will be in the front.

I wrote this calculator for finding front and back spacing...

http://www.autolounge.net/calculators/tirespacing.html

Here is the approx BS and FS for the 3 wheels:

8.5" +04 /---/ 4.90"BS /---/ 4.59"FS

9.0" -13 /---/ 4.48"BS /---/ 5.51"FS

9.5" -19 /---/ 4.50"BS /---/ 5.99"FS

So as you can see, the 8.5" sticks out about 1.4" less than a 9.5" and the 9" a little under 1" more than the 8.5". Hope that helps.

8.5 RBRs on my 280Z with 235/45/17 continental tires (stock Audi A4 tires). These pics are with stock suspension. The wheels sit very close to the spring perches. I also had to roll the rear inner fenders edges with these tires because they were cutting into the outer edge of the tire.

IMG_4247.jpg

IMG_3097.jpg

datsuncanyons.jpg

IMG_3476.jpg

Is any one else interested in a wheel wider than 9.5"? I am. I have 9" front and 9.5" rear, but if/when i get the 280YZ body kit, these wheels will not be sufficient. I am thinking at least 10.5 or maybe 11" inches.

If you find a decent number of people who want to do this I would be willing to help you. I suspect though the limits of what is practical might start to come into play though as it may make more sense for these cars to run completely different suspension and hubs, a 10.5 or 11" wide wheel would require around -30mm off offset which starts to become really substantial. Also do note that there will be significantly lighter options at that sizing, it would be more of a for looks wheel probably.

8.5 RBRs on my 280Z. These pics are with stock suspension. The wheels sit very close to the spring perches. I also had to roll the rear inner fenders edges with these tires because they were cutting into the outer edge of the tire.

Thanks for uploading those pics, B. Nice to see what some of these look like on a non-flared car.

Do you have plans to lower your car? If so, do you plan on changing anything about your wheels/flares/tires to prevent rubbing? Will you put flares on?

Heres some shots of mine, picked these up from Kim a few weeks ago.

Rota RBR in hyper black, 17x9 -13 in front with 225x45x17 and 17x9.5 -19 in the back with 235x45x17, since it is the group buy i thought people would know what they where.

picsay-1265689037.jpg

IMAG0248.jpg

Do you have plans to lower your car? If so, do you plan on changing anything about your wheels/flares/tires to prevent rubbing? Will you put flares on?
Car is now lowered via coilovers. It does not rub significantly or noticeably (no strange noises or cutting/wear on the tires) I plan to eventually buy the RBRs in 9" or 9.5" for use with my yet to be installed ZG flares.

A few more of the stance with coilovers, 8.5" RBRs, 235/45/17:

19231_294328199050_785199050_3476827_7879058_n.jpg

19231_292664179050_785199050_3472146_8283961_n.jpg

19549_1202283137798_1250165118_526888_3152777_n.jpg

19549_1202282537783_1250165118_526886_1566713_n.jpg

19231_292658264050_785199050_3472127_3680726_n.jpg

The wheels fit spaceously over the AZC brake kit too :)

14641_236749121912_558361912_4179192_4089261_n.jpg