HybridZ

Rota RB/RB-R, 4x114.3, 17", Z-Offset Wheels

rudypoochris

What would you prefer?  

191 members have voted

1. 1. What would you prefer?

• 17x9.5" -19 On all four corners (as the group buy has been)
    • 17x9" -13 Front and 17x9.5" -19 Rear even if it costs an extra $200 ($950 shipped)
    • 17x9" -13 Front and 17x9.5" -19 Rear at the same price ($750 shipped)

i was told they are out of stock on the gunmetal, and agreed to take a set in hyper black. however i spoke with kim today, he said they sent 2 17x9 in hyper black and he thinks 2 17x8.5 in yamaha black (not sure what that is) and asked me to refuse those 2 as he has also shipped 2 17x8.5 in hyper black after discovering the mixup. problem is i wont be home to refuse them so once they come in ill have to call him back so he can setup return shipping back to his company. this should be an interesting ordeal.

Are the centers on these powder coated or painted, Is it really a two month wait for RGM?

Its hard to tell on my RB-Rs. They have a clearcoat covering the whole front face of the wheel including the "polished lip" portion. I included some pics showing different angles of the naked wheel so you can try to judge for yourself. Obviously I havent tryed to chip the paint to test its thickness or durability and while mine now have tires on them, they still haven't seen the street.

post-2934-12690209364723_thumb.jpg

post-2934-12690209492791_thumb.jpg

post-2934-12690209726734_thumb.jpg

Its hard to tell on my RB-Rs. They have a clearcoat covering the whole front face of the wheel including the "polished lip" portion. I included some pics showing different angles of the naked wheel so you can try to judge for yourself. Obviously I havent tryed to chip the paint to test its thickness or durability and while mine now have tires on them, they still haven't seen the street.

NICE!:2thumbs:

The reason why i ask is if the RGM is back ordered then Royal Hyper Black is my next choice then Silver. I figure I could always paint the centers to the color i want.

The Hyper black looks like it's an in between color between silver and the gunmetal, kinda like they didn't make the silver bright enough or made the gunmetal dark enough or RHB is just another name for "Grey".

RB15HYBLACK.jpg

i was told they are out of stock on the gunmetal, and agreed to take a set in hyper black. however i spoke with kim today, he said they sent 2 17x9 in hyper black and he thinks 2 17x8.5 in yamaha black (not sure what that is) and asked me to refuse those 2 as he has also shipped 2 17x8.5 in hyper black after discovering the mixup. problem is i wont be home to refuse them so once they come in ill have to call him back so he can setup return shipping back to his company. this should be an interesting ordeal.

Thats rough man, I would leave a note on your front door for the delivery guy with a copy of your license to prove identity...i dunno if that's a bad idea or not haha.

If you talk to Kim again, can you ask if you have to pay for the rims entirely if you place a an order that will be on back order or just need to put down a deposit. Thanks!

Edited by Negligence

Thats rough man, I would leave a note on your front door for the delivery guy with a copy of your license to prove identity...i dunno if that's a bad idea or not haha.

If you talk to Kim again, can you ask if you have to pay for the rims entirely if you place a an order that will be on back order or just need to put down a deposit. Thanks!

just call him. i called the number listed on the site and he answered.

North American Distributor:

Cosmic Marketing Corp.

28301 Industrial Blvd Suite V, Hayward, CA 94545

Phone: 510-786-1726

Fax: 510-786-2007

E-mail: kimcosmic[at]juno.com

NICE!:2thumbs:

The reason why i ask is if the RGM is back ordered then Royal Hyper Black is my next choice then Silver. I figure I could always paint the centers to the color i want.

The Hyper black looks like it's an in between color between silver and the gunmetal, kinda like they didn't make the silver bright enough or made the gunmetal dark enough or RHB is just another name for "Grey".

I took some pics for you last night. Here is some comparison pics between my RGM RB-Rs and my friends' hyper black RBs. The RBRs are 17"x9.5" with 275/40/17 Azenis and the RBs are 16"x8" with 225/50/16 Azenis...I could be off with the tire height. He rolls the RBs on his '72 240Z without flares and thin spacers. Check out that lip on the RBRs compared to the RBs. Negative offset FTW!

rota5.jpg

rota4.jpg

rota6.jpg

rota7.jpg

rota8.jpg

rota9.jpg

well got 4 of the wheels yesterday. the rears are correct, but the fronts were in fact yamaha black. gonna call kim later today to see how he wants to handle the return shipping of the wrong fronts. the correct fronts should be here in a couple days.

Well if anyone is running the larger Toyota calipers that can confirm they fit would be great to add to this thread.

I'm running the bigger toyota calipers with no problem. There finned S12's with vented rotors. Give a few days and i'll post some pictures.

the lip on these wheels looks like ALOT more then whats on my 17x9 -13mm rear wheels. he asked if i wanted rb's or rb-r's, i thought they only came in rb-r so thats what i ordered. do the regular rb's have more lip? im begining to wonder if i should of asked for regular rb's. wonder what it would take to exhange them if i wanted to swap. i havent mounted them or had tires mounted. the clear protective covering is still on them actually.

I just got my wheels!!! yaaaay!! They are what everyone sez they are, Now as far as Kim and his communication skills are....well let's just say i was surprised i got it today. He does reply on my emails albeit it's like milking a dead cow because you have to squeeze the information out of him. I didn't get tracking numbers, confirmation of payment thru paypal or shipping dates. I was just waiting patiently coming up on two weeks then i was going to ask him what the deal was. He does deliver but you just have to be patient and if you want information on your order you have to do your due diligence. It's a great product but just have patience.

Edited by Sumo

the lip on these wheels looks like ALOT more then whats on my 17x9 -13mm rear wheels. he asked if i wanted rb's or rb-r's, i thought they only came in rb-r so thats what i ordered. do the regular rb's have more lip? im begining to wonder if i should of asked for regular rb's. wonder what it would take to exhange them if i wanted to swap. i havent mounted them or had tires mounted. the clear protective covering is still on them actually.

I think that's because what you are looking at in those pictures (which are rb-r's by the way) is a 17x9.5 -19 rim and not 17x9 -13. Once you get past a certain width, I defy anyone to actually tell the difference between the rb and the rb-r's. biggrin.gif Just look at the pictures in junglist's post. I'll bet if he hadn't pointed out that they were different, nobody would have ever noticed.

(why can't I turn off the bold and italics?)

Nigel

Edited by Nigel

well when i got home friday i took one of the 17x9's and one of the 17x8.5's out of the box. the 8.5's have 5/8ths more polished lip then the 9in wide. so i called kim. he is sending me a pair of 17x7.5 +4 offset and im sending back the 17x9's. the 17x8.5's will allow me to run the 275/40/17 drag radials without any rubbing issues and will have the wider lip i wanted, plus the spokes will match the front unlike wit hthe 9in in the rear. this is going on an 84 supra so will fill the flares nicely. had i known he had the 17x7.5 +4 in 114.3mm bolt pattern this is the combo i would of ordered to begine with. he only has this size and offset listed as 4x100. oh well. took some time getting everything sorted but itll look good when its all done.

Edited by williamb82
  • Like 1

The 'front' or 17"x9" - 13mm offset RBR wheels for the Z has less lip than the 'rear' 17"x9.5" -19mm offset RBR's...Rudypoocris planned it that way because from the beginning we wanted the rear wheels to have a wider lip than the front wheels. The 17x9 - 13mm RB wheels have a 3" wide lip, but the RBR has more like 2.5".

I think that's because what you are looking at in those pictures (which are rb-r's by the way) is a 17x9.5 -19 rim and not 17x9 -13. Once you get past a certain width, I defy anyone to actually tell the difference between the rb and the rb-r's. biggrin.gif Just look at the pictures in junglist's post. I'll bet if he hadn't pointed out that they were different, nobody would have ever noticed.

I can tell a big difference in person between the RBR and the RB. The RBR's face is noticably flatter and the spokes don't arc as much from the center to the outside lip. I'll try to take some pictures if I can remember to show the difference.

well when i got home friday i took one of the 17x9's and one of the 17x8.5's out of the box. the 8.5's have 5/8ths more polished lip then the 9in wide. so i called kim. he is sending me a pair of 17x7.5 +4 offset and im sending back the 17x9's. the 17x8.5's will allow me to run the 275/40/17 drag radials without any rubbing issues and will have the wider lip i wanted, plus the spokes will match the front unlike wit hthe 9in in the rear. this is going on an 84 supra so will fill the flares nicely. had i known he had the 17x7.5 +4 in 114.3mm bolt pattern this is the combo i would of ordered to begine with. he only has this size and offset listed as 4x100. oh well. took some time getting everything sorted but itll look good when its all done.

So, I guess you aren't running any of the wheels from this groupbuy then, but I'm glad you got some wheels from him that you like. They are pretty nice wheels for what they are and the price paid. I'd love to have some watanabe's but with everything else I had to and still need to buy to get my car running and on the road the cost of some 'real' wheels like Watanabe's or SSR's or any nice old school JDM wheels 16" or 17" with nice offsets was prohibitive. With the money I've 'saved' by getting these Rota wheels, I'm able to get nicer stuff for the rest of the car...Sparco seats, better turbo parts instead of used parts or knock-off brands, fully adjustable suspension all of which I've bought, but probably couldn't have afforded if I spent $3,000 for wheels instead of $750.

The 'front' or 17"x9" - 13mm offset RBR wheels for the Z has less lip than the 'rear' 17"x9.5" -19mm offset RBR's...Rudypoocris planned it that way because from the beginning we wanted the rear wheels to have a wider lip than the front wheels. The 17x9 - 13mm RB wheels have a 3" wide lip, but the RBR has more like 2.5".

from speaking with kim the only 17x9 -13 they make is the rb-r's. if he had the 17x9 -3 in the rb with a 3in lip id have asked for those and kept the 8.5's for the front like i planned. honestly after seeing te 8.5 on the back of my car i think itll work out better. i wont have to try and pull the fenders etc... and i can still run the 275/40/17 nt555r drag radials as i wanted. if you look at the car domain page for my 84 supra you can see ive bought tons of stuff for it as well. havent posted all the pics from the last month yet though plus im still waiting on my rear bbk to arrive and the rest of my twin plate tilton clutch for my t56 swap as well.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2042690/