HybridZ

Rota RB/RB-R, 4x114.3, 17", Z-Offset Wheels

rudypoochris

What would you prefer?  

191 members have voted

1. 1. What would you prefer?

• 17x9.5" -19 On all four corners (as the group buy has been)
    • 17x9" -13 Front and 17x9.5" -19 Rear even if it costs an extra $200 ($950 shipped)
    • 17x9" -13 Front and 17x9.5" -19 Rear at the same price ($750 shipped)

• 2 weeks later...

I was just alerted by the distributor that center caps ARE included in the wheel purchase. In the past only the rear center caps have fit our vehicles. I suspect that will be the same on this batch. With out the hub dimensions though there is not much I can do about it. Also, in this situation I think it better to simply focus on getting the wheels all squared away anyway.

If center caps is shown to be a big deal I am sure I can look into it. In my opinion though we should tackle these wheels first. I wouldn't know where to begin on the center cap fitment.

Okay. So I let the representative know about the past issues with the center caps not fitting on the fronts and asked if there is an optional larger size or if he could supply some advice. He replied basically saying that "the cap is big enough to cover the hub". Hopefully it is true. If I am supplied with some dimensions I could forward them to him to make it "crystal clear".

I'd imagine due to the offset, the front rims would have to be excessively thick in the hub area or something to cover that area. That, or dome shaped caps rather than the traditional snap-in disks. I would opt for coverage if I could, but again, I just want the rims. :wink:

I am dubious as well. Just looking at them it is hard to imagine a normal cap that WOULD fit.

Just a comment about the Toyota 4x4 vented setup, on my past set of Rota 16x8" wheels I DID have clearance issues. The issue spawned from the brake literally being too small, so the caliper was too close to the center of the hub where the meat of the wheel is. I decided to upgrade to 12.2" brakes, alternatively, a small (5-8mm) spacer would have corrected the problem or I could have ground down the extra iron on the calipers, or the aluminum of the wheel.

As for these wheels clearing stock springs. I would think that they should. Check post #60 image 4. There was 5/8"-3/4" of clearance between the mock wheel and my coil over spring perch. The coil over perch is ~3.5" OD. If you could measure your spring perch OD that would be appreciated. This setup should clear a 4.75"-5" OD spring perch.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay guys. I know you all are anxious and I know this group buy is behind the time estimate. For those of you who were not sticking with the thread (I don't blame you!), the original time ended up getting pushed back a bit (post #261). Unfortunately there was a misunderstanding about offsets between the Rota rep and myself. The issue was corrected, but the estimated time became February/March. Now the better half of February has passed and you are all wondering what is going on, naturally. Thankfully, there IS good news.

I called the representative just now to find out definitively what is going on, as I too seem to be kept in the dark when it comes to email only communication. Basically a pair of samples should be arriving to me this coming Friday. The first is the 17x9.5" -19 and the second is the 17x9" -13. The representative has let me know that both of these sizes will be available. Which is a big plus. I don't think it will cost any more than the original $750. I will do whatever I can to get those wheels on my car the day they arrive and confirm fitment. Once that is done, the rep let me know that they will go right into mass producing them and HOPEFULLY we can all get our set of wheels in a short time.

I am terribly sorry for the long wait guys. I really am. I am doing the best I can to stay on top of this and I, as much as all of you, would love to get these wheels ASAP. Back in July of 2007 I never would have thought that this would take so long, but naturally it has. If any of you all would like to back out of the group buy, just let me know and no harsh feelings. I have not, and the rep SHOULD not have (if he did email me ASAP) taken any money from any of you. Once again, I am sorry for the delay and not updating this more frequently, but most of my time spent around this group buy has mainly been waiting and getting the same responses from the representative. Hopefully these wheels will come through quickly from here on out.

If any one has any concerns at all, or comments feel free to post them here or contact me directly via the PM system.

Thanks!

-Chris

Thanks guys. I will see if I can't order a set of ZG flares tomorrow morning (as per ZG flare suggestion... it really is about time I get these any way...). I am working on getting a junk 255/40/17 for picture and measurement purposes as well.

Which source of ZG flares are most of you using or planning on running? I was thinking about using the ones located here:

http://classicdatsun.com/

I think someone is also working on duplicating a rare wider rear flare as well... :)

I shall measure everything and most likely photograph with the tape in the pictures. I ordered my set of ZG flares just moments ago. Hopefully they shall make it in time. If not I will proceed with out them, but it would be better to see the relationship between the tire and the fender first hand. I just ordered a used 255/40/17 and a 275/40/17 for measurements. :)

Me too! I just called the rep again to get information on the shipment. The representative believes the manufacturer sent it out yesterday by air. I doubt it will make it here before this weekend though unfortunately. On the flip side that gives time for the rubber, zg, flares, and the rear control arms to come in so I can get a nice mounted setup. The representative said it would most likely be 3-4 weeks after we give the thumbs up for our orders to arrive at our doors.

Sorry about the delays guys, really. We are getting very close though! :)

If it is true and these will fit over the stock suspension I will purchase a set....My wife will be pissed but I will. I would like to know what the final outcome is. A 9 on all 4 corners, or a 9 in front with a 9.5 in back? Color options?

There will be a 9" front offered and a 9.5" rear. It is the buyers option if they would like 9.5" all around or 9" alternatively. The color options are posted here:

http://rotawheel.com/rb1.htm

Additional colors may be available if you ask the representative when he takes your information down. I will take pictures of the wheels mounted with a ruler next to them so you can judge if they will clear a stock suspension. :)

so question

will this be a one time run or will they have these sizes and offsets available for later purchase?

I have answered this multiple times in this thread, but no worries, it is a long one I know! :)

To answer your question I would THINK that there would still be availability through Rota after this group buy. I am not positive though. It doesn't seem to make sense for them to make a mold just to abandon it.

Hope that helps!

For the rest of you, I called the rep again to day. No news still unfortunately. :(

yeah, the last email i had was a end of Feb eta... whats holding it up? other production?

Nope, the original issue was basically that the rep misunderstood the offset and they went ahead and made molds for a positive 19 offset. They had to go and redo it. Now we are just waiting for the wheels to come in. They were shipped last week or the end of the week before, but there isn't tracking information apparently. I have just been calling the rep every two days to get an update, but it is mostly the same story.

Its actually a he (I used the term "she" in the past). And yes, he will be sending out an email requesting payment and confirming options once the wheels are ready for manufacture. I will phone him again if I do not get word from him by 3:30pm today.
woops just assumed it was a female.. Kim and all... my bad.. sounds great.. well, i wont bug him then if your making the calls. i'll just check this thread and wait for an email. my email has changed.. i gave him my new email redarmbandguy@yahoo.com

I just called the representative. He says he corresponded with the factory and they have not sent out the wheels yet... Which is a big surprise to me, as the representative has been saying otherwise for the past two weeks... He promised they would be sent out within the next two days via air. They SHOULD be here by Monday (I am not sure if he is being ambitious or genuine). There is little I can do about this right now... We shall see...

Sorry for the bad news guys. I'm at the mercy of the rep who is at the mercy of the manufacturer. Its frustrating, I know. :ugg:

While this time is being eaten up now, I think and hope, that this extra time lost will only lead ultimately to a better product. I would imagine there are many factors that come into play before a wheel can be made - let alone made to look nice and function properly. Lets hope the pace picks up here. Hang in there guys.

rudypoochris, I would first like to commend your efforts on putting this together; it's obviously cost you many an hour on the computer! I've only read the first three and last three pages, so is it still possible to get in on this? Did anyone figure out approx. what the wheels would weigh?

I called yesterday around ~4pm and the representative thought he had the wheels come in, but he wasn't sure. So today I called and he confirmed two box's with the samples came in! I am going down to Hayward right now (1:30) drive and will pick them up - hopefully they are correct - get the junk 255/40 and 275/40 tires mounted at a local shop, then drive up (1:30 min) to my cars location and take pictures, mount, etc. I will TRY to stop by my house in the Bay Area along the way to bathroom scale them, but not promises. Wish me luck!

Well lets first hope they are right! :)

Thanks for the offer! Lets wait until the deal is sealed though. :)

Okay, so I am now at my place in Oakland and I got the wheels weighed on the bathroom scale ~20lbs for the 9.0" and ~21lbs for the 9.5" wide. The design is the Rota RB, which means it doesn't have the flatter spokes I thought it would have. Apparently there are two designs - RB and RB-R. The RB-R has flat spokes and looks more similar to the Watanabe R-Type. I have spoken with the rep. and I believe he is willing to do the RB-R's also (he is inquiring with the manufacturer about timing), but that will only be a matter of waiting. The RB-R in my mind should be about ~1lb lighter, but I will ask him if there is any way to lighten them up. In any case, the samples are here. A 17x9" -13 and a 17x9.5" -19. I am off to the tire shop right now to get them mounted. Then driving back to Davis ~60 minutes to fit them to the car, take pictures, all that good stuff. Heres a couple pictures, they are un-painted samples. Note the extra curvature on the spokes. This and the RB-R should end up being options for us, as well as the 9" front and standard 9.5" rear. The RB's will be available right away provided there are no offset/fitment corrections.

Untitled-1_thumb.jpg

6095_thumb.attach

Alrighty! I got them mounted up, took dimensions, and took photos. There is some good and some bad. Here is a summary:

The bad:

-Right off the bat, the bolt holes are physically too small to fit a socket into! I will let Rota know of this and it is a non-issue.

-The front wheel rubs the tension rod at full lock left (on the driver wheel) or full lock right (passenger wheel).

The good:

-The rears fit perfectly fine.

-The fronts look like they will fit pretty well with an air dam or valance trimming.

First things first I took measurements on the front using the 17x9" -13 at full droop (pictured below) with the 255/40/17 tire. Some back ground on the car, I have bump steer spacers and coil overs. I am using 280z hubs front and rear on 240z struts.

1Fulldroop.jpg

The distance from the closest part of the wheel/tire to the actual body of the strut is approximately ~1.75". Can someone with a stock suspension chime in and let me know if this distance is sufficient? Shown below:

2SpringPerchfront.jpg

The distance at full lock right (on the drivers side) to the flange of the frame rail is ~.600". There is a slight interference at the lower valance, but it just barely touches. Installation of and air dam or trimming of the valance should make this a non-issue - the problem is only apparent where the valance starts to turn in. Both the rail clearance and valance interference shown below.

3Frameclearance.jpg

4Valanceinterference.jpg

At full lock left (on the drivers side) the letters on the 255mm tire contact the tension control rod. This would make me think that I should advise an additional 4mm spacing of the wheel outwards. This will provide more clearance between the spring perch and the wheel and should also ensure that the T/C rod does not contact the tire. My alignment has not been done and I merely "eyeballed" the straight position, but even if my alignment is a bit off, I think this spot is a bit too close. I would recommend a -17 front offset instead of the -13. Any thoughts? Pictured below.

5TCInterfere.jpg

Additionally, the clearance between the frame rail flange and the tire is ~.750" which is more than sufficient since when loaded, the control arm will push the wheel farther outward. Clearance between the wheel and the fender is sufficient to be run with out ZG flares - there is no issue there loaded or unloaded. Below is the wheel at full droop, massive wheel gap (I

am hoping the ZG's are approximately in the right area).

6Wheelgapfront.jpg

Now onto the compressed photos. I compressed the suspension as much as I could with out removing the 200# front spring and Suspension Techniques front sway bar, this lifted the entire front of the car. Note I have bump steer spacers though, so the angle of the control arm is still pointing in the "down" direction, with out them the angle would probably be about flat. Picture of the remaining travel shown as well.

7LCA.jpg

8Travel.jpg

At this loaded setting, the wheel contacted the valance a significant amount more. With an air dam or trimmed lower valance this should no matter though - even if the -17 offset is used instead of this -13. The available steering angle is less than full lock shown above.

9Valanceinterference.jpg

At this loading the tension rod still contacts the lettering on the wheel, that aspect did not seem to change. The clearance between frame rail and tire is increased both full lock right and left. Below is a beauty shot showing the approximate alignment of the outside of the tire with the ZG flare. The second figure shows the wheel gap in the "loaded" position.

10Beautyshot.jpg

11LoadedGap.jpg

On to the rears... This was much less eventful. Basically I believe the offset of -19 to be correct. The first picture illustrates the wheel gap at full droop, unfortunately my LCA's for the rear could not be installed and thus a loaded position could not be obtained. There really isn't any issue here though when it comes to clearance. If only the fronts were as simple as the rear. The 275/40/17 tire looks to be the perfect size for this 17x9.5" -19. The spacing between the strut tube and the wheel/tire is ~1.75". Please advise to stock suspension clearance here.

12Fulldrooprear.jpg

13Clearance.jpg

Conclusion:

1. I will tell the rep. we need 30mm bolt hole diameters which should be enough to fit a 13/16" or 21mm socket. (The current holes at 27.8mm)

2. The front wheels need to be spaced out an additional bit. I recommend 4mm more which makes for a 17x9" -17 front wheel. Using a 245/40/17 this would probably not be an issue, but I really feel like that is cutting it too close. I also think 255mm looks appropriate for this width. Feedback please.

3. For those of you running stock spring perches, advise as to whether or not there is enough clearance. Mine were removed long ago, so I really can't comment here.

4. I will talk with the rep. a bit and find out what it will take time wise to get the RB-R's as well. I think these RB's look great, but I like the RB-R (flat spoke) much more. I will also ask the rep. to see if he can get the RB-R made lighter (since it will need a new mold any way) while maintaining safety for the street.

Any questions, comments, etc. Very much appreciated! :)

BTW: For those of you still wanting to run a 17x9.5" 19 front, I do not recommend this. There was the same TC interference as with the 17x9" but a little worse due to the increase bulge of the 275mm tire. The TC rod could be ground down to fit this setup, or a small spacer could be used, if you are really determined in running the 9.5" front. I also tested for valance interference and it was considerably more (~.5"), with a spacer it would increase as well. This PROBABLY is not an issue with an air dam, but I cannot make an educated guess that far out. Hope that does not disappoint. If it does, let me know and I will see if I can work something out, take more measurement, and such for getting the 9.5" front to fit.

Thanks Rudy,

Could you post a picture and clearance to the tie-rod?

I am lowering my outers and I would love to see what clearance you have there.

Does this help:

Tierod.jpg

I can get you that dimension when I go back tomorrow with the micrometer. Are you looking for minimum distance between rim and ball joint?