HybridZ

Power steering Removal??

It has been asked before but no good posts: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=85745&highlight=power+steering+loop

I searched for quite awhile and came up empty.

Does anyone know how to "properly" remove the power steering assist from the rack and pinion to go manual? Or has someone looped theirs without any problems?

I already removed the pump and reservoir line going to the rack. Is it safe to just loop it? I already found they DEFINATELY shouldn't be plugged!! :ugg: I ended up looping it and it seems like might be fighting more pressure than with the pump connected but idle.

Is it necesary to remove the rotary valve or also loop the fluid lines? This is for an 82 280ZXT GL.

Thanks for any insights!!

Edit: Now that I pressed the post button it dawned on me...loop the fluid lines with each other and plug the four holes in the rack. That should take the "power" out of the equation and return fluid from one side of the rack to the other??? I'm still kind of puzzled how it all works, but this this helped me a bit: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/steering4.htm

I believe the power steering without the pump connected is actually alot heavier to steer compare to a regular manual rack. This was the reason why I swapped out my power rack and crossmember for the manual rack set up. Give it a try with your method and see what happens. Worst come to worst you will build up some muscle in your arms afterward. Good luck

Hey thanks for the Re: Vinh!

I agree, the steering is a LOT heavier than regular manual (compared to my 260). I might take your suggestion and get a manual rack, they run$250-300 through black dragon, but I may be able to get it cheaper somewhere else...

What still puzzles me is that the steering was lighter when the pump was connected, but idle. This leads me to believe there is still something not right with the way I just looped it. There seems to be SIX places where hoses / tubes connect to the column part of the rack...I need to find fittings that will work for looping the tubes at the ends of the rack, not just the pump / reservior.