HybridZ

There's always a cure for displacement

dosquattro

I've got my harness pretty much all done but not sure how I'm gonna fit the harness though the exist harness hole in the firewall. As there's more meat to the 4G harness then the L28's harness. Where there's a will...there's a way though!

Home Depot ought to have you taken care of.. It's just a rubber grommet. Go to a store and find what diameters you can obtain, then get out a hole saw and cut the hole in the firewall to the needed size. I *think* harbor freight may even carry a selection of these guys for like, five bucks or so.. It is a common item.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am EXTREMELY interested to see the fitment of this with the trans attached. The 4g is the only other 4 banger I'd consider, aside from an SR, and is a phenomenal engine. I just sold my 90 Talon last year, with 250,000 miles on the original engine (never even been cracked open), running 12 second quarter miles for 5+ years. I have NEVER seen something so tough; all of the planets must have been lined up when that damn thing came out of the factory.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I bought a 92 Eclipse GSX new (just got rid of it - total beater!!!) and recently got a 91 Galant VR-4. My only complaint with that design is the balance shaft belt that breaks easily and falls into the timing belt causing it to jump time and crash the valves. I had that happen to the GSX, and when I got the VR-4 it had just happened to it!

The Evo X is coming with a replacement to the 4G63: the aluminum 4B11T:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_GEMA_engines

Nice thing is that the timing belt is now a chain! Lighter and more powerful too!

I currently drive a 92 GVR4 so that's one reason I went with a 4G not to mention it's tough as nails and you can get power from it by just looking at it. I also with it as it's alittle cheaper then doing a SR swap as 4G longblocks can be found cheap and easily down at the local boneyard.

• 3 months later...
I currently drive a 92 GVR4 so that's one reason I went with a 4G not to mention it's tough as nails and you can get power from it by just looking at it. I also with it as it's alittle cheaper then doing a SR swap as 4G longblocks can be found cheap and easily down at the local boneyard.

Dosquattro,

I too have a vr4 that I DD and I to am presently doing a few swaps into another vr4 with all evo 8 motor/driveline and suspension and brakes, basically put a vr4 body onto a evo chassis and call it good, the other project is a '64 fairlady roadster with RWD 4g63 turbo power, I have yet to decide on what transmission I want to use as there is a guy locally that has a 4g64 block that will work with a starion transmission w/o any mods, he says that the block came from a lancer? Can't verify it yet as I don't have the motor. Wow seems like datsuns and mitsu's do mix much to the sr20/510 crowd.. good luck with the swap and I hope to post up some pix of the other swap with a datsun 620 pickup with the VH45 in it!!!!!

Conrad

antioch,ca

650-302-5127

Well I received a pm about this project. Well it's still a project, but for someone else. With the addition of my son at the end of this past August I just didn't have the time nor did I want to be missing these early months out in the garage wrenching away. I can always get another Z but these times I can't get back or watch in some video and get the same effect out of them. I sold my GVR4 also to get something newer and wound up in a car I missed muched after I sold it.... A 96 Volvo 850R. I still have love for Datsuns but maybe I'll find another when I can enjoy it with my son and teach him a thing. Setting him in a high chair in my garage wasn't what I had in mind either. lol. The Z though went to another HybridZ member so it's still here.

BLKMGK, you heard right! AWD Colt have been done, and I happen to own one :wink: I think a 4g63 in a Z would be an awsome swap! The engines are extremely strong, and if you know a thing or two about DSM's you can get 400 hp at the wheels relatively cheap. I can't wait to see this swap done, just make sure you include lots of pics on your progress and keep us all updated.

Whoops! Just noticed this project came to a hault. Bummer :-(

• 2 weeks later...

Dude, I don't easily move my L series BLOCK around on my own...

Gollum,

The L-series BLOCK is six cyl. long and cast iron, not good for picking up. (though I can drag a complete L28ET across the floor without too much trouble...picking it up....well that's a different story)

Plus, it's easier to pick up a motor from a squatting position, as in getting an engine out of a van, than from the floor, esp a longblock because you can grab the manifolds....

I was able to get a full dressed chevy 350 onto a pallet myself, it's all about using the rounded surfaces of the motor and inertia to your advantage (LOL) :)

P.S.-I'm 5'6" and weigh 145 soaking wet.... if I can do it, well you know.....:P

• 1 year later...