HybridZ

My project Z

Figured I would post my project here, just to put out my info.

I have a 78 280 Z. Formerly Black Pearl. Sun Roof.

Odo Shows 77,000, which means 177,000 at least.

Frame and Body are SOLID. Only 1 rust hole in frame, maybe 2 inches around. That was removed, and fixed with a metal patch. Besides that, nothing more than minor surface rust.

I bought the car last year and put it into a bodyshop owned by a friends grandfather. Just got it back. WHole other story there. But, this is what I have done so far:

Removed rear bumper and put on a roll pan. Removed the black door bumper thing along the sides, and had all holes filled.

Removed the rear side markers. Asked them to remove the forward side markers, but they forgot.

Car is painted a 2005 Ford 500 Metalic Burgandy. Very very very light flake, have to get on it to see it, but just enough.

New Z emblems on the sides.

Now for the plan:

Exterior:

New Z Hood Emblem

New 280Z emblems

Carbon Fiber front fender (Already have it and brackets)

Carbon Fiber rear light panel (Panel where tailights, license plate, etc go) (Already have this as well)

New Headlight chrome rings

Passenger rear quater glass (bodyshop lost mine)

All new kick plates, door handles, window chrome (already have)

Fix leaky hatch (paid bodyshop to put in new seals I bought. It leaks like a faucet at this point.)

Interior

All new carpets (already have)

As much sound deadening material as is practical.

Redo Seats

Fix very small (for a Z) dash crack. Not gonna go with a cap, really do not like those. It is gonna cost a lot, but I would rather be happy than have an extra $200 in my pocket and hate my dash.

Finding a factory radio, preferably AM and putting it in place. ( only listen to AM radio, music is from MP3s)

Putting a modern, MP3 playing head unit in the glove box, wiring in MP3 jack to the console. Z is already fitted for 2, 10 Inch woofers, which is too much, so probably put 1 8 inch in one hole, and the amps in the second hole. Will put in 4 High quality speakers with one amp driving all 4, and another amp to drive woofer. Not a big audiophile or loud for the sake of loud guy, but I do like to crank my tunes at times.

Replace center console (step kids kindly dropped their bikes on the perfect one I have, cracking it in 2 places)

Replace all cracked or damaged plastic bits and panels (already have most of this)

Do the Blower mod to get better A/C, but mine is cold now, just weak blower.

My clock works!

Suspension/Brakes

I have a full set of Arizona Z Car disk brakes, and full suspension. Will install these, giving me a wide range of ride ability, height adjustment, and wheel selection. With these mods, I will be able to select from a variety of rims.

I will most likely go with a 17" rim (I will be able to use any rim that would fit 1994 to 2000 Mustangs) and a slightly taller profile tire for compliance

Drop ride an inch or so, to give a more aggressive stance, and with 17s, fill the wheel wells a bit.

Full bushing kit (already have)

Front and Rear crossover bars (forgot the right name, the bars that cross over and brace from shock tower to shock tower)

Engine/Drive Train

1983 Tubro engine, rebuilt (already have)

Powder coated valve cover (already have)

AZC Deep oil pan (already have)

Mega squirt and Mega spark, no dizzy, every option

Looking for a custom header, I HATE the log, even though it works fine. I also want to keep my A/C, so if need be, I will have a manifold made for me (there are several good speed shops here in NJ)

Turbo (will look into which one, want to make sure I have a good balance between lack of lag, and overall boost and flow. Read a lot on this topic, but still torn)

Exterior Waste Gate and Blow off (Have BOV)

I have a 1982 280ZX Turbo donor car. I may take the tranny from that one, or keep the tranny I have. Either way, tranny is getting rebuilt.

3 Disk clutch

LSD rear will be installed. Not electric.

That about does it. I really want to make this one of the nicest Zs out there. I am not building this to sell. I am building this to have the car I wanted when I was 18. I had several Zs, but they were all of the $500 to $1000 variety, so not so nice. This one is going to be my baby. My goal is to make a streetable, fairly fast (I am looking for 300 RWHP, 250 RWT), great handling, nice looking car. I alos know that none of this is cheap and I will NEVER get my money back, but again, this is for me, not for money. I figure I am going ot be about $20 to $25K into the car by the time I am done.

Will post pics as I progress. Will put up some of the paint job. Very happy with most of it, but mostly happy to have my Z and be working on it.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...